Ghost Recon: Wildlands (2016)

Shoot the shit.
Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Re: Ghost Recon: Wildlands (2016)

Postby Snowy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:45 am

While I freely admit that I am disappointed with what Ubi has produced here compared to what they could have done, it is still a game more aimed at my palate than most that come along.

EDIT: OK had a massive co-op session with El Gaucho earlier today, and had an absolute riot. As a co-op shooter is where this really comes into its own.

It is fair to say that as a team of highly skilled ninjas, we were not quite on the levels shown in the early demo 'playthroughs' of missions. We would get started OK, but then one of us would fuck up and all hell would break loose. This made for some really enjoyable gameplay though, and some spectacular (if rather less punishing than the GR of old) escapades. We had a mission for example to capture a bad guy. We started well, sneaking into his base, silently thinning the herd, until blunder-bollocks here missed the same guy about 5 times in a row until we brought the base crashing down about around our ears. The baddie promptly grabbed an SUV and sped off in it. We had come in via helicopter, which I was close to, so rather than let the mission fail yelled for us to get to the choppahhh, only for El Gaucho to say for me to go without him as he was too far away.

What followed was like something out of a bad action movie - my helo had no armament, and as Gaucho wasn't on board I had nothing with which to stop the fleeing villain. Except the helo itself. First pass I zipped ahead of him before plonking the helo down on the road, only for him to barge by. From that point, seeing Gaucho close up the distance in his stolen wheels, I started using the helo as a ram, swooping down and bashing the bad guy off the road with it, landing on top of his SUV and other such silliness, until he got so pissed off with me he decamped and tried to run for it. Gaucho showed up just as I grabbed the fucker and interrogated him at gunpoint. We then climbed back into the (utterly fucked) helo and took off, black smoke pouring from it.

Or the time when I failed to account for bullet penetration and blew a huge fuel dump to smithereens along with the plane we were trying to steal. Or when Gaucho fragged an enemy chopper passing overhead, and stopped to watch it arc gently out of the sky in a cloud of flames and land right on his noggin. Several hours enjoyed in a highly enjoyable and occasionally tactical bit of co-op gaming :D
Last edited by Snowy on Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

elgaucho

Postby elgaucho » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:26 pm

I think most of my afternoon just vanished after playing this with Snowy today! :shock:

I have to say... in coop, this game is fun - plenty of moments when we went head in on some situations, more often winding up dead, but also having fun in the process.

I'm thinking of one particular camp that i think we approached three times, before finally driving a tank in and sending rebels from the opposite end to corner the opposition.

I'm not playing on any uber difficulty, and i don't think the session i joined with Snowy was either (i didn't particularly notice any formidable AI), but if the higher difficulties increase the challenge, i could see some longevity for those wanting a tense experience.

That said, i have a number of criticisms:

- vehicle handling is atrocious.
- The storyline.... i mean what? the opening scene has some girl saying how her "friend" died - zero emotion. get a voice actor i can care about. And not some latino cheesy accent fool that is annoying to listen to. This has no plot, other than to further the activities the game wants you to do.
- Vehicle radio music and chatter is way too repetitive
- AI felt a bit... meh? not that it matters with your relative squishiness and their aim
- Too Much Far Cry 2
- Too Much Just Cause
- Too Samey

That last one is the one that worries me. These open world games all work the same. Introduce the world, give me a variety of "activities" that I can do. But where's the divergent gameplay? Evolution? Reason to keep playing?

Mordor is the closest i've enjoyed to something like this, and even then i was getting saturated by the end of the game.

If I cared about the story, or the missions had an element of uniqueness (if Witcher 3 can add a reason to care for all its missions then this should be able to too!) then i might feel an emotional investment to stick with it.

The ONLY reason to play this is for some coop fun with friends. Because i did have fun this afternoon! :P
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:46 pm

Yep. Said same thing. Good fun in coop. Dismal otherwise.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:06 pm

elgaucho wrote:That last one is the one that worries me. These open world games all work the same. Introduce the world, give me a variety of "activities" that I can do. But where's the divergent gameplay? Evolution? Reason to keep playing?

Mordor is the closest i've enjoyed to something like this, and even then i was getting saturated by the end of the game.

If I cared about the story, or the missions had an element of uniqueness (if Witcher 3 can add a reason to care for all its missions then this should be able to too!) then i might feel an emotional investment to stick with it.

The ONLY reason to play this is for some coop fun with friends. Because i did have fun this afternoon! :P

See now I am not the least bothered about the missions being a bit samey. For me the story is completely irrelevant, and I always knew it would be. I switch off completely in the exposition, as what I want from the game (and get) are masses of fun little vignettes, be they huge bases or three guys guarding a vehicle and all points between. In that regard, this game is like the Dead Island series - who cares what the missions are, when you have a mate or two on Skype and you are carving through the zombie hordes together. The narrative is there purely to give you a reason to go somewhere and get stuck into some co-op fun - that the story is an execrable mess badly voice-acted is irrelevant. I have my regular co-op buddy who I am fairly sure slapped down the cash for the gold edition of this today, so know that when we are both online there will be this to drop into and have some fun with. The AI is not brilliant but still managed to flank me a good few times, and killed us both frequently today. The vehicle handling is functional rather than fun, but I have got my head around the weird way the helicopter flies and can now pull off some fairly neat flying. The gunplay is decent, the impact of sniper rounds hitting their victims with a WhhhhhhTHUD and hurling them off their feet in a cloud of gore never gets old.

