Star Wars - Dark Forces

Shoot the shit.
cHeal

Star Wars - Dark Forces

Postby cHeal » Mon May 18, 2015 12:23 pm

So I recently picked up a load of star wars games on steam (and again on gog.com :P ). Jedi Knight was the first PC game I ever bought and I loved it and always had an itch to try out Dark Forces but the time passed and I moved on. Now however I have got the chance to play it and it's a surprising thing, I really rather like it. Except for the controls being archaic, it actually plays really well. It's like listening to great rock music, you just know it's great even if it doesn't reflect society anymore, it's timeless. But something else struck me even more. It oozes Star Wars. Even with terribly lo-fi sound, the music still illicits the same feeling of giddy excitement that Star Wars once did and it got me thinking, have the prequels done more damage than previously documented. Are they more than just awful movies, have they fundamentally harmed the Star Wars universe.

I'm also currently playing The Force Unleashed and all the lightsaber goodness in the world can't save it from feeling horribly generic. Even being based during the OT time period, it just feels so un-star wars. It like previously, all EU content was based on the Original movies and so were intrisically tied to it in theme and atmosphere but the prequels have broken that link, themselves feeding off the original trilogy like a parasite and then producing their own second rate EU content. Like a copy of a copy, like chinese whispers slowly the truth is lost, obscured or outright ignored and exaggeration upon exaggeration slowly erodes the original truth. Even playing 10 minutes of Jedi Knight (for the sake of nostalgia) left we with that special feeling, but interestingly I remember Jedi Outcast lacking in some of that special sauce (Did it come out after EP1, or perhaps it itself just moved too far from the source material?) even though it was probably, technically the most accomplised and still felt like a Star Wars game, it didn't feel magical. Jedi Academy was pretty much generic sci-fi fantasy plus lightsaber. Nothing of the original magic was left, just a terribly lost game designed for competitive MP only, but bundled with rubbish SP.

My question then is will we ever have another great Star Wars game? Is it that the audience is too jaded to enjoy the franchise anymore or that the creators, poisoned by the prequels, can never again make a great Star Wars game?

PS: As good as Kotor was, it never felt like a Star Wars game, just a great sci-fi RPG (don't know about Kotor 2) which is why they decided to dump the expensive license and make Mass Effect!

DjchunKfunK

Re: Star Wars - Dark Forces

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon May 18, 2015 1:06 pm

It's entirely possible what with Disney saying they are willing to license out Star Wars to developers, but I'm not sure we would get anything other than a pretty standard game. The cost of the license would put most people off meaning that it would be left to the big publishers to take it on and if they did they would want to maximise their return, which would lead to them making something safe. It probably wouldn't be bad, but something more along the lines of Force Unleashed than say Jedi Knight and personally I could do without another average Star Wars game.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon May 18, 2015 8:11 pm

Yea I pretty much think that is all you will get from the cost of the license DjchunKfunK unless Disney sought more value in getting some good dev's to make a variety of games and not just FPS/3rd Person shooters. But would there be money in making say a RTS/ Space sim again? I'd love that myself.

Also you should try out the Republic Commandos cHeal if just for the banter between the squad and some memorable fights. It could have been a lot more if they took the concept much further I reckon. Would love to see a sequel to it all the same :)
Formerly MrAnnoyed

cHeal

Postby cHeal » Tue May 19, 2015 1:54 pm

Played 10 minutes of Commando to have a look and it didn't feel very Star Wars like at all, though I'm sure it's an enjoyable sci fi shooter.

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu May 21, 2015 3:00 am

Aye it's an enjoyable shooter and with it being the new episode sorta era I guess it's not very star warsie. At least there's no flipping Jar jar in it though :wink:
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Return to FPS & Action