Star Wars Battlefront 2

Shoot the shit.
Medicine Man

Re: Star Wars Battlefront III Holiday 2015

Postby Medicine Man » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:16 pm

Paul wrote:Re: 'the cost of producing a game', let's not forget that gaming is huge compared to what it used to be. Their return will be astronomical compared to ~ 15/20 years ago. The industry is worth billions these days; this is no longer the 90s, and gaming is no longer a niche activity for basement dwellers.

Obvious cat is obvious and all that, but all this talk about developers not making much money... come on.

I don't believe the developers do make that much money. The publishers on the other hand...

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:21 pm

Agree. Publishers and finance houses make the money the developers make a wage largely.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:29 pm

From what I have seen it is generally pressure from publishers that results in these nefarious features being added to games. When developers are asked about it in interview you can see straight through their uncomfortable answers when what they're really avoiding admitting is "the publisher made us do it". People that make games generally do it because they love their jobs and are gamers themselves, they're usually the last people who want to add microtransactions to their titles.

Publishers that only care about their stockholders are not good for the health of an entertainment industry.

Paul

Postby Paul » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:41 pm

Medicine Man wrote:
Paul wrote:Re: 'the cost of producing a game', let's not forget that gaming is huge compared to what it used to be. Their return will be astronomical compared to ~ 15/20 years ago. The industry is worth billions these days; this is no longer the 90s, and gaming is no longer a niche activity for basement dwellers.

Obvious cat is obvious and all that, but all this talk about developers not making much money... come on.

I don't believe the developers do make that much money. The publishers on the other hand...

Yeah, sorry - my bad.

CD Project Red (or is that 'Projekt'?) seem to be doing well for themselves though. More of that pls.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:41 pm

You can't make blanket statements about triple A studios being massive black holes for money to pour into without some factual evidence Mantis. I'm sure there is some waste going on at these companies and to a degree that could probably be mitigated, but it doesn't change the fact that games still cost a lot of money to make and market.

Re: 'the cost of producing a game', let's not forget that gaming is huge compared to what it used to be. Their return will be astronomical compared to ~ 15/20 years ago. The industry is worth billions these days; this is no longer the 90s, and gaming is no longer a niche activity for basement dwellers

At the same time the cost of making games has increased massively from then and it no longer takes 6 months to a year to develop a game. Just because more people now play games doesn't automatically mean that everyone is making more money.

There are other, far more ethical ways of generating extra revenue for your game beyond the initial sale.

Such as? If you are talking about DLC that would cost more money. Part of the reason that publishers like loot boxes is because they are cheap to produce.

I don't buy the argument that because some people misuses something we should therefore get rid of it. Some people drink too much alcohol does that mean we should just ban alcohol? We could do with more transparency around the drop rates in loot boxes and raising awareness around how they can be addictive wouldn't hurt.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:48 pm

It's hard to provide any concrete figures due to how guarded that kind of information is, you can get access to total budgets for some titles but rarely anything in any real detail; regardless it's not hard to see how a lot of money gets wasted when so many large releases go through troubled development processes. Costs can range anywhere from $20m to $200m. Destiny was one of the most expensive to produce titles in recent history and is notorious for going through a variety of issues during development. Mass Effect Andromeda spent five years in development but saw most of the work done to complete it within the final 18 months, and was still quite a mess when it launched. Bioshock Infinite is another one that people probably aren't as aware of, Irrational had to bring the creative director for Bioshock 2 on board mid-way through development and they had to scrap the entire multiplayer side of the game which they had been working on.

Publishers throw an enormous amount of money at these studios who can often be based in multiple locations around the world. It's not unrealistic to expect that a number of them will be badly managed, and the easiest solution is to just throw more money at the problem. Then all of a sudden they need to sell four million units just to break even.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:04 pm

Also marketing costs an absolute FUCKTON of cash.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:31 pm

For every one one of those titles you list though Mantis there are multiple ones that we don't hear anything about regarding troubled development or wasted money. Like I said there are examples of waste for sure, but that doesn't mean that all triple A titles are poorly managed.

Paul

Postby Paul » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:36 am

Balls to it.

Let's all learn how2gamedesign and form our own studio.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:22 am

That's not our name is it?

That's how for now.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:10 am

Paul

Postby Paul » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:33 pm

eVoL wrote:That's not our name is it?

That's how for now.

As an aside, I recently had an epiphany of sorts regarding your username.

"Oh shit! It's 'Love', backwards. All this time!"

My brain never ceases to amaze / gravely disappoint me :lol:

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:52 pm

:lol:

It's a sonic youth album I've never listened to in 20 years ;)
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:22 pm

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:34 pm

Shouldn't there be outrage? I mean, it's pay to win mechanics attached to real money random chance loot boxes. It is literally the worst combination possible for a microtransaction system whereby even if you spend money you aren't guaranteed to get an advantage over other players, you just have to keep dropping cash until you have the top level gear.

God I wish EA would just go out of business.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action