Star Wars Battlefront 2

Shoot the shit.
User avatar
Subway Diet
 
Posts: 12842
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:29 am
Location: Crush. Kill. Destroy. Swag.

Re: Star Wars Battlefront 2

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:07 pm

This game sounds like it's taking the piss. I'm not going to play a game if it requires me to pay double up front. I'm not going to play a game if it asks for unreasonable grinding to get the the core bloody reason you'd want buy a Star Wars title.
Did they walk back the whole "Have to play for about 40 hours to unlock Darth Vader" thing? That said, they still have mobile phone games "energy limits" in place.
Image

Edit: And I'm with Mantis on this one. Microtransactions... eh, I can live with it. But paying for RNG shit in a full priced game? On your bike!
Last edited by Subway Diet on Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
End of an Era

User avatar
Sly Boots
MILF
 
Posts: 12720
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: Star Wars Battlefront 2

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:07 pm

Mantis wrote:
eVoL wrote:As I've said before, cosmetic micros that mean free maps are fucking awesome. So for once I'm with DJ :lol:


Cosmetic micros where you are given a price up front and you pay money knowing exactly what you're buying? Yeah, I'm totally on board with that.

Hell, a F2P shooter where every gun is a quid and you just buy what guns you want to use is an alright model to me.

But unregulated random chance drops that encourage slot machine mentality? Fuck that right off forever please. Valve started all this with purchasing keys for crates on CS, TF2 and DotA2; Blizzard really kicked it into overdrive last year when they added paid loot crates to Overwatch. Now everyone is getting a piece. I used to work within the gambling industry and I know the full extent to how low these devious fucks will go to try and drain every last penny from you under the illusion that you're having fun when really all they're trying to do is get you hooked. EA are rightly facing the biggest backlash against things so far because few publishers have so brazenly linked ingame advantages to paid random crates in a premium title.


Not sure if you've played the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer or to what extent, but it worked in much the same way there. Pay for Bioware points, use them to buy crates, drops from said crates being random and the only way to unlock new characters and guns, each of which made a huge difference to gameplay and playing experience.

And when did that come out? 2014?

Hard not to see that as a live trial leading to the eventual release of a game designed almost entirely around that mechanic.
My face is tired.

User avatar
Sly Boots
MILF
 
Posts: 12720
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: Star Wars Battlefront 2

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:21 pm

Surprised at RPS, who have reported the drop in requirements to unlock iconic characters, but no mention of the drop in earnings to mitigate it:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/1 ... ore-493287

If you didn't already know more about what's happened, if you'd just read this article you'd see it as them responding to the player outcry and maybe even give them a bit of credit for doing so.

I'm angry all over again now.
My face is tired.

User avatar
eVoL
 
Posts: 31991
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Jettisoned through that hairy wormhole.

Re: Star Wars Battlefront 2

Postby eVoL » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:22 pm

Mantis wrote:
eVoL wrote:As I've said before, cosmetic micros that mean free maps are fucking awesome. So for once I'm with DJ :lol:


Cosmetic micros where you are given a price up front and you pay money knowing exactly what you're buying? Yeah, I'm totally on board with that.

Hell, a F2P shooter where every gun is a quid and you just buy what guns you want to use is an alright model to me.

But unregulated random chance drops that encourage slot machine mentality? Fuck that right off forever please. Valve started all this with purchasing keys for crates on CS, TF2 and DotA2; Blizzard really kicked it into overdrive last year when they added paid loot crates to Overwatch. Now everyone is getting a piece. I used to work within the gambling industry and I know the full extent to how low these devious fucks will go to try and drain every last penny from you under the illusion that you're having fun when really all they're trying to do is get you hooked. EA are rightly facing the biggest backlash against things so far because few publishers have so brazenly linked ingame advantages to paid random crates in a premium title.

