Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain [360, PS3, PS4, XBone]

Shoot the shit.
Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Re: Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain [360, PS3, PS4, XBo

Postby Snowy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:44 pm

It comes in at the storytelling climax of mission 31 Jez, the point at which you would normally expect the story to end. It then gives you a series of additional missions, some of which are completely new, some of which are 'Extreme' revisions of earlier missions, and some of which are 'Total Stealth' versions as well as one (so far) 'Subsistence' mission where you drop in with nothing and get your objectives from there. It also continues the story.

It is nice, in a way, to have the option to continue the game in a way that other, lesser titles would cover by use of DLC packs. At 66 hours I have already had a full game-worth, but still have additional content assuming I want to continue. I will do so, and report back on how I find the remaining missions.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:02 pm

Just had my first run in with Sahelanthropus. Jesus, this game really gets the sound design right.

So I noticed that Play Arts Kai are launching a range or MGS5 figures, and now I want them. Sadly they're between £60 and £70 each (even D-Dog), and I've spent £300 on model robots this month as it is.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:34 pm

So they've just announced that more microtransactions are coming for the multiplayer aspect, namely a FoB insurance policy where you pay real money and whenever another player steals stuff from your base he only gets copies of your resources and you don't actually lose any yourself. Seriously, paying real cash to avoid losing single player progress in a forced multiplayer component? That seems like an all new low to me.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... ctions-yet

Also, skin DLCs have just become available including 80p horse armour.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... armour-dlc

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:01 pm

Finally starting to commit proper time to the game now. Man, might have played 5 or 6 hours today alone.

At least I now get why people on NeoGAF kept saying "Such a lust for revenge".

Who indeed. :-k
End of an Era

Emaharg

Postby Emaharg » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:31 am

Snowy wrote:The irritant has been that the enemy troops have suddenly become encased in every bit of armour going - riot suits, helmets, you name it, making my tactics from the previous half of the game largely redundant.

Apparently the game adapts the enemies based on your tactics, for example, if you went in all guns blazing a lot, the enemy wore more armour, if you did a lot of headshots enemies were more likely to wear helmets, and if you did the majority of your missions at night, then they started to wear night vision goggles. So that may be why the enemy has become a bit harder for you perhaps.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:05 pm

What do they wear if you decide to occasionally go in armed with only a grenade launcher and an RPG? ¬_¬

Incidentally, doing that while sticking on the "Phantom Pain" cassette and running around like a one-man artillery battalion is my current stress relief. It's utterly satisfying not needing to sneak around carefully lining up faceshots with baton rounds (I dread to think how much my army pays for nose reconstruction surgery).

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:34 pm

Just hit Act II.
As Snowy said, for most games, that would have been the end of it. Big bad and his plans taken down. Roll credits. The End.

If the next "season" teaser is anything to go by, it looks like things get grimmer and weirder, as if that was possible. :o
My only concern is that the alternative missions are tied to the progress. That I'll have to do some ball-breaker extreme version of an older mission if I want to see the story through.
End of an Era

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:18 pm

I'm more or less done with the single player. The story just isn't grabbing me. It's the same thing I find with a lot of open world games the side missions are generally cookie cutter and I got sick of going back to places over and over again kidnapping pretty much the same guy over and over again. I do love the gameplay but the main story just doesn't light me up.

So I'm holding out for the multiplayer which looks really fun indeed early next year.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:26 pm

So, two amazing things I've discovered today:

1) You can drive tanks.
2) You can add custom music (at least on the PC version).

Cue rampages powered by Billy Joel.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:45 pm

Raid wrote:Cue rampages powered by Billy Joel.

Ah, take me back to my Uni days.

/nostalgia
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:46 pm

Emaharg wrote:
Snowy wrote:The irritant has been that the enemy troops have suddenly become encased in every bit of armour going - riot suits, helmets, you name it, making my tactics from the previous half of the game largely redundant.

Apparently the game adapts the enemies based on your tactics, for example, if you went in all guns blazing a lot, the enemy wore more armour, if you did a lot of headshots enemies were more likely to wear helmets, and if you did the majority of your missions at night, then they started to wear night vision goggles. So that may be why the enemy has become a bit harder for you perhaps.

No, I keep a rolling set of attacks on enemy reinforcements - body armour, helmets etc are constant targets of mine. Seems that on the harder levels the enemies are just encased in more armour than your average medieval knight by default.

I think my MGS bubble has burst - I tried some of the harder missions, but when I had to repeat the insanely hard 'capture Quiet' Extreme mission (one hit and you are dead, every time) endlessly I lost the will and have not been back. Whats more, with the real story having been played out, and my having zero interest in that load of old fanny, the prospect of more old fanny is not luring me back. Will come back to it for a replay at some stage.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:47 pm

The second half of this game is a patchwork piece of shit. It's pretty clear there's a whole swathe of missing content they just filled up with repeating missions. It's fine they are there but making them contingent of story progression is the worst. Also what's the point of side missions that are yellow, why not just put them in the main missions tab? Oh yeah because they're half assed and pad out the main missions more. No wonder Konami fell out with him, the games no where near done. The core game is great but fucking hell Kojima :lol:
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:06 am

Holy shit. :o
I can't quite get over how skeezy this game can be at times. Any time a female comes on camera, it's the most blatant, unashamed male gaze bullshit I've ever seen. There's nothing remotely sexy or sensual about what's happening. It's simply shouting TITS! ASS! TITS! ASS!

And heaven forbid you ride with Quiet in the chopper after you get full "buddy" rating with her. Stripper poses, anyone? #-o

Spoiler: show
And that puddle splashing scene? What!? :lol:

Any way. I continue to descend into Act 2. Yet to feel like it's unraveling. I mean, it's no more patchwork than the main game was. So long as it keeps feeding me missions and cutscenes, I'll be happy.

Even if it ends the series on the dampest squib possible, I'm committed to seeing this all the way through.
End of an Era

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:43 pm

And done. The mainline story stuff, at least.
I mean, I'd assume it's over as I've had two separate end credit rolls. And that's not including the one at the end of Act 1.

Trying to figure out where I stand on it. I'm not in the bitterly disappointed camp, that's for sure.
End of an Era

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:47 am

Mission 16: Traitor's Caravan.

Spoiler: show
For the life of me I can't get away from those damn Skulls as they destroy my vehicle or kill me and the checkpoint is a bag of shit when I fail.

63 hours played in all so far mostly spent trying to complete all objectives in main/side missions. How many missions are there exactly?

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action