Ghost Recon: Wildlands (2016)

Shoot the shit.
Subway Diet

Re: Ghost Recon: Wildlands (2016)

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:23 pm

Snowy wrote:And baby makes three... yes how did I forget that little gem!

I can see how it would fail to float boats, but my big gaming love is tactical co-op and is not a genre combo that is overflowing with options!

Absolutely this could and should be more than it is, but even as it is it provides me with enough to keep myself amused for some considerable time to come, and that's enough for me.
My love is for tactical shooters that can be played co-op if you wish, but the sole enjoyment doesn't depend on getting friends together and making your own fun. A genre apparently even less well served these days. :o

Ah, I've banged that drum enough. I'm still looking forward to hearing further opinions on the game. :)
End of an Era

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:32 pm

I wouldn’t go so far as to say that the only enjoyment can be gleaned in co-op, although it is undoubtedly more engaging with one or more other human players.

I played some yesterday for a couple of hours before my co-op buddy logged in, and it was perfectly playable. I had my cover blown once by the AI, but on the flip side careful positioning and judicious use of the sync shot ability led to some surgical mission completions.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:04 pm

I'd be up for a game tomorrow night if you're about Snowy?
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:58 am

I certainly will be mate, am working from home today so will be available from around 5pm.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:27 am

Missed you last night Phil. Will be on tonight and over the weekend, ping me on uPlay or Skype if you are around.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:50 am

Will do! :D

Oranje Head

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:47 pm

IGN Review - 7.9/10
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/03/09/g ... iew?page=2

PC Gamer Review - 67/100
http://www.pcgamer.com/ghost-recon-wildlands-review/

Eurogamer review says it's serviceable but generally soulless.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... nds-review

It certainly looks like an Ubisoft game.

Spoiler: show

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:59 pm

Mantis wrote:
Any lingering thoughts that I might try this at some point have been extinguished. How horrifying!
End of an Era

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:11 pm

Oh no things to do! :cry:

Oranje Head

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:22 pm

Quietman wrote:Oh no things to do! :cry:
It's a checklist of inconsequential shite that removes all sense of discovery from a game! These Ubisoft maps only seem to promote little more than mindlessly vacuuming up icons. :o

Having just come off a short stint with Breath of the Wild, I can say for certain that it's exactly not the sort of dull open world setting I'm looking for right now.
End of an Era

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:39 pm

Subway Diet wrote:
Quietman wrote:Oh no things to do! :cry:
It's a checklist of inconsequential shite that removes all sense of discovery from a game!

It really isn't.

They could (a) have the game just have the core mission suite and when you are done it is game over. This would be an approach which allows for more exposition, but for me open world games are about making your own stories.

Or they can (b) litter the map with thousands of little tactical vignettes. Consider that you only get one character, and once something is done it is done and gone from your map never to be replayed (unless you are a player in another person's game who has yet to complete it). Having hundreds of opportunities to try (granted a small number of different) mission types but in oodles of different settings appeals to me mightily.

Yesterday I did a story mission - it went tits up. Nonetheless I completed the initial objective but by that point I had a 2-chevron UNIDAD patrol (think the GTA police but with heavy weapons and body armour, with tactical vehicle support) actively looking for me. I manned a heavy MG post and mowed down the initial patrol, but then had a LOT more arrive so I scarpered. I still had the secondary mission objective to complete, so slithered around the camp (set in a very cool swamp with a rolling mist bank that helped keep me out of sight of the roving helo). I snuck about and it felt straight out of the more tense moments of MGS5, slipping away from the MG tower and getting out of sight in some vacated barrack tents. From there I watched UNIDAD comb the area of the base I had last been seen in, before mounting up and moving out. They continued to circle the camp, so I had a really tense few minutes of slipping from cover to cover till I achieved my second objective.

This evening I had an hour of co-op with my mate. He needed a skill point for an upgrade, so we snuck into a heavily fortified town where an enemy commendation (skill point) was held. We went in completely surgically, only killing where it was safe to do so, stole the commendation from under their noses, and slipped out with nobody any the wiser.

Point being, both great fun activities, but only one mission completed - the skill point was your inconsequential shite, but damn I enjoyed it.

