Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain [360, PS3, PS4, XBone]

Shoot the shit.
sohei

Re: Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes [360, PS3, PS4, XBone]

Postby sohei » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:53 am

Subway Diet wrote:It'll be interesting to see what the people coming in new to the series think of it. :-k
The gameplay is the best it's ever been, but that story has been unravelling slowly since 1987. I'm hoping for full on esoteric madness. :lol:

I believe someone has edited all the cutscenes together to make a 26 hour epic, for people new to the world to get up to speed. Personally I'll draw my own conclusions and figure it out as I go along.
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.00Ghz , 32 Gb Kingston HyperX Fury, Asus Radeon R9 295X2 8GB, Samsung 500gb SSD, Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:45 am

sohei wrote:Personally I'll draw my own conclusions and figure it out as I go along.

You won't, not if it is anything like as convoluted as MGS4 anyway (the one I have played).

Personally I will be completely ignoring the story and focusing on having gun fun in a big stealthy sandbox.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:54 am

It will be interesting to see what people think who haven't played one before... that will be the key for me I think.

Still not quite willing to take the plunge at full price... going to make Satellite Reign my late August/September purchase I think, getting quite hyped for that.
My face is tired.

sohei

Postby sohei » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:28 am

Snowy wrote:
You won't, not if it is anything like as convoluted as MGS4 anyway (the one I have played).

Personally I will be completely ignoring the story and focusing on having gun fun in a big stealthy sandbox.

Well I won't be trying to figure out what the actual story is so much as just making up my own version without worrying too much about accuracy. I'm aware that it's insanely convoluted, but the current game is being described as sufficient fun on its own merit that I won't worry too much about what it's all supposed to mean. Any game that lets me creep round in a box with girl painted on the side is worth a look, imo.
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.00Ghz , 32 Gb Kingston HyperX Fury, Asus Radeon R9 295X2 8GB, Samsung 500gb SSD, Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:42 pm

Haha I agree, and on all counts.

I have only played MGS4, and decided after that particular experience that it would be the last MGS game I would play. Hated the endless exposition.

This does indeed sound like it can be a 'make up your own story' type affair, which I usually love.

sohei

Postby sohei » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:48 pm

I also like the idea that world interactivity will have a more direct tactical impact on your immediate activities, whereas skinning ocelots to make pouches for storing missiles felt like a bit of a fool's errand in FC3, particularly as the combat got a bit repetitive.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:38 pm

Get's a 9 in this months Edge.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:41 pm

Played the prequel single mission jobby last night - quite fun.

The movement was a little clunky - I still view Splinter Cell Chaos theory as the pinnacle of movement within a stealth game. Little details - not being able to mantle your gun to windowsills/barriers that you are crouched behind, having to wiggle about to get yourself into the right position to climb/interact. Niggles though.

The mission was solid, my performance less so. After a stealthy start, taking out guard towers, performing takedowns on guards, it all went south. Cue ripping half the men on the map apart with an AA minigun, tear-arsing around in an APC (lovely driving physics on that, but points docked for no aiming reticule for the cannon), full auto and use of grenades, you name it. I single handedly exterminated almost the entire map.

Not sure I will replay it, but was a fun couple of hours.

JasonHimm

Postby JasonHimm » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:45 pm

I've also just finished the main mission in Ground Zeroes. And I also started out nice and stealthy and things eventually went to shit. The silencers break after only a few uses it seems. And I made the mistake of picking up the fancy stun pistol from the truck in the middle of the base. Problem is it's not silenced and I couldn't figure out how to pick back up the stun pistol that you start with. Eventually made it through by causing a ruckus, hiding until they stopped looking for me and then continuing on. I think there are 5 more missions unlocked once you finish the main mission and there's another hidden mission you get somehow. After completing the main mission, it says I'm at 7% complete!

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:25 pm

I got the impression that they are sub-missions within the single main one Jason, be interested to hear otherwise if thats not the case.

JasonHimm

Postby JasonHimm » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:20 pm

There are other things to do during the main mission like collecting tapes and patches and rescuing hostages but there were also missions that opened up at the end of the mission. Maybe you skipped the ending?

Side Ops are the secondary missions found in MGS5: Ground Zeroes. There are four in total, and can be unlocked by completing the main Ground Zeroes mission.

Each operation has it's own objectives and challenges, plus bonuses which can be unlocked based on your ranking for each mission.

*Eliminate the Renegade Threat: Neutralize two targets for an unknown contact, then escape the area.
*Intel Operative Rescue: Aid in the escape of a high-value undercover operative from the base.
*Classified Intel Acquisition: Make contact with an informant, then retrieve the data and escape.
*Destroy the Anti-Air Emplacements: Destroy three AA guns to make way for a U.S. helicopter assualt.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:21 pm

They're all on the same map only with different objectives. For the most part they don't really play much differently.

JasonHimm

Postby JasonHimm » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:49 pm

That's right

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:41 pm

God damn it I'm excited for this. It's been getting amazing review scores...if that means anything these days. Sounds like it's MSG light story wise. Not many batshit insane moments, but a load of gameplay and open world things to do.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:22 pm

I'm dithering on thus now god damn you Ian and other preys denizens grrrrrr.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action