Star Wars Battlefront III Holiday 2015

Shoot the shit.
Jez

Re: Star Wars Battlefront III Holiday 2015

Postby Jez » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:17 pm

Anyone playing this beta here? Even heard any reports?

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:40 pm

Downloading it now, was watching some people play it on Twitch and it looks arcadey but fun!
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:11 pm

Also downloading just to see how it feels.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:24 pm

Reports please :) seriously thinking of getting myself now.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:08 pm

I quite enjoyed the two rounds I've played so far. Granted, I barely touched the first game (also a beta, I never bought it), but what I've seen feels like an improvement. I think it helped that the map included was more than just a barren wasteland as the first game's beta had. The points-based special / hero unit purchasing is a vast improvement to the stupid on-map power ups the first had. The amount of health players have feels about right; no real instant kills, but getting the drop on someone is still a huge advantage. You still have an option of running for cover if you're close to some, but players don't feel like bullet sponges.

I really do love that they got the actors from the Clone Wars / Rebels series to do the voices for the battle droids and clone troopers - the two animated series are a little less serious than the films, and that extends to the atmosphere of the game. I'm sure some will complain about having everyone sound like a cartoon character, but it absolutely works for me.

I did technically play a third match, but it was the Starfighter mode, and for some reason the game doesn't have an option to unbind any attached controllers. I have a set of rudder pedals permanently plugged in (my PC is under the desk and they're a pain to remove), and as they have toe brakes that apply a constant axis input, all I could do in the game was spin around in circles. There's a menu for keybindings, but I could only see options for the mouse and keyboard.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:49 am

My son and I had a number of rounds together on it last night and the first thing I will say is this...Battlefront is now Battlefront WITH A SOUL once more, hallefuckinglujah. If ever there was a game that not only recognised the vast amount of flaws the original outing had and rectified them in a sequel this has to be it if the beta is anything to go off. No longer is it simply a Star Wars game that is 100% style over substance there's actually now a very enjoyable game thrown in with it now too and I've genuinely witnessed more team play in the few beta matches I've played than I experienced in any of the original full release I spent time with. Just goes to show that DICE listened to the criticisms and what we now have is something that not only resonates being in a Star Wars inspired battle but now also has solid gameplay to back it up. All the various weapons feel great to use and I personally really took to the heavy class and yes I still much prefer third person play over first person which still feels a little bit off to me in this. Battlefront is all about the the TPS gaming.

The Theed map instantly reminds you of the Battlefront of old as your team converge together in smaller squads and work their way toward the initial objective with snipers engaging from a distance while others set up turrets and heavies push through. At one point I took cover in a small side alley only to find Darth Maul hidden in the wings baiting enemies into the area and as they ran in he and I cut them to utter ribbons right before he death danced his way off into the distance. Everything lacking in the original is now present and correct here. The sense of your team pushing together as one to take each individual objective point and every inch of the map turning into small yet equally as epic mini battles as your team tries to push further up a corridor, room or through a door way. The original game was a mindless confusing and vastly frustrating spam fest with no true team play to be observed or recognised on the horribly designed sprawling maps which made me feel completely insignificant to what was going on around me. This however is now a concentrated well orchestrated and exciting as it is fun engagement in a single well designed map that flows as you push push and push some more and you 100% feel as though you contributed every step of the way. Yes there are still moments when it can feel a little spammy but IMO watch any mass battle in the actual Star Wars saga and tell me it isn't a complete spam fest.

The new purchase system now makes sense and gives you goals to obtain as you play. Want to kick ass as Darth Maul? Here's how much you need so you better work for it bitch. No longer do we have to run through silly looking immersion breaking floating fucking icons.

One of my favourite things is the chatter that comes from when you play as one of the battle droids, I was laughing so much at my classes responses to the ongoing action and hearing other nearby droids commenting on what was happening around them I could barely concentrate at times. Not only is it authentic but it adds a truly fun and at times comedic element to the otherwise chaotic and pressured proceedings. I did also try out the space battles and to say they are an improvement over the terrible air combat in the first is an understatement. It's epic and fun and every bit what a Star Wars space battle should be and the sound effects that emit as you fly around in a TIE Fighter will make you cream your pants.

