Star Wars Battlefront 2

Shoot the shit.
Prey
Admin

Re: Star Wars Battlefront 2

Postby Prey » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:07 pm

That's funny because I distinctly recall you saying it was exactly the same as the first when I said precisely that after playing the beta. :P

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:38 pm

I know. -_-

In my head the original wasn't quite that bad. God it is awful though. Doesn't make up for the various shortcomings with the gameplay in the sequel but to say it isn't better having now had a fresh perspective of both would be wrong. The first one doesn't even have a class system!

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:01 pm

Disney dropped en masse all the developers making SW games after they bought the IP. EA losing the contract might be slim but not unlikely. The House of Mouse is a vicious bastard when it comes to its property.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:37 pm

This whole thing has blown up to some pretty significant main media outlets.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/com ... 254b32caf4

It was on CNN and in the Wall Street Journal too.

It would be nice if the knock on effect made them reconsider adding paid random loot in all their other games but I doubt it. This'll all blow over in a few weeks and they'll discreetly add them back into BF2 with some very minor tweaks. FIFA earns them nearly a billion a year on the Ultimate Team random packs that people buy, they would never backtrack that substantially on them because it'd tank their share value. That is of course unless governments actually start with legislation that these systems are infact a form of gambling, but that's a long shot under the circumstances.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:42 am

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:00 am

Formerly MrAnnoyed

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:22 pm

I've not read it yet, but RPS reviews the multiplayer aspect:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/1 ... /#comments
My face is tired.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:16 pm

I don't think this is going to blow over, the Belgian Gaming Commission is going to try and get lootboxes banned in the EU
http://www.pcgamer.com/belgium-says-loo ... in-europe/
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:31 pm

Put this in the microtransactions thread now that the discussion has moved onto this practice of random lootboxes in general:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=31619&start=15
My face is tired.

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:44 am

Hawaii is also looking to ban and stop the spread of this in games before it becomes the norm.

Take 2 figures show how much the greed is. Don't let publishers bullshit you that they don't make enough profits without these methods.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:04 pm

It's hopefully squeaky bum time in the EA offices as they face a bigger shitstorm and possibly losing the SW license :D

I'm curious to see now what sort of political pull games companies might have. No doubt some pockets will be lined and certain state senators in the US will reject any restrictions to the industry.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:37 pm

Imagine if it actually came to that; Disney were so annoyed at the possible damage to the brand that they pulled the plug on EA's contract. It could potentially happen if this gambling storm kicks up into a bigger deal and Battlefront is right at the front as exhibit A.

The thing is, this game would have sold 14 million copies and could have been supported through more modest microtransactions fairly easily and EA would still have made enormous bank out of it. It could have been one of the biggest Star Wars games ever made and EA could have built up a lot of goodwill from gamers if they'd not been so greedy. But nope, it's so typical of EA to take one of the biggest franchises ever and push it so far trying to milk people that the whole thing fires back in their faces. What an enormous own goal. I really hate this constant quest for more and more and more money, it is literally ruining everything in the world. Fuck EA. I hope they lose the rights to the franchise and their share value falls through the fucking floor. The EU banning gamble boxes would tank their primary income from a good few of their existing franchises.

And the annoying thing is that I'd still quite like to buy and enjoy this game, because with a better balanced progression system that wasn't so intent on locking most of the content behind hundreds of hours of grinding I think it would have provided a good 40+ hours of multiplayer time while I mastered all the various cards and perks.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:14 pm

EA losing the Star Wars licence would be a treat indeed, not to mention the public condemnation they deserve. Who picks up the reigns, though?

It would never happen, but... CDPR with a Star Wars licence in their hands. A man can dream. :P
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:32 pm

Drooooooool

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:40 pm

I fear the day some other studio offers CDPR so much money that they can't refuse to sell and that'll be the end of them. It'll happen one day.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action