Shoot the shit.
Jez

Re: Dying Light

Postby Jez » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:48 am

Hehe love this place sooo much. :)

STuG

Postby STuG » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:41 am

The more i watch online of this the more i am drawn to it.

Unlike the somewhat 'animated' reviewer posted earlier in the thread i always knew what the game entailed and never placed unrealistic expectations before it.

Some interesting news released.

Techland has announced that it has plans to bring official modding tools to its freshly-launched survive-'em-up zombie fest Dying Light, requesting suggestions from the community as to what they'd like to see.
The company has now set the record straight, indicating that it does indeed support the modding community - and will prove it with the release of official tools to make modifying the game even easier.

'We want to announce something really special - we are creating our own set of Modding Tools,' Techland community manager Michał Napora stated in a forum thread late last week. 'We're all in awe of some of the modds [sic] we've seen so far - the drop kick that send the zombies into the sky is nuts. It's amazing to see what you guys are able to come up with. Soon, you'll be able to create your own version of a zombie outbreak. We've been working on a set of Modding Tools for some time, but we would also love to hear your thoughts on the issue.'

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:15 pm

It is a weird one STuG, on the one hand you can sprint, spring and vault like a madman so it gives you that video game staple of being a bit superhuman. On the flip, you have to exercise caution as going in blindly is a surefire way of getting yourself killed.

You get used to sprinting from point to point, over rooftops where possible but often at ground level. When you are sprinting, the zoms are so slow that they don't really pose much threat. If you stop though (as you are constantly encouraged to do with collectibles or tempting opportunities for more collectibles) it is amazing how quickly you can get yourself into trouble.

The encourages a healthy respect for the game environment which makes it the ONLY zombie game I have played that does (PvP nightmares like Day Z notwithstanding). Those guys in the Walking Dead and the like, trapped on the roof of a transit van - I get them now. I feel their pain. If I wasn't such a leapy parkour loon, that guy would be me! The amount of times I have followed up a molotov with a swift looting session on the dead zoms, only to end up desperately scrambling to the rooftop of a wrecked vehicle with a steadily closing ring of undead nibbling my Nikes...

I am getting massive withdrawal from it too - my gaming buddy who I am co-oping the game with is in the recording studio atm with his band recording their 1st album, and it will be 5 days before I get more zommings!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:51 pm

Snowy's fave reviews the game:

Basically says the gameplay is good, it's better doing it co-op than solo, but the story and characters are weak and the final level a bit of a mess.
My face is tired.

STuG

Postby STuG » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:58 pm

Snowy wrote:Buy it STuG you fun starved fool.

Or words to that effect.

I am pretty much sold on this due to invaluable peer reviews such as yours (Preys World proves it's worth yet again) and the things i have watched online from 'Tubers, then the modding announcement was made and that sealed it.

I always enjoy enthusiasm for games. I enjoy my hobby, far too many mourn it for my taste at times. Will pick this up soon.

:D

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:52 pm

Don't watch the review, fucking spoiler central. Not for the story, I mean, that's garbage anyhow, but for a lot of zombie types and set pieces you will otherwise be surprised by.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:41 pm

The game is now down to £24 on cdkeys.

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/dying-li ... -key-steam
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:15 pm

Ok so the prices is down to £22.99 which means £20 with the 5% discount they always have. I think it might be time to jump in on that.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri May 15, 2015 11:59 am

So finished this the other day. Yes that was a while in coming, but my mate who I was initially playing with had some personal issues and dropped off the radar for a month, and my other co-op buddy had bugs that stopped it working for him for a while.

Anyhow.

Finished.

What a bittersweet experience. Everything up to the finish I LOVED. Mostly. Then the climax of the game, and it is a fucking QTE. A game where you spend your time building your ninja parkour skills, your weapons arsenal, your combat abilities. Press A. Press W. Press S. Press D. Done. Gah how could that ever have got past the decision makers, I was livid.

I had another teensy gripe too. When you start the game, the zombie hordes are lethal. Individually they aren't too dangerous, but getting snarled up fighting one often resulted in you getting surrounded and that could be very dangerous. What this meant was that you took great care to pick your battles, using the terrain to maintain a safe position. This gave the game a real feel of danger and isolation, forcing you to act in a realistic manner (parkour notwithstanding) as you felt vulnerable and outnumbered.

With the levelling system though, this does not persist. I remember a point about halfway through the game where my buddy and I dropped into an area that looked safe but actually had around 20 zoms under an arch that we hadn't seen from our rooftop vantage point. Up to then, 20 zoms would mean one of us luring them together before doing a runner while the other dropped in some molotovs to take care of them. With us both on the ground though, that gambit wasn't open to us. Pulling our machetes we waded in... and slaughtered the lot with ease.

From there we turned more and more into zombie-slaying powerhouses, sending heads and limbs spinning with gay abandon. The largest specials needed a little more care, but the majority fell like chaff before our scythe.

Now don't get me wrong, the game was still a heap of fun, but the initial atmosphere, that vulnerability, really lent the title menace, and the experience was less for the lack of it.

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:10 am

Loads more content on the way :)
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:05 am

That's good news, we were considering another playthrough soon :)

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:52 pm

That fooking toon!!

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:19 pm

Formerly MrAnnoyed

Tank

Postby Tank » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:56 pm

Sure does look pretty when it rains.

I am a couple of hours into this and considering the whole package (game and season pass) only set me back £16 I am dead chuffed so far. The upcoming content in the video above looks great too.
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:31 am

It's a great game Tank, you are in for a treat.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action