Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain [360, PS3, PS4, XBone]

Shoot the shit.
Jez

Re: Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain [360, PS3, PS4, XBo

Postby Jez » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:52 pm

its not immediately obvious but many of the old man made structures she hides in have weak walls that she crouches around. You need night vision goggles to see them and then they stand out really well. shoot those when shes near them and she'll lose all of her stamina after 2 goes at it.

only problem is she often doesnt boost around to places you can do it so its a bit of a waiting game.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:04 pm

Knocking the walls down hurt her, it didn't drain her stamina. I didn't risk a second try.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:59 am

Achtung Englander wrote:absolutely

Wanted to know what gameplay was like with a real player as opposed to some sanitised trailer gameplay. Saw that Snowy was playing so watched a whole mission. Snowy finished it just before I had to head off to give my son a bath, so it was perfect timing.

Talking about perfect timing, Snowy was very good. Stealth all the way except when a sandstorm distributed stealth and Snowy changed to a more aggressive tactic. Superb ending with a great gun fight and tank battle. Cinematic to the last and thanks to Snowy for making it look so. Had good fun watching

I think the game looks great and although I love Mack from Is It Worth A Buy, he gave it a real drumming in his review, a review which I think is pretty harsh given what this game accomplishes. Snowy made it look exciting and fun. It reminds of Splinter Cell and Project IGI (from days past). Certainly one to play

The only Worth a Buy vid I watched was for Dying Light, and the guy panned what is a cracking game so much I decided that his site wasn't for me. If he has also panned MGS5, then the guy doesn't have a single gamer bone in his body. It is an absolute blast to play.

Last night was fun - I was deliberately playing up to my audience a little, making things more cinematic (e.g. hearing the enemy gunship come in and despite knowing I was prone and perfectly safe still zooming in with the binocs). It did cost me a little - I switched to NV goggles during a sandstorm then worried that Achtung was missing out on some of the nice visuals so turned them off. The guy I was stalking towards cared nothing for the nice visuals though and still had his NVGs on and trained on me, plus had his laser sight pointed at my noodle so that when the reflex mode kicked in I couldn't see him properly to tranq him. Cue first alert.

Anyhow, glad you enjoyed watching - I went a little fast and loose but largely managed to get away with it. It is a brilliant game - buy it. :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:03 am

Think that's the same guy who panned Witcher 3. Doubt I'll ever watch one of his vids again tbh.
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:25 am

Raid wrote:Knocking the walls down hurt her, it didn't drain her stamina. I didn't risk a second try.

Weird.worked for me. Got an achievement for it of some sort.

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:43 am

Some of Macks videos have been rather crap. He ranted about Witchers 3 combat being so crap that it does pretty much everything for you. Then he says combat in Mad Max was great and that's even easier and even tells you when to block, so yea his videos are all over the place in consistency.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:04 pm

I kind of agree. I think a lot of it is to do with expectations and rose tinted glasses when it comes to games of the past. For really big games he goes in expecting a lot and then gets really disappointed when it is not what he expects because he expects more of the sort of gameplay he loved back in the day.

The fact is computer games have evolved and they must appeal to the mainstream to recoup the vast amount of money that is ploughed into these games.

Games really should be about having fun and not expecting them to be something they are not. I agree with him that a lot of game mechanics do not work but you cannot have it all. I mean really good AI will not make for a fun game. For this game I saw Snowy get shot half a dozen times, if you really want human type AI and realistic gun play than 99 times out of 100 you will die pretty early on and I bet 99 people out of 100 will switch off and tell their friends not to bother
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:45 pm

I'm not so sure on the evolve part as it's mostly graphics still then everything else barring some developer teams or indies that do push what games can and should be trying. But that's just my own personal view.

You also just described MP there with the AI for some people :P
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:31 pm

MGS5 does respond well to you without either becoming impossibly difficult or invoking the 60 second AI attention span though. Cause enough disruption, even without being spotted, and the enemy will start to tighten security. Those stationary guards that you were snaffling with a good hard fultoning will start to patrol, actively looking for you, and often in groups which makes stealthy acquisition of personnel that much harder.

If you are spotted, the use of flares, mortar fire into the area you were seen, calling in reinforcements - it all combines to make life harder for the clumsy Mr Snake.

Personally I think they have got it bang on.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:10 pm

Completely agree; it's a lot more exciting than other stealth games I've played, where an alert simply requires you to hide until the it ends, at which point everyone returns to the same places.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:43 am

So I have got to the second 'half' of the game now, and am a little disappointed, although I need to qualify that.

I have had a massive amount of time in the game, currently clocked at 67 hours on Steam, and when I completed mission 30/31 would have been happy had the story come to a close. When I then got a 'Coming in Part 2' cutscene followed immediately by a screen saying 'Part 2' I was mighty happy. Rather than being more of the same though. you are presented with new missions that have handicaps applied to them and are often repeats of earlier ones.

Some have been interesting, for example a mission to cut communications in a small outpost, but you are dropped in with no equipment whatsoever bar some Fultons. I won't say any more but that was an interesting challenge.

The irritant has been that the enemy troops have suddenly become encased in every bit of armour going - riot suits, helmets, you name it, making my tactics from the previous half of the game largely redundant.

Also some of the handicap missions sound like they could be an exercise in frustration. 'Total Stealth' removes reflex time, chicken hat (not that I have ever used that) etc, and one alert ends the mission.

There are still some original missions in there amongst the rehashed ones so will reserve judgement.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:45 am

sounds harsh
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:16 am

I can see how that would be frustrating; a lot of my enjoyment of this has been the ability to tackle missions as I see fit. I had to switch from stealth to full-on Rambo after all of my suppressors broke during the Honey Bee mission (and I was in a cave at that point so couldn't ship in replacements); it was great fun.

Incidentally, has Kojima ever mentioned why he went with the 'TV Episode' presentation? I don't think it adds anything, and in some cases detracts from the overall feel of the game.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:55 am

With some of the later missions ending with a 'To Be Continued' makes a lot of sense - you get a chance to shower at Mother base, as well as re-arm for the mission ahead. The 'Part 1' and 'Part 2' also kinda works, as you have completed the primary storyline in part 1, while part 2 seems to be more a tidy-up of loose ends.

I just wish the missions remained open-ended. The killer for me will be whether the Extreme difficulty and Stealth Only missions are skippable in order to complete the extra 6 or so new ones that unlock after the end of Part 1.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:15 am

i take it that "part 2" comes at the 50% completed point? or am i assuming incorrectly?

is there any point doing part 2? does it advance the story or like you say just a tidy up of missions youve done before and such

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action