DICE have finally recognised what it is we all wanted from Battlefront and a single map has given me the hope that if I purchase it I won't end up bitterly disappointed as I was with the first. The force is strong in this one.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:08 am

FFS.......

He likes it :( ain't buying this shite...

Totally getting bought.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:17 am

As much as I enjoyed it I sure as hell won't be paying the £54.99 asking price for the STANDARD EDITION on Origin.

I forgot to mention any word on performance while I was at it. The game ran flawlessly for me with everything auto set to high and the dynamic resolution was doing its bit as I played. I never saw a single frame drop which just made the experience all the more enjoyable. Although a nice touch detail wise I do think the constant swirling of leaves is a little distracting at times obscuring your view however so I hope you can turn that shit off somehow. As if there's not enough going on as it is!

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:50 am

My conclusion; meh. It's not really any different to Battlefront 1, Battlefield 4 or Battlefield 3. Same principles, only somehow after all this time they seem to have gotten worse at map design. The Theed map is just horrific, square city blocks with no landmarks or interesting points to look at followed by twisting corridors. The capture the flag map was slightly better, but still disappointing that after all these years we're still playing the same old modes. The squad mechanics are more forced on you this time, though in practice it does nothing to alter the core gameplay or enhance team work. The core experience, I would say, is very dull.

The heroes also really don't work well in an online multiplayer game. It's fun churning through hordes of AI in the original games but it doesn't really feel like a fun experience when you're one of those grunts constantly being torn to shreds by Rey's lightsaber. Spawn times aren't instantaneous enough, so you'll wait five to ten seconds, spawn in, get cut down almost immediately because you just can't do anything about her in the tiny corridor, then wait another ten seconds to rinse and repeat. It's actually awful and tedious as hell.

Pros:
It looks very pretty, which is nice for a little while.
The space combat is easily the most entertaining aspect, though also the most underplayed since I was getting placed in matches with bots quite frequently. I feel like they should have fleshed out this mode even more and just made it the entire focus of the game rather than trying to to ride on the coattails of Battlefield's success.

The original game was a mindless confusing and vastly frustrating spam fest with no true team play to be observed or recognised on the horribly designed sprawling maps which made me feel completely insignificant to what was going on around me.

I'm really not sure how you're finding this any different. It's almost exactly the same experience, except now the special power ups are purchased on a points based system rather than being littered around the map as icons. Otherwise it plays exactly the same as Battlefront did.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:05 am

Christ, it's £55? I'd have trouble justifying it to myself at half that price.

Edit: it's £35 on cd keys, still far too much for my liking.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:25 pm

If it is ok I'd justify 35 but not console prices 55.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:25 pm

So, they've added some 'light' chromatic aberration (I think that's it) . It was so bad I thought my nvidia driver update had broken something. After a quick google it seems that the effect is exacerbated way too much on ultrawide. It literally makes the text unreadable. I checked on my son's 1080p display and it was just a cute feature. On mine the text gets torn in two every half second (I exaggerate slightly). It even affects the game play, making it look like an 80's VHS pirate video (again slightly exaggerated for effect)

Luckily lots have mentioned it on the official forums and they say they're looking into it.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:20 pm

Played it a bit more before uninstalling and my feelings haven't really changed. It's definitely better than EA's first attempt due to a variety of little improvements to mechanics and features. But overall it's still a very stale experience and not wholly different at all. Once again the primary draw for this game is simply the fact that it's trading on the Star Wars name, if it were any other setting then nobody would care one little bit about it because as a shooter it is simply inferior. And considering that there are currently an incredible multitude of better shooters out there, I don't really see why you'd want to waste time reliving the battle of Hoth and Naboo again.

Battlefront 2 (the original) has just had it's servers go live again in celebration of this coming out. I would honestly recommend that over this. Just reinstalled it myself to play some classic Galactic Conquest mode.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:51 am

I don't have a horse in this race as I didn't get the first and won't be getting the second, but Angry Joe is not happy about the progression and loot boxes systems:

I've seen that TB has put out a similar vid, but not watched that one.
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:57 am

Meh. I've enjoyed my time with it which is all that truly matters. I won't however pick it up until it at least hits the £25 range myself as new Assassin's and Mordor both take up priority.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action