I know it isn't for everyone, but in a rare game type that really does it for me (tactical but accessibly and occasionally batshit hilarious co-op shooter) anything that provides additional longevity is good by me.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:32 am

Grim memories of getting 100% in Watch_Dogs combined with the feeling that this isn't a Ghost Recon game that I can enjoy builds up one hell of a feeling of resentment. 8-[
Really glad you're enjoying it. Just ignore my bitter ass.
End of an Era

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:02 am

I've played over 40 hours of it in solo mode so far. Here's some rambling thoughts...

Yes the hoovering up of icons on the map approach remains intact but the big difference here compared to any other Ubisoft game to date is just how these points come together as a whole and the seat of your pants stories you get to tell your friends concerning how you tackled every single one. I find it ironic how Zelda goes open world and everyone pats it on the back for being a total game changer but when Ghost Recon does the exact same thing it's pawned off as unoriginal and completely uninteresting. The first mistake people are making is comparing it to the likes of Far Cry 3 and 4 as I feel it is much more in line with the likes of say Just Cause, ARMA and even the long dead but brilliant Mercenaries series of games. Think all three combined and add in squad mates that tell surprisingly funny jokes and personal stories during those lengthy hikes up mountains and scoping out enemy hideouts from a distance.

I've put roughly about twenty+ hours into this now and I'm not ashamed to admit all of it completely SOLO and you know what I think it's actually really great. My very first Ghost Recon gaming experience was likewise a simple me, myself and my AI squad mates that I get to directly command affair and although coop is more than enticing I find that the game delivers just as deservingly in solo mode. I often feel like I'm back playing MGSV although this time for every move I can make myself during my plan of attack I get to make three other versions of myself do something as an additional measure to aid said plan. Or simply to patch me up when during that same plan of attack I get shot down when it all starts going seriously wrong due to serious misjudgement on my part. We are one though when it all comes together nicely. Brothers in arms taking on Sicario's on farms.

One thing I will put to bed right away is that I can easily see this keeping my attention long after The Division lost my will to play and in fact in my humble opinion this game craps all over The Division from a rather great height. Having attempted to return to The Division only recently I don't even recognise the game any longer which is a shame as I did really enjoy it at one point. Ghost Recon Wildlands however has managed to make going out into a vast open world of things to see and do a far more interesting team morale prospect rather than just your standard icon clean up team I feel. Some side quests can be dealt with by 100% force if the need takes you but on the flip side you could just as easily sneak your way into an enemy stronghold and take that weapon upgrade or skill point from within without them even knowing the scent of your BO in the hot ass sun. So how do you want it? Serious Sam or Sam Fisher? The option is yours.

Playing on the second from hardest difficulty with either a minimal hud or no hud at all makes the game precisely what it was intended to be.

People moaning that it's not a Ghost Recon game. I've been playing GR games for as long as I can remember and this plays just how I always dreamed a fully open world GR game would. Yes I played the beta in coop but as of right now I'm fully content just ordering my men to take down targets via the nifty drone order approach. They keep quiet and out of sight when I need them to and kill shit stone cold dead when I ask them to. What more could I ask for? The AI is more than serviceable if you ask me. Besides the very first time I did actually try out a coop session looking forward to some tense but fun coop based team action one of my team members ending up just being sat in full ghillie suit attire in a field on a tractor for well over thirty minutes not moving a single inch and another of my team mates just suddenly left after lagging his way across most of the map shooting at the sky. Neither of these things would ever occur in solo mode I should add. What I do they do. Where I go they go. It's a beautiful thing.

Technically the game is outstanding I must say. Simply outstanding. To hear some talk about the game looking unimpressive and dated just blows my mind.

As I mentioned before the game to me feels like a cross between Just Cause 2 or even 3, MGSV and a modern day Mercenaries hell even my character is a spitting image of good old Mattias Nilsson, mohawk shades beard tats and all. The driving though, oh lordy the driving. While bikes are fun and kind of agile anything on four wheels is an utter ball ache to control and it's one thing I hope they improve but I'm not crossing my toes for it. Thankfully the way you can make your men open fire while driving them right into enemy domains with one of them on a turret more than makes up for how frustrating just getting there was. The funny thing is when I used to play a lot of The Crew I always asked why on earth don't they take this game engine and size and scope and make use of it in a proper third person action game? It's such a waste as it is zooming past everything constantly. Lo and behold a few years later Ubisoft Paris has delivered exactly that. Praise be.

