So GR:W then – initial impressions from the few hours I put in yesterday.
Things are better than they were in the beta, that is certain.
- Graphically it has clearly been optimised, and my rig is now comfortably running (albeit flat-out) the game at higher settings than in both betas
- The handling of cars has been improved. Don’t get me wrong, it is still no GTAV, but at least vehicles no longer pivot around a centre point rather than turn
- Enemy AI is pleasingly aggressive, and if you ‘poke the hornets nest’ (a phrase constantly uttered by your AI grunts that will soon have you grinding your teeth) things can escalate very quickly.
- Time of day has an effect now – if you sneak around at night, you might find enemy grunts have gone to bed.
- Graphically it is just lush. I mean, really really nice. Yesterday I was playing co-op with a mate and we were flying to a new mission in a stolen helo. In the distance was a mist bank rolling gently down a mountain. As our waypoint was beyond the mist bank, I flew through it. The sun was setting over the mountain and the light filtering through the fog was just sublime.
- Your squad AI is as thick as they ever were. They are adequate for the job in hand but nothing at all memorable.
- The voice-acting is really irritating when they keep repeating the same lines over and over. Poked the hornets nest there. One bit of nonsense upon jumping into a helicopter was one of the marmite monkeys piping up with “I hope you don’t roll this thing” – well so do I, as it would mean breaking the laws of physics!
- OK you have bought the game, it is release day. You have pre-loaded. You fire it up, and on the very front menu screen is a big panel leading you to loads of (admittedly cosmetic)DLC that can be purchased with some twatty currency that you can buy for your account.
- Worst of the bunch – they have added PvP. There is a 4x4 PvP option. Gleh. When I bought The Division, I got the season pass as I was looking forward to more and more districts of NY becoming available to enjoy. The Dark Zone was an optional element, and one that didn’t really appeal, but everything Ubi said was that it was only there for those who wanted it. What actually happened was that every element of the season pass was focused on PvP. I am concerned that once again they are focusing on adding tits to a bull and that the PvP element will become the focus of the planned expansions.
All told, I am pleased with what they have done though, and am looking forward to much co-op stealth fun.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.