Vampyr- New game from Dontnod

Shoot the shit.
Jez

Re: Vampyr- New game from Dontnod

Postby Jez » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:02 pm

Haven't read reviews yet. Take it that it's basically been rushed out and probably needs a few more months of polish or whatever?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:20 pm

Jez wrote:Haven't read reviews yet. Take it that it's basically been rushed out and probably needs a few more months of polish or whatever?

I don't think it's polish so much Jez, reading the RPS piece it sounds like there's a big disconnect between your actions and the consequences, giving the impression the latter is a bit random and so what goes before is a little bit meaningless. The reviewer compared it to Dishonored and said it's like if you have a completely silent, non-lethal level and are told and the end of it your actions have resulted in increased threat and chaos.

I don't think it would put me off playing what sounds like an interesting game at least, but it does affect how much I'd pay for a bit of a quirky, potentially marmite, experience.

Also, while RPS loved the combat, saying it's their favourite part of the game, PCG disliked it, marking it down as a result... so that aspect seems a bit marmite as well and hard to know going in which side of the fence you'll fall on.
My face is tired.

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:50 pm

Seems so Jez and be better then as it won't have that ludicrous price tag on it as well #-o
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:32 pm

Ok so I purposely deleted my earlier post after wanting to gather together some actual hands on time with the game which I now have so here goes. £25 from HRK (£45 via Steam is a bloody joke, how the fuck does a AA game cost more than a AAA game? FUCK OFF) and this is what Prey got from it thus far...

For a AA game Vampyr can and does at times look like a modern game that far surpasses its own budgeting restraints and while many will instantly compare it to Bloodborne graphically (shiny cobbles everywhere!) everything else sadly doesn't quite meet the lofty heights of just how fantastic the game can look especially when it comes to the games lighting system which is just superb. Unreal engine has been expertly used here in terms of your surroundings but it simply does not pass over to the character models which at times can look distinctly last gen, the lip syncing on show is utterly terrible also. Before I go any further I will say that this game has had me thinking of so many other games outside of Bloodborne being the obvious one with those being Murdered: Soul Suspect and The Evil Within 2 as the two other games you will be reminded of while playing albeit only partially due to one particular aspect or another. I cannot knock the games atmosphere one bit as just walking down a random street or some off shoot foggy back alley will make you fully appreciate how the game looks pretty much immediately. Smoke lingers in the air and the gentle pour of rain coupled with the lighting system truly is something else. For a AA title on a day one release the game holds up superbly performance wise although I have and others have experienced slight judders in frame rate from time to time mostly when say crossing a bridge from one area of town to another. There is a new Vampyr game ready Nvidia driver you can install if you so wish. There's not a massive slew of graphical options to toy with but what there is is more than sufficient to get the game running nicely.

I hate to say it but I have to agree with the side that states that the combat system and not just the combat system but nigh on the entire control system is at times a bit of a fucking mess. As much as I have tried to tweak the controls the game just feels so janky and at times almost unresponsive to my inputs where just hitting the X button to swipe can be met with a full second delay, the keyboard and mouse controls going off feedback on Steam are meant to be even worse which I somehow can't even begin to believe. The games camera system often feels as though it is trying to get away from you and will make this very odd swinging motion as you turn that's hard to describe and while it's not that bad in more open areas in more closed ones say a flight of stairs it will no doubt knock many people sick. It doesn't help that the game features no FOV slider whatsoever I mean it probably hasn't helped that I've played so much AC Origins but my god they need to fix both the controls and the camera and even add in an FOV slider asap, like fucking yesterday. Just running in the game is the closest I've come to that Gears of War running sensation but not in a good or cool way, hell no. It's almost nauseating so I've taken to not running at all for the time being. At times my character gets so far ahead of himself that if I were to strike a wooden barrel to break it apart my character would have run into it and broken it before my arm even swang out causing the physics to kick in almost magically before hand. I've lowered the sensitivity as much as I could and this still occurs. It's clunky, it's unresponsive and it just spoils a lot of the otherwise cool aspects of the game such as the actual very cool Vampyric based powers which work precisely how you would expect them to.

