Star Wars Battlefront 2

Shoot the shit.
Jez

Re: Star Wars Battlefront 2

Postby Jez » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:59 am

Think that statement is taking it to an extreme.

I know things can't stay the same forever - the gaming industry is not immune either. The big companies will continue to look for ways to increase the revenue.

Let's face it games haven't had a major explosion in price over the years. Yes there are exceptions, I paid 60 quid for BF1 for instance but I've put over 500 hours into it...amazing value that I don't begrudge. What has changed over the years is this...accessing the major titles for bargain prices sometimes weeks after release. People get amazing games for fractions of the recommend price if they wait. That's fair enough I suppose it's a market economy but it must hurt the companies someway down the line right? Not to feel sorry for them but I can understand why they need to find ways to increase revenue.

The price of gaming is something that's going to come to a head sooner rather than later I feel and this micro transactions issue is only the tip of it.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:23 am

The price of games - as in the base price, ignoring any microtransactions - has massively changed in the last 10 years. Back then you could be confident that most new games at release would be about £30 for PC, £40 for consoles, and after a year most would be half price or less. That was true for AAA games and backwater no-names alike. These days there's a big disparity depending on who your publisher is, whether your game is part of a cash-cow series like COD or Assassin's Creed, or whether you're an indy dev just trying to get your game seen. AAA games are now routinely £40, £50 or even £60 at release, and smaller new games are releasing often at sub-£20.

The problem is that the games which implement dubious additional funding systems like loot boxes are almost always the ones that have the big base costs. You pay £50 to get the game, then you're expected to pay £20 down the line for a season pass and optionally an indefinite amount on microtransactions. Compare that to smaller games which you pay a one-off £20 to play and are never hassled for money again, and it's easy to see where the gaming value is these days.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:45 am

I see plenty of games and top end games at that for 30 odd quid mate. Yes there are exceptions like the CoD gang but largely speaking the prices haven't changed. The grey market thing ala game key sites bring that price down even more often up to 20% or more before release.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:53 am

We have had this argument about game prices before. I think the only place that has seen a big increase in price is the PC. Console games have pretty much remained the same, you still only pay around £40-£45 unless you go digital or buy one of the special editions and as Jez says if you wait a few weeks you can find new releases for around £30-£35.

Even if we accept that prices have gone up a fair bit, they still haven't tracked in line with either inflation or the cost of making video games so it is understandable that publishers are looking for more ways to monetise their products, hence every AAA game moving towards Games as Service models.

Regarding that quote about people getting rage fatigue, I don't think it is that, it is more that the people on the internet getting annoyed at it are a tiny minority of the people buying the game. The majority are not that bothered and are quite happy to throw a few pounds at some loot boxes to either make the game easier or get some cool looking stuff. This is why the trend continues and it was the same for stuff like Horse Armour. We often forget that those of us expressing our displeasure on the internet make up such a tiny minority of the audience.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:07 am

I still often think back with wistful nostalgia to the days of £17.99 new releases at play.com
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:12 am

I distinctly remember being asked by my dad how I was going to afford the new £40 games after I'd asked for an original XBox for christmas (so 2002); prior to that a new release would cost £30. Now big releases are £50, although there does seem to be far more variation in price. That's a 60% increase at the top end, which is barely larger than inflation over the same period (I used this tool).

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:15 am

The added benefit of waiting a few months after release is also the bug fixes, but I guess that's a different debate. (Mass Effect Andromeda a prime example right now)

The only downside to waiting for price-drops is you can't chat about it with others while you're playing, since everyone else has finished it by the time you start. :(

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:25 am

Here's what it comes down to for me. I really wouldn't mind paying more for games. I do think by and large they provide excellent entertainment and value for money. If I like a game or developer I'll often pay full price for it on day one I feel like I'm supporting the studio and I can afford it. But I'll caveat that by saying I'm much more picky about what I'll pay full price in general. That decision to buy is happily supported by frequenting places like this and having trust in some specific reviewer media on you tube etc.

I can only point to recent games like Witcher 3, BF1, elite dangerous, even the much malaigned Andromeda - I have put hundreds of hours into them individually. Especially the first 3. Incredible value for money. I spend a lot more on things in life where the money to entertainment ratio is much fuckin lower :lol:

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:37 am

I personally don't want to be paying more for games than I already do, largely because the majority of games don't really hold my interest any more. I think indie gaming and similarly low-budget productions are grabbing me just as much as the big titles these days anyway. I bet Sonic Mania, a contender for my GotY vote, cost orders of magnitude less than anything else I've played this year.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:39 am

Another thing to remember about price, we are not the only country buying games. In the US the average price of a NES game in 1990 was $50 which is equivalent to $94 now, an N64 game at $70 in 1998 would be $105 now and a Playstation game in 2005 at $50 would cost $63.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:54 am

Yeah, there are an awful lot of caveats when looking at game pricing. For one thing, N64 games were substantially more expensive than Playstation games because of the cartridge format, and I suspect NES games were expensive at least partially because of the significantly smaller market.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:58 am

Prices may not have quite kept up with inflation but they are certainly on the rise. Digital stores now use £54.99 as a starting point for all AAA games and digital has started to take over in terms of the percentage of sales made.

The simple fact is that regardless of how much games are going up, none of us are likely to have become that much wealthier over the last decade in our existing jobs. Year on year I'm currently left with less money thanks to pay caps, my wage is hardly keeping up with inflation either. If they raise release prices even further then it will simply mean even less games are bought.

The argument that they need exploitative microtransactions to guarantee their revenues is moot. They make excessive amounts of money from these practices.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:09 am

Yep, I'm charging the same daily rate I was in 2005, and the couple of times I've made noises about raising it a bit it's been strongly hinted they'll just find someone else who charges less. Meanwhile the cost of food and living has risen year on year and in real terms I'm probably poorer off than I was then. I don't pay the full launch price for games any more because to be blunt about it I just can't afford to nor justify it when we're cutting everything else back as close to the bone as we can.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:21 am

The argument that they need exploitative microtransactions to guarantee their revenues is moot. They make excessive amounts of money from these practices.

I don't think anyone is arguing that they need to use exploitative microtransactions to guarantee their revenue. We are just talking about how prices have remained quite constant, costs have gone up and so publishers are looking at other ways to monetise their products.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:27 am

I'm seemingly in the exact same boat as Sly. No wage rise in 13 years and with life essentials getting more and more expensive Im probably as poor just now as I have ever been in my whole life.

I cannot for the life of me remember the last time I paid anything close to rrp for a game.

All this loot box caper and pay to win bullshit is basically irrelevant to me as I can't afford the bloody base game in the first place never mind the tacked on bollocks. I know it doesn't make the problem go away for everyone else, but that's where it's at for me.

Anyway I don't see much kissing going on in here. Come on everyone, where's the love?! :D

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action