Star Wars Battlefront 2

Shoot the shit.
Tank

Re: Star Wars Battlefront 2

Postby Tank » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:01 pm

I agree with you. It can be used effectively and is in the titles you named.

Just not here...anyway you look at it.
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:10 pm

I'm not really convinced that paid loot boxes belong in games at all. The random chance element that encourages people to keep throwing money at it until they get the things they want is just too gouging for me to accept, even when it's limited to cosmetics. The idea that people would pay potentially hundreds of pounds for loot boxes in Overwatch only to get the same duplicate sprays and voicelines again and again is just horrific. There's too fine a line between a few harmless box purchases and kids getting addicted to using their parents credit cards. Hell, even adults get addicted to it; it's just a slot machine afterall.

Microtransactions linked solely to cosmetics and various other non-gameplay affecting elements where you can just pick something you like and buy it for a couple of quid are always going to be the best way to handle them. I fully support that in games, particularly when it means gameplay content like maps and new classes can be released for free to the entire playerbase to prevent them being split up.

If developers put effort into making small optional extras that people would actually want to buy then they would generate revenue to keep producing content. As it stands, EA just goes for the lazy option of locking parts of the game away and then slowing progression down enough that players are pushed towards random loot crates to get an advantage.

Ed: Just watched the Sterling video. Basically agree with everything he says about loot boxes.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:11 am

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:54 am

Great video about it and how there manipulating everyone.

Formerly MrAnnoyed

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:50 am

Apparently they're being a little inundated with refund requests on Origin, so they've removed the option to do so and now if you want to cancel your pre-order you have to ring their premium helpline to do it. :lol:

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:28 am

:lol:

Man, I used to think EA were pretty awesome last gen!
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Tank

Postby Tank » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:30 am

Also they have have lowered the required credit amounts for the hero character unlocks.

(I think they are down to 10,000 now).

But...they have also changed the amount of credits you are rewarded from finishing the campaign from 20,000 credits to 5,000 credits.

As bad at this usually gets I normally expect this sort of thing to blowover but in this case I think its going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:31 am

Shame they made such a balls of this. Ultimately, this method benefits the community by keeping all the future updates and DLC content available to all, it stops that irritating spilting of the playerbase. So it's likely now they'll fall back on paid DLC and the "season" model to make the coin over the initial base game spend.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:33 am

This is such a tyre fire. They have now made changes to the progression with the cost of heroes being reduced by 75% at the same time the amount of credits you get for finishing the campaign has been reduced to 5,000. On top of that there is this little gem.

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Reiner/statu ... 3505557504

I said it yesterday and the more that comes out about this game the more I think it's a valid statement. EA are asking you to pay for a free to play game.

It's a mishandled tool, but I'll still take cosmetic micros and loot boxes any day over a return to the player sharding paid map packs. Overwatch, Dota, Siege etc.. do it right and I hope those aren't swept away in the backlash because of utter wankery use of them in things like Battlefront.

This is pretty much how I feel. I think Dota 2 gets it almost 100% correct, you can't get duplicates until you have got all the standard cosmetics in a treasure so the only ones that remain difficult to get are the rares of which there are normally only 1 or 2 in a treasure. Or you could just wait until someone sells them on the market place. :)
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:35 am

So it's likely now they'll fall back on paid DLC and the "season" model to make the coin over the initial base game spend.

I doubt it. Despite the backlash I bet they still make more money via these loot boxes than they would via standard DLCs.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:41 am

Shocked would be the wrong word as it's hardly surprising... I guess it would be better to say what disgusted me most in the video Lee posted above would be the cynical PR strategy that ended up playing out exactly as the industry insider said it would. In the past when this sort of thing has happened I've probably praised publishers for listening to consumers and making changes as a result, but to hear that all of that is part of a planned PR strategy and the complaints anticipated and allowed for is appalling.

Think I'm fully with Mantis now. Fuck this shit. Fuck anyone saying 'just don't pay for the microtransactions then' or 'they're only cosmetic, it doesn't matter'. Like it or not, and sorry if this sounds harsh, but you're part of the problem. It's pretty clear by now everything has been another brick in the road leading to triple-A publishers normalising this model in consumers' minds and making sure they gouge as many people as possible for as much as possible.

And think about the younger generations of gamers coming up behind us, for whom this has been and will likely always be an integral part of their chosen hobby. They don't know any better, and their sense of outrage is going to be less than us old farts who remember simpler times. In another 10 years it could be standard practice to pay a monthly fee for SP games, or another £5.99 on top of the £60 you paid up front to unlock each weapon above the basic in a shooter, or party members in RPGs or anything they can think of.

Microtransactions of any kind even if they ostensibly don't affect me = no sale, I'm afraid. Unless these shitheads get hit in the one thing they really care about, their wallets, then it's only going to get worse.
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:51 am

Glad someone has finally has seen the light after all my moaning. -_-

The simple fact is that anyone who defends these practices is merely defending some fat cat suit/shareholder who doesn't give two shits about making good games and only sees everything in terms of how much more money they can make out of their users. It's exploitative, greedy profiteering and these 'whales' who pump $10,000 per game into random loot drops will one day be viewed as victims or addicts. There's no regulations to defend them from these 'not technically gambling' predatory systems that these publishers have all cottoned on to.

Didn't EA try and charge people for fuel top-ups in a Need For Speed game not long ago? That's akin to charging for guns or bullets in a shooter, they're already pushing the system as far as they dare to see how many things they can make people pay for.

Battlefront 2 literally has F2P elements in the arcade mode. You can't just sit and grind solo challenges to make 100 credits per round, because it's limited to 5 maps/challenges per day.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:53 am

Well put, Sly. The thing that really pisses me off is that there's a (supposedly) semi-decent single player campaign that's going to get lost because of the crap surrounding the multiplayer side of it. Incidentally, every article I've read so far reporting the reduction of hero costs by 75% has failed to mention the campaign payout also being reduced, which just shows how cynical EA are in hiding that. Obviously everyone's going to find out, but EA don't care because they get the initial headlines saying they've compromised when they haven't in the slightest. It also means any gaming site that decides to put the new info up either has to edit an existing article, in which case it won't be seen by many, or they have to create a new article, which is more free publicity for EA.

Fuck this side of gaming. I look forward to watching the campaign story on youtube and not giving EA a single penny, before I go and play some games that I paid a reasonable price for years ago and which haven't tried to extract any more money from me since.
Last edited by Wrathbone on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:56 am

Like it or not, and sorry if this sounds harsh, but you're part of the problem.

I'm sorry, but that's just rubbish. I agree that there has been a lot of misuse of loot boxes this year, but this is the classic taring everything with the same brush. You are within your rights to disagree that loot boxes serve any purpose, but to claim anyone who buys them is somehow responsible for EA being dicks is way off base.

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:58 am

The sad thing is there's enough mugs out there who will still buy this (and pay for bizarro-randomised loot boxes) to make it a huge money spinner, regardless of the bad press for EA.

Although you wonder at what point it becomes worth the profit. They're being utterly trashed from all angles over this.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action