Bottom line. There is so much here that Ubi have fucked up - it constantly amazes me that a dev who manage to spin straw out of gold so fucking often are still in business. Despite that though, and despite what the game could (and fucking SHOULD) have been, what you are left with is still fun, and for me that's enough. For many others I know it won't be and that's cool.

elgaucho

Postby elgaucho » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:27 pm

You're totally right for you - you know what you like, and i think you'll get the desired enjoyment from it! :)

The AI did get us plenty of times, true - but i'm a reckless player at the best of times, so i don't call that an achievement! You'll recall i did most of the dying! Although your two or three Rambo moments were definitely fun to watch! "Oh - maybe that was a biiit reckless!" :lol:

I've got a lot of games with longevity on the table now. If not, i'd definitely pick this up for a shot of more of what we did today. As it is... i'm on the fence, and it will probably depend on how fickle i'm feeling about my spending.
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:39 pm

Just out of curiosity, was anyone thinking this would be even remotely enjoyable as a single player game? Right from that first announcement trailer, it was so obviously meant to be a co-op experience.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:56 am

Raid wrote:Just out of curiosity, was anyone thinking this would be even remotely enjoyable as a single player game? Right from that first announcement trailer, it was so obviously meant to be a co-op experience.
I've played pretty much every other ghost recon in solo and co-op, and they've managed to stand up in both. Didn't think the idea was too unreasonable to expect. :shock:

Even in the roller coaster, on rails games like (console) GRAW and Future Soldier, you had some semblance of squad controls. Here, commanding the AI is so inefficient and cack-handed it's not worth even bothering with.

Hrhm! Well, I'm going to try and get original Ghost Recon working on Windows 10. In the mood to play something tactical now.
End of an Era

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:17 am

Raid wrote:Just out of curiosity, was anyone thinking this would be even remotely enjoyable as a single player game? Right from that first announcement trailer, it was so obviously meant to be a co-op experience.

I have played a fair bit of it on SP and enjoyed myself, although it is co-op that makes it.

It helps to just ignore the AI for the most part, although having multiple target sync-shots is very handy for some of the missions where you need to isolate a vehicle or individual

EDIT: The sheer crass idiocy of the twats' speech does rile me though. It is bad enough that there is no context to their occasional drivel, but when they all start chattering away as you stealth through a town it is completely out of place. I just did a (solo, and fun :)) stealth stealing of a supply helicopter, and it went beautifully, ghostly silent takedowns all the way.

"Well that was messy as shit" pipes up one of the retards as we clamber into the helo. #-o

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:02 am

Subway Diet wrote:I've played pretty much every other ghost recon in solo and co-op, and they've managed to stand up in both. Didn't think the idea was too unreasonable to expect. :shock:

I suppose I wasn't considering Wildlands as part of a series. Ghost Recon games are so radically different from one another that I was only considering it in a vacuum.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:13 am

I don't think it says much about a game if you can't enjoy the exact same experience on your own. Adding friends and cooping it might be a fun social activity but if the exact same underlying gameplay mechanics and design are not fun on your own then there's something fundamentally bad about your game. Watching paint dry is more fun with a group of friends, doesn't mean I'd want to do it though.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:38 am

I am not sure that holds up Dave, some of my favourite titles only work well as co-op experiences:
- Left 4 Dead 1 & 2
- Dead Island & Riptide
- Dying Light
- ARMA

All of those are cracking titles, but only when you add some like-minded friends to the mix. Sure you can play them solo but the game is much less for it. I mean, surely by that token all of the COD, Battlefield, DOTA, Team Fortress etc adversarial games are balls too? Wildlands is just a game aimed at the co-op multiplayer segment rather than the adversarial.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:27 pm

I don't think the same logic can be applied to adversarial games like TF2 or Battlefield as they are clearly intended as online competitive experiences, but I take your point. I love Left 4 Dead and would never have played it much alone, but I think that was more due to poor AI making it tedious rather than the gameplay being lacking. Same with the other titles, they might not be as fun solo but they do still hold up as something you would get some enjoyment out of in some form (I played Dead Island solo as well as coop and enjoyed it both times).

This Ghost Recon game however looks like the exact kind of cookie cutter game that I would hate on my own, and if I can't get any enjoyment out of what a game has to offer solo then simply adding friends is unlikely to change that. It happened with Borderlands when I cooped it after trying the campaign single player first. It was still dull as dishwater and very bland.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:40 pm

L4D was a brilliant game for coop loved that. Haven't played in ages.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:37 pm

PW L4D session one evening soon?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:04 pm

I would definitely be up for that. Would probably be rusty as hell though, put 500+ hours into both of them but it's been a good three or four years since I played it!

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action