I'm fine with the slot machine, just so long as it's not gameplay effecting.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

User avatar
Sly Boots
MILF
 
Posts: 12720
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: Star Wars Battlefront 2

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:30 pm

I have no idea whether or not it is, but I'm choosing to view this as a stunned silence.
My face is tired.

User avatar
Lee
 
Posts: 13133
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:36 pm

Re: Star Wars Battlefront 2

Postby Lee » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:44 pm

Aye Sly, in the past I would have thought "Oh they came to there senses" but I've figured out long before this that it's all calculated beforehand and enables them to keep on pushing things farther and farther into charging you to play the damn game per second. Hyperbole it maybe but you know what I mean.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

User avatar
Mantis
Admin
 
Posts: 26812
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:53 pm
Location: Nobody's Here

Re: Star Wars Battlefront 2

Postby Mantis » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:46 pm

eVoL wrote:I'm fine with the slot machine, just so long as it's not gameplay effecting.


I still play Overwatch fairly regularly, though I've never paid real money for any of the loot boxes. I was generally fine with them before this year kicked in and suddenly we're being bombarded with these systems.

But it's simply the case that these randomised cosmetics were just the first step publishers are taking towards seeing how many actual game elements they can also lock behind the slot machine paywall. As has always been the case with these companies, you give an inch and they take a yard. Them being purely cosmetic makes them easier to ignore than if they actually affected the gameplay, but I don't think it changes the fact that ultimately they're still wrong.

User avatar
Sly Boots
MILF
 
Posts: 12720
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: Star Wars Battlefront 2

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:00 pm

Can't help but feel like Battlefront 2 is this year's horse armour. Cosmetic DLCs/pre-order bonuses/in-game microtransactions are now normalised. Just as that did then, this has sparked derision and outrage, yet give it another 10 years and making people pay extra to properly experience a game they've already paid for will be the new normal.

I genuinely think unless consumers make a concerted stand we'll all see a shooter in our lifetime* that charges for bullets, or something of that nature.



* Especially Mantis, who seems to age at half the rate of other human beings -_-
My face is tired.

User avatar
Raid
Duke of Preys-World
 
Posts: 24917
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:48 pm
Location: Ding!

Re: Star Wars Battlefront 2

Postby Raid » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:04 pm

I think this whole episode has changed my mind on loot boxes. I've spent maybe £15-20 (in two purchases) on them in Overwatch when I was feeling a bit flush, and I'm happy to say now that I'm not going to be doing that again. Both times I looked back on my decision once they had all been opened and regretted it. I think I'm on Team Mantis; random chance loot boxes are cancerous, regardless of their content. They started small, reasonable, but they've grown exponentially in the last few years to the point where they need cutting out before they kill the industry.

A lot of flack is being directed at Overwatch, but I think the disease first truly started to congeal in Hearthstone. Yes, it was a F2P game, but I doubt it needed funding from card packs because Blizzard had already amassed a colossal fortune from World of Warcraft from which it draws a lot of its appeal. People accepted it because it's just how CCGs have always been, but this absolutely normalised the tactic for fans of Blizzard games. When Overwatch turned up with loot boxes, all of the systems for purchasing them were in place, meaning you don't even need to leave the game to charge large sums to whichever payment method you'd registered in your Blizzard account.

It's all just so horrendously cynical. Back when the Battlefront beta dropped, I thought that the reaction from the community was entirely planned on EA's part, and that they'd make changes that made it feel much more reasonable by comparison as another attempt at normalising this type of behaviour. But they got cocky, didn't roll back far enough and it is, to some extent, blowing up in their faces. Battlefront 2 wasn't high on my priorities list anyway - I was originally put off by the game's high initial price, but all of the microtransaction bullshit has turned it from a "maybe if it's on sale" to "never buy another EA game until they repent their fucking sins."

