Life is Strange- Dontnod's next game

Shoot the shit.
DjchunKfunK

Life is Strange- Dontnod's next game

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:07 pm

So Dotnod have announced their next project which is a third person action game called Life is Strange. I was quite surprised to hear about this as I though Dotnod had to fold after Remember Me. I'm glad they are still around as I enjoyed Remember Me, despite it's flaws. I think the studio has a fair amount of talent especially when it comes to art direction, so it will be interesting to see how this game turns out.

This game is described as an "episodic, digitally delivered, narrative driven adventure game" starring a female lead called Max Caufield who has the power to rewind time, and her friend Chloe. You are tasked with uncovering what has happened to one of your fellow students who disappeared under mysterious circumstances in a fictional town called Arcadia. The game is to be published by Square Enix with no word yet on a release date. It's due to be shown at Gamescom this week so we should hear more as the week goes one.

Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Subway Diet

Re: Life is Strange- Dotnod's next game

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:10 pm

Depends on what sort of adventure gaming we're talking about. Action adventure I'm on board with, but I'll need convincing if it turns our like a typical modern day Telltale walk'n'talk.
End of an Era

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:54 pm

If they fix the camera that Remember Me had and hired a better animator this would almost definitely get a buy from me.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:17 pm

If they drop episodic theres more chance I'll take notice.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:39 pm

Arcadia is not a very original fake name. This thread reminded me that I own The Walking Dead, I should play it... eventually.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:02 am

Eurogamer Preview

They are going for a similar style to Telltale and are aiming for a similar length, price and release structure. It will be interesting to see a different studios take on this formula.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:38 pm

Just completed Episode One and I really enjoyed it. The style and atmosphere is great and as I've stated before I'm a sucker for great style and atmosphere, especially when Dotnod are concerned. Apart from that the story is pretty slow as it is obviously setting up the characters in this first episode and just touches on the wider story that will join all the episodes together. The rewind time mechanic is cool as although it allows you to see the outcome of each choice you have to make, it doesn't tell you how it effects things in a wider context and even having seen the outcome you still end up considering your choices carefully.

I'm looking forward to seeing where they go next and commend them for the style and world they have created and also going with interesting female characters as leads. In-fact nearly all the major characters are female with men relegated to supporting roles.

Emaharg

Postby Emaharg » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:03 pm

My word, this has me hook, line and sinkered. I am completely captivated by the story, and where they are going to take it. I loved every bit of it, and even found myself looking everywhere for a little bit more information about the world it is set in. The rewind mechanic is fantastic, like DJ said, you can check out every choice, and see which one you like the outcome of best. I often found myself rewinding several times to change the outcome and then thinking about it, to work out which option would possibly serve me best in future.

DjchunKfunK wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing where they go next and commend them for the style and world they have created and also going with interesting female characters as leads. In-fact nearly all the major characters are female with men relegated to supporting roles.

I agree DJ, they have several female characters that could easily become major players in this story, and some who are already. It's a nice change to see.

If they do this right, this may become one of my favourite games.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:32 am

Subway Diet wrote:Depends on what sort of adventure gaming we're talking about. Action adventure I'm on board with, but I'll need convincing if it turns our like a typical modern day Telltale walk'n'talk.

I wasn't convinced.

Saw some clips and, well, I actually had a physical reaction to the writing. Sort of a full body cringe while also laughing in despair. :P
I've seen this kind of dialogue in film and TV, the kind of overly perfect ideal of what an "indie" teenager would talk like, as interpreted as an adult who thinks they're cool. The story and gameplay mechanics could be great, but if I want to punch the monitor every time someone opens their mouth or goes off on a very "hipster" internal monologue, yeah, I'll have to pass. :lol:

Also *waves walking stick* durn youngsters and their bright hair and their piercings and ironic tattoos and sub dermal implants!
End of an Era

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed May 13, 2015 1:25 pm

Episode 3, Chaos Theory, is out next Tuesday.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Mon May 18, 2015 1:18 pm

Episode 3 trailer...

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue May 19, 2015 9:59 pm

Oh man episode three is so good.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed May 20, 2015 11:37 am

In terms of puzzles it was the worst of the three, with some pretty obtuse, unintuitive things you need to do (spent 5 mins trying to find where the eggs were. They should be in the bloody fridge!). In terms of story, it was the best of the three. Really getting interesting.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu May 21, 2015 7:44 am

I didn't mind the puzzles in this episode, probably because I see them as just background noise. Much like all adventure games I've just trained myself to sweep the area for stuff to interact with so I found the eggs pretty quickly. Plus in this game the stuff you interactive with helps you to build an understanding of Max's character.

The best thing about this latest episode was the way they continued to build the relationship between Chloe and Max. I really felt that the two characters were best friends, more so than in previous episodes, which made what happened at the end of the episode that more impactfull. At times I felt the game had become a Nancy Drew story, what with all the investigating, but again this just meant they had more time to focus on the relationship between the two girls.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu May 21, 2015 1:18 pm

I think I was mostly annoyed by the fact that - (zomg eggs spoiler alert) - the eggs were in a full shopping bag by the front door. Who the fuck dumps the shopping by the front door then goes into the kitchen to cook?! Put the shopping away you lazy arse!

The other one that riled me a bit was getting past the principal at the start, mainly because the exact mechanics of how the rewind thing works are a bit fuzzy and it wasn't clear that I could rewind and remain where I 'currently' was, and also go back further than when I'd first appeared in that area. I thought it would rewind to when I first came out of the dorm, at which point it was already too late to get past the principal. I spent about 10 minutes wondering around trying to use everything in sight because I thought I could cause a distraction.

But those are two minor complaints in what was otherwise a great episode.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Next

Return to FPS & Action