Let us say for instance you end up in a scrap in an interior area the camera pans out to contain all the action more akin to a 90 fov and bits of the scenery disappear above a certain height so you can keep tabs on what's going on. The camera still struggles to really keep tabs on the action again this is inside not outside as outside encounters feel much more established and well orchestrated which makes it all the more of a shame that you never feel all that rewarded once a fight is over and you came out the winner. I do however like the way your Vamp vision can show both friendlies and enemies from a distance letting you know enemy weaknesses or backgrounds to characters who may offer services to you so you never have the excuse that you didn't know before hand that a certain enemy would more than likely kick your ass.

Obviously this impacts the games combat system massively which I am not happy to admit requires some serious attention. Imagine if you could playing The Witcher but every strike you attempt feels like while it connects it connects without any true merit behind it ie you kinda feel like you're just slicing mid air even though there is actually a body reacting to your hits. Due to this you will spend more and more time simply button bashing/using avoidance tactics without any real intelligence behind it. There's no stealth in the game (so far) which means walking up behind enemies and stunning them that's if they even react at all or if you don't get set upon by other enemies in the process. What this serves to do is to only make enemy encounters a thing of pure frustration for instance my first boss battle eventually came down to me simply stood at the top of a flight of stairs and just bashing away at the hit button then waiting for my stamina to return. Both the camera and weak combat system made me feel like I literally had no choice as I wasn't advancing at all attempting it in a proper legit fashion. There's literally nothing worse than actively knowing you are cheating your way through a game but feel you were left with no real choice but to do so.

I have already come across a possible game breaking bug which was in the form of a very simple collecting of an item that I had to then take to a crafting bench to progress only for it to suddenly completely disappear from my inventory leaving me with no way to progress at all. I couldn't tell if I'd accidentally used it or not (I don't recall using anything as the distance between the collection point and crafting point is minimal) all I did know is it was gone and it was the primary ingredient needed to craft what I needed and it sure as hell wasn't about to respawn on the table nearby no matter how much I waited around. I luckily managed to bypass this by quitting the game completely and then reloading from the checkpoint at which point the item magically reappeared intact in my inventory once more and I was able to craft the necessary item to continue.

There is a very deep narrative driven story behind this game and some of the conversations I have had could put the likes of Deus Ex to shame but then the game prides itself on you actually getting to know the people you come across so as that you may properly discern if they are simply a walking blood bag or someone who could be of vital use later on. It's just a crying shame that the poor camera and the combat system just feel so very undercooked and not even just a tad or a little but hugely so.

All these gripes aside there is a lot here I know many will not only appreciate but nigh on adore as in the few hours I've played Vampyr truly will make you walk the fine line between whether you be man or monster and whatever path you choose will have direct and at times long standing ramifications within the very world around you. Rather than run around aimlessly simply killing for killings sake you will weigh up the pro's and cons of what if I... with every single new encounter and heed my words if you do make the choice believe me that action can and will stay with you afterward if you are not careful.

Perhaps with another month (or three) or two of dev time this really could have been the Vamp game we had all yearned for since Bloodlines but as it stands right now it has only managed to partially quench that thirst and even then there are so many seemingly incomplete aspects that you will be forced to turn a blind eye to initially. A decent slew of patches though and Vampyr could be about as close as you will ever get to that dream as cool atmosphere and an intriguing storyline will only get you so far.

edit: I forgot to add that the item collecting in the game needs a lot of work as some objects will shine brighter than the moon (cupboards or drawers) while others (shillings, notes etc) you won't even know you can interact with them unless you accidentally brush upon against them and the interact button prompt shows up. Not even going into your vision mode makes them show. I feel like I've missed so many items due to this being so poorly implemented and now end up just pressing the A button at bloody everything just in case.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:40 am

Honestly, I started watching a LP by one of my favourite youtubers last night, having just binged his playthrough of Detroit over the course of a week, it was so compelling, and I had to switch off after less than 20 minutes. Maybe it feels better playing it than watching it, but it just looked really bad to me, from the horrible running and dodging animations, to really disliking the voice actor for the main character, to laughable looking combat... he gave me the impression he was enjoying it, but I couldn't stomach any more.