One thing I will straight up 100% defend Ubisoft Paris for is that there has been no visible downgrade on this game whatsoever, none. It looks and plays just like the very first reveal footage we saw. I know pretty shocking right? A Ubisoft game that hasn't instantly disappointed with a blatantly obvious downgrade and also one that isn't technically broken in a dozen different ways. The pausing issue has been about the only issue I've experienced thus far. Perhaps then valuable lessons have been learned at the company and if so it's a damn shame so many are so willing to write it off so easily without actually taking in the simple fact the game has had a decent spill of very positive reviews coupled with some positive word of mouth on top. Aside from EG and PC GAMER most other sites have responded extremely well to the game. Fully deserved I feel too.

I should add that Ubisoft let me down very badly recently with Watch_Dogs 2 as the hardware it needed to run well was to be frank a complete bloody joke. Wildlands on the other hand puts that games San Francisco map completely to shame by comparison and not only does it run infinitely better but it actually makes my machine feel like it's actually a bit beasty once again rather than a limp dick can't run a new Ubisoft game for shit waste of time no matter how much tweaking I do ie AC: Unity and AC: Syndicate. I do believe I've already played more of this than I have Watch_Dogs 2.

Ok so no it doesn't rewrite the book on open world gaming but if you get yourself in the correct mindset in solo mode or get in a coop match with friends it can and is fully equipped to deliver a very memorable and highly taxing gameplay experience that pulls no punches. Playing it last night I found myself having flashbacks to tense sessions on Future Soldier making my way slowly from building to building and cover to cover with a silenced MP5, highlighting enemy targets for myself and my men, collecting enemy info and unlocking new points of interest on the map as I go. It plays and feels exactly the same with the only difference being once you've taken a town or enemy stronghold you simply move on to the next one via any means necessary in a huge open world rather than moving from level to level in a completely linear controlled manner.

Ironically I ended up watching the film Sicario yesterday due to playing this and taking an interest in precisely the subject matter it is based upon and I have to say I could see countless shots in that movie that could have been taken directly from the game. Everything from the style of the fences to the large sprawling words etched into the side of a huge mountain to the very colour and brick work style that makes up the smallest building in an enemy occupied town. I had no true idea just how close to the real deal the Wildlands world actually was till I watched the movie and it's a true testament to just how much effort Ubisoft Paris put into making it more than just another open world game. There's a genuine feeling of a gritty and simply horrible reality behind it all. Going out into the open world to clear out the enemy Sicaro population and taking down all the despicable El Jefe's that control them one by one running down an otherwise serene country lane with beautiful open vistas only to suddenly run past a man hung from a lamp post it instantly hits home just why you are there and just why you are needed.

If only people would give it the chance it so deserves I guarantee it is one of the best Ubisoft games of recent times and not only that it's very much also a game that in my eyes shows that Ghost Recon can and does work just as well in an open world setting if only you the player enter it with the exact same mind set you played every previous GR game. Something I myself previously thought was not possible. Although it may take a little bit more time to recognise the still beating heart that is GR is there somewhere over that huge mountain peak where gun shots can be heard ringing out way, way off in the distance.

Uploaded me taking on a mission at a large damn on Extreme difficulty (the only way to play) in solo mode last night. Here it is...

And honestly thank fuck they fixed that auto-save stutter bug, it was killing an otherwise superb gaming experience.
Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:25 am

It always sounds a bit disrespectful to say, but I think I'll wait until the price drops on this.
For all the dire acting and dubious tone, it's plain to see there are some things the game has going for it. Just not the sort of game I'm up for at the moment, I guess.

Haha. If there are any PW Ghosts hanging about during the end of year sales, perhaps I'll see you then? ;)
End of an Era

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:47 pm

wow Dave - I think you convinced me to buy this.
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Wargame: European Escalation / Valiant Hearts (XBO)

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action