Battleborn - 40% Off On Steam Until May 29th

Shoot the shit.
DjchunKfunK

Re: Battleborn - 40% Off On Steam Until May 29th

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri May 27, 2016 10:57 pm

I've seen a fair amount of marketing around the game.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri May 27, 2016 11:04 pm

How they thought they could compete with Overwatch is beyond sense though.

Doesn't help that it looks pretty dull.

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri May 27, 2016 11:16 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:I've seen a fair amount of marketing around the game.

I could be wrong but I think you had to really find stuff yourself about the game. There was loads of character videos that I wasn't even aware of till I heard about it on a podcast. I don't think they even got mentioned on any gaming sites either.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat May 28, 2016 9:13 am

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat May 28, 2016 9:15 am

Did they try to compete with Overwatch though or was that just the media pitting the two against each other? This was announced a long time before Overwatch was and would have been out before as well if it wasn't for a last minute delay. It also provides a totally different experience to Overwtach. I think they have just done a bad job at explaining the differences to people and the media have made things worse by just being lazy.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:45 pm

Aaron Linde lead writer on the game has quit developer Gearbox, whether it was directly down to the poor reception Battleborn received is not known but I highly suspect it played a huge part in his decision to up sticks.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:59 am

If anyone is at all interested in this still, for £11 the newest humble bundle gives you this....

The Darkness II
Spec Ops: The Line
Duke Nukem Forever
Sid Meier's Civilization V
NBA 2K16
Mafia II: Digital Deluxe Edition
Battleborn Start Skin Pack
Battleborn
Battleborn Platinum Currency
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

:lol:

Thats about the deadest a game has ever dropped.

You know I might just buy it for the lolz at that price! Kind of want Duke, Darkness and NBA anyway.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:47 pm

That didn't last long did it :/

Spec Ops is pretty awesome

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:16 pm

Dave will appreciate this.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/12/19/why- ... f-the-year

I agree that the delight in which sections of the media seemed to report the demise of the game was pretty bad. It's an interesting take on the game though and probably demonstrates why I didn't get on with it. I'm not interested in tweaking stats to make my build better in a shooter. I just want to load in and kill people.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:41 pm

I most certainly do. :)

Truth be told though I myself stopped playing the game some months ago as I was finding it impossible to find a match and was sat in lobbies for forever every single time I loaded up the game. Battleborn is and always shall remain a highly misunderstood hidden gem of a game and I 100% get where that specific article is coming from. When I could find a game I had loads of fun but the positive to negative ratio behind actually making your way into a game in the first place and then not have half your time leave mid game was simply too high a price to have to pay.

It is a tragedy that Battleborn and Overwatch were inextricably linked - the yin and yang of success and failure. I’ve spent numerous lunch breaks seething behind a Tesco Chicken and Stuffing Meal Deal Sandwich while trawling metacritic, venomously disagreeing, tutting and rolling my eyes at every sub-par review, and especially the ones that use the ‘O’ word over and over.

Then, shortly after release, things got worse. Somehow it became a thing to celebrate Battleborn’s failure - and probable demise - as news. The same places that had misconstrued and kneecapped the game then danced on its grave.

I lost count of the “how many people are playing Overwatch compared to Battleborn!” articles. Others amounted to little more than “I saw Battleborn in a shop for £9.99!” The media’s willingness and complicity in perpetuating the narrative that ‘Battleborn is shit Overwatch’ - when a couple of hours of play shows that up - is frankly an injustice. What kills me is not that Battleborn gets ragged on, but that the attacks bear so little relation to what the game really is.

So much this. My son owns ‘O’ on his Xbox One and personally I just don't think it's a very inspiring or fun game at all compared to BB. I quite liked the beta sure but since discovering BB I never once thought of buying the full game and what I have played on the console has left me feeling pretty damn cold towards it.

My time with BB was highly memorable and it's a damn shame that Gearbox simply didn't have the foresight to properly manage it into being a successful new IP. That much it easily deserved.

Previous

Return to FPS & Action