User avatar
Jez
 
Posts: 11431
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:35 am
Location: worcestershire

Re: Star Wars Battlefront 2

Postby Jez » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:07 pm

Sly Boots wrote:Surprised at RPS, who have reported the drop in requirements to unlock iconic characters, but no mention of the drop in earnings to mitigate it:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/1 ... ore-493287

If you didn't already know more about what's happened, if you'd just read this article you'd see it as them responding to the player outcry and maybe even give them a bit of credit for doing so.

I'm angry all over again now.


Notice that rps have put in an update on that message with the cut in gained creds.

User avatar
Sly Boots
MILF
 
Posts: 12720
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: Star Wars Battlefront 2

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:12 pm

Jez wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:Surprised at RPS, who have reported the drop in requirements to unlock iconic characters, but no mention of the drop in earnings to mitigate it:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/1 ... ore-493287

If you didn't already know more about what's happened, if you'd just read this article you'd see it as them responding to the player outcry and maybe even give them a bit of credit for doing so.

I'm angry all over again now.


Notice that rps have put in an update on that message with the cut in gained creds.


That's something at least, though I expect that's mostly because the author was getting it in the neck in the comments.
My face is tired.

User avatar
Snowy
Metal as Fuck
 
Posts: 9980
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:41 pm
Location: Ballhang

Re: Star Wars Battlefront 2

Postby Snowy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:13 pm

Thing is, the amount of difference this will make to operating practices?

None. Fuck all. Not a jot.

The reason? Well I can give you three from a cursory search online:

EA shares today, while the company was receiving the worst downvote ever on Reddit and a gamer outcry, went up in value. As they have consistently over the last few years.

Electronic Arts Gushes Cash! yells the headline. $1.8bn in operating cash flow in the past year, to be precise.

Another articleread:

Software sales in the video-game industry have historically been front-loaded, with a title's first month in release being by far its most important sales period. While having a strong debut is still very important to a title's success, rapid growth for in-game purchases over the past five years has made keeping players engaged past the initial sale crucial to overall performance.


As many passionate fans of gaming as a pastime have commented, this is just cynical rinsing of consumers for as much as can be grabbed. And for as long as it works and the tattered, gnawed and bloody teat of EA keeps on milking, the shareholders will not have it any other way. It will get worse, be of no doubt.

The whole thing makes me sick as a pike, but there is nothing that greedy cunts will not ruin if they can make more lucre out of it. Fuck me, in the world of Brexit and Donald Fucking Trump, we really shouldn't be surprised.
Image
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

User avatar
Mantis
Admin
 
Posts: 26812
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:53 pm
Location: Nobody's Here

Re: Star Wars Battlefront 2

Postby Mantis » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:18 pm

They've been doing it for a few years already in all their sports titles. It's only going to get worse unless there is a significant backlash, though we're talking far greater than what we've seen with Battlefront 2. I've seen figures floating around of 70,000+ cancelled pre-orders, but that's just a drop in the ocean compared with the numbers this game will sell and it'll make more than enough back from the loot boxes to cover the losses. That's ultimately why they don't care that much about it being a PR disaster on Reddit, because they will rinse people anyway.

Essentially we get what we deserve because most players are idiots who will happily cough up for these things despite the fact that it's shafting them up the backside in the long run.

Sly Boots wrote:Especially Mantis, who seems to age at half the rate of other human beings -_-


I can show you how to do that too, but it comes at a price.

User avatar
Raid
Duke of Preys-World
 
Posts: 24917
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:48 pm
Location: Ding!

Re: Star Wars Battlefront 2

Postby Raid » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:22 pm


In fairness, I doubt Reddit has much of an effect on the stock market. We won't see any real effect until EA release their quarterly profits.
Last edited by Raid on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jez
 
Posts: 11431
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:35 am
Location: worcestershire

Re: Star Wars Battlefront 2

Postby Jez » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:22 pm

Mantis wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:Especially Mantis, who seems to age at half the rate of other human beings -_-


I can show you how to do that too, but it comes at a price.


Funnily enough. When I clicked on that link the opening ad was for....

Battlefront 2 :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests