Ghost Recon: Wildlands (2016)

Shoot the shit.
Subway Diet

Re: Ghost Recon: Wildlands (2016)

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:10 am

Rather sad that I can't get Ghost Recon to work on my PC. :(

Sorry. That's hardly related to anything. Just disappointed that I won't be getting as tactical as I hoped.
End of an Era

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:22 am

Unfortunate for sure. What seems to be the problem?

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:44 am

Click the icon to launch the game, and aside from the mouse cursor doing the little loading spin, nothing happens.
Been running down compatibility modes, turning off intro movies, toggling windowed mode and using a DX8 to DX9 replacement thing. Still no joy.

I'm using my original disks. I wonder if the Steam or GOG versions have been touched up in any way?
End of an Era

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:32 pm

I'm no expert but is this a problem for others round the interweb bazaars?

Eny

Postby Eny » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:18 pm

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:40 am

Eny wrote:SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Well, that'll do it. #-o

I've seen other people supposedly getting it working on recent versions Windows. Tried tried everything they've suggested and didn't get very far. I must just have one of those unlucky hardware combinations.
End of an Era

Eny

Postby Eny » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:24 am

Its a shame, because Original GR and Mafia 1 are my 2 favourite games. I suppose Ubishaft don't want younger gamers knowing what joy the franchise used to give....
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:58 am

Oh. This is out today?
Eh...

End of an Era

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:10 am

I guess its not that secret then.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:14 am

So GR:W then – initial impressions from the few hours I put in yesterday.

Things are better than they were in the beta, that is certain.
- Graphically it has clearly been optimised, and my rig is now comfortably running (albeit flat-out) the game at higher settings than in both betas
- The handling of cars has been improved. Don’t get me wrong, it is still no GTAV, but at least vehicles no longer pivot around a centre point rather than turn
- Enemy AI is pleasingly aggressive, and if you ‘poke the hornets nest’ (a phrase constantly uttered by your AI grunts that will soon have you grinding your teeth) things can escalate very quickly.
- Time of day has an effect now – if you sneak around at night, you might find enemy grunts have gone to bed.
- Graphically it is just lush. I mean, really really nice. Yesterday I was playing co-op with a mate and we were flying to a new mission in a stolen helo. In the distance was a mist bank rolling gently down a mountain. As our waypoint was beyond the mist bank, I flew through it. The sun was setting over the mountain and the light filtering through the fog was just sublime.

Irritants?
- Your squad AI is as thick as they ever were. They are adequate for the job in hand but nothing at all memorable.
- The voice-acting is really irritating when they keep repeating the same lines over and over. Poked the hornets nest there. One bit of nonsense upon jumping into a helicopter was one of the marmite monkeys piping up with “I hope you don’t roll this thing” – well so do I, as it would mean breaking the laws of physics!
- OK you have bought the game, it is release day. You have pre-loaded. You fire it up, and on the very front menu screen is a big panel leading you to loads of (admittedly cosmetic)DLC that can be purchased with some twatty currency that you can buy for your account.
- Worst of the bunch – they have added PvP. There is a 4x4 PvP option. Gleh. When I bought The Division, I got the season pass as I was looking forward to more and more districts of NY becoming available to enjoy. The Dark Zone was an optional element, and one that didn’t really appeal, but everything Ubi said was that it was only there for those who wanted it. What actually happened was that every element of the season pass was focused on PvP. I am concerned that once again they are focusing on adding tits to a bull and that the PvP element will become the focus of the planned expansions.

All told, I am pleased with what they have done though, and am looking forward to much co-op stealth fun.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:48 am

Snowy wrote:“I hope you don’t roll this thing” – well so do I, as it would mean breaking the laws of physics!

Pfft, helicopters can roll.

They can also roll on takeoff. This is marginally less safe than the above.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:24 am

"And baby makes three..."
Other impressions don't seem to be painting it in a positive light. That's is a serviceable shooter in a pretty, yet bland open world that has to rely on pestering you to play in co-op to be anything worthwhile.

That said, it seems to be clocking in at about 81% on OpenCritic, which is pretty high. But then, I'm using the full range like a damn fool.

I'm still shocked at how cold I turned on this game. I think The Division and Watch_Dogs 2 must have beat any enthusiasm I have for Open World Ubisoft games out of me.
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:50 am

I've heard that they're being quite selective with who they're sending review codes out to in order to minimise negative responses. Certain prevalent Youtube reviewers who might not have been so kind and just lapped the game up haven't received code, whereas a ton of really small time sites who are all showering it with glowing praise are.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:14 pm

The higher than expected score is probably due to most of the big sites not having posted a score yet, most places are just doing review-in-progress stuff.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:33 pm

Subway Diet wrote:"And baby makes three..."
Other impressions don't seem to be painting it in a positive light. That's is a serviceable shooter in a pretty, yet bland open world that has to rely on pestering you to play in co-op to be anything worthwhile.

That said, it seems to be clocking in at about 81% on OpenCritic, which is pretty high. But then, I'm using the full range like a damn fool.

I'm still shocked at how cold I turned on this game. I think The Division and Watch_Dogs 2 must have beat any enthusiasm I have for Open World Ubisoft games out of me.

And baby makes three... yes how did I forget that little gem!

I can see how it would fail to float boats, but my big gaming love is tactical co-op and is not a genre combo that is overflowing with options!

Absolutely this could and should be more than it is, but even as it is it provides me with enough to keep myself amused for some considerable time to come, and that's enough for me.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action