I might take a chance on it after a massive price drop in the future, in the hope it is better to play than watch, but shall certainly be steering clear for the time being.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:17 am

I really like what Dotnod tries to go for with their games and no matter what the outcome they are usually worth playing. The obviously don't quite have the budget to match their ambition and in this case it looks like it is the combat that has suffered.

If it wasn't for the fact that I still have POE 2 and Ni No Kuni 2 to finish I would probably have picked this up as I want to support the studio.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:15 pm

Alright so with precisely 4 hours under my belt I can genuinely say that the game isn't all bad, far from it. It has a very likeable side to it but again this pretty much completely revolves around your interaction with NPC's in the world which an older article from GR summed up better than I can...

Whereas most of us have indulged in the odd quicksave massacre, Vampyr doesn’t give you that kind of scot-free gratification. Even if we forget the fact that you can heal each citizen with loving care before ripping out their carotid artery, picking one at random without reading their stats will still have a domino effect. Each NPC is tangled up in a delicate web of associations with other characters. Go into the menu to see who you’ve met so far, and you’ll be able to see the extent of their social circle: the other NPCs who would notice if they were to ‘disappear’ and would act out in their own ways. Because I only kill one drunkard (who frankly had it coming, judging by the way he murders someone in front of me), there’s no chance for me to see the consequences, though I’d assume some NPCs would become reluctant to speak to you thanks to the whole pesky mourning thing mortals tend to go through. Either way you’d see the impact your midnight snack had on the rest of the district. Which doesn’t exactly help with the whole guilt thing.

It’s not solely after they’re dead that you’ll start to feel your conscience stir. Spending more time talking to each NPC unlocks dialogue options for the other people in their social circle. As you find out more about their life, they’ll often mention another character, giving you an additional conversation topic to explore with them. I quickly found myself shuttling between two NPCs as they revealed more and more about their friendship. Unknown to me, at the same time the XP attached to each NPC grew. And grew. And grew. It was almost perverse, really. The more emotionally-invested I become in each NPC, the more tempting it is to sink my fangs into them for an easy XP boost to buy one of the vampiric combat abilities I desperately yearn for.

My abominably low mesmerising ability (the skill that lets me lure citizens somewhere hidden and subdue them) is the only thing standing in the way of me killing what is clearly a main character who’s just ferried me to the hospital. 6000 juicy XP points course through his veins. I’m seriously considering ushering him into the shadows, but then the sun rises and I have to take cover in the hospital I’ve started to work at.

https://www.gamesradar.com/vampyr-has-d ... nt-people/

As it states it's not only the attachment to certain characters that guides your way but also the attachment that certain NPC's have with one another and the deeper you dig the more those involvements become ever more tangible dare I even say heartbreaking in some cases and thus the temptation to take that XP does so too. The crux of the game however obviously means that taking said XP and using it to become a more significant hunter brings with it it's own set of consequences that can quickly spiral out of control and as such you end up trying to somehow balance out the two as your actions make the game more difficult while you also become more powerful. It's been a hell of a long time since I felt anything in the way of empathy for in game NPC's but depending on who I talk to hearing their stories (and often very dark deeds that lead them to where they now are) has opened my eyes considerably as to why many are praising the game in spite of the bugs and flaky combat. I've heard the game was built by a team of just 16 people and when you take into consideration that Bloodlines had no less than 32 when it started out and still managed to release in a very shoddy fashion as beloved as it is I'm now learning not to be so hasty on my initial opinion of Vampyr.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:32 am

Nice to hear that there is enjoyment to be had.

I almost caved yesterday but CD Keys had bumped the price, so I left it. Also I have Jurassic World Evolution pre-ordered and available in 4 days, so buying a game just now would be wasteful.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:13 pm

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:25 pm

Jim Sterling?

Hmmm, I may watch it, but every time I hear his voice whatever he is saying becomes lost by the burning need to punch him in his whiny face.

Will see how far I get before the rage consumes me...

EDIT: Actually that wasn't too bad. To just have him calmly discussing a game was such a difference to his usual grindingly awful rants.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:35 am

I actually really like the sound of this after watching that video and the ACG review. Initially I wrote this off as just another janky game that wouldn't really be worth my time. It'll be a while before I get it though, I still have plenty to work through.

Previous

Return to FPS & Action