Mass Effect 4 - Andromeda [PC, PS4, XBone]

Shoot the shit.
katarn

Re: Mass Effect 4 - Andromeda [PC, PS4, XBone]

Postby katarn » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:55 pm

Yeah, thanks man. Rather enjoying it.

The only thing I think it's missing, is a little more tactics in combat. But then the original series gradually became more and more action-orientated as it went on, so I wasn't really expecting it.

katarn

Postby katarn » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:19 pm

Yep, well this has got me sucked in hook, line and sinker. I just love the feel of the game. It really pushes all the buttons for being a space-hopping explorer. The design of the alien architecture is genuinely jaw-dropping at times. Plus a lot of the side missions are actually quite fun and interesting.

In the interest of being balanced though, it's only fair to mention a few quibbles that run alongside the good aspects:

Research/squad loadouts. 95% of all these research options are effectively worthless to me since I only need one or two select weapons and armour for my particular build, plus a few extras. They decided to rip out weapons/armour setups for your squad members completely. So what could have been an in-depth (and essential) R&D system has been over-simplified and made mostly redundant.

Combat has also been stripped right down even more (compared to ME1), you have no control over when your squad members are going to choose to use their powers. Sometimes you can get lucky and make use of what they're doing, but not often. It's a shame really, especially when you can just see how much better the combat could be.

I'm getting the impression this is a very decent game that could have easily been an excellent one if they'd kept in some deeper gameplay aspects.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:36 pm

\:D/
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:52 pm

I got the distinct feeling that the combat using team mates abilities bit was just not in a fit state to release so they pulled it. It's a shame as you say though because it was a great feature in other games of the series.

I was dithering then whether to reinstall but I talked myself out of it because (a) I don't have the time for a big single player these days. (b) it was ok first time round but not ok enough to flip the bird to the missus in reason (a) :)

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:17 am

Jez wrote:I got the distinct feeling that the combat using team mates abilities bit was just not in a fit state to release so they pulled it.

I'm increasingly coming to the conclusion they pulled squad equipment at the last moment also. And decided to just throw in massive buffs to their level-ups as a replacement.

Because I'm absolutely rolling in research points and credits (literally got thousands of RP spare), with absolutely nothing to spend either on. Since I have no squad mates to sort weapons/armour for.

It's completely lopsided, which makes me think they initially designed the entire minerals/tech/research/credit/market system for kitting out 7 people instead of 1. It's also made the Viability point stuff redundant also, since there's no need for any of those bonuses either. I've already got more than I could ever possibly need just halfway through the game.

It's a shame, but the fact I'm loving the rest of it shows they got a huge amount right with the game despite that.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:23 am

It needed the full bioware A team treatment. Such a shame as it could have really opened up the franchise for the company, while new galaxy blah Dee blah with some great exploration mechanics and fresh gameplay.

In the end it felt like a DLC of its progenitor a lot of the time for me. Not especially bad just totally not original or polished enough for anything close to a classic status.

edit.... far as I know the A team are working in some Destiny type thing that I can't remember. Hope it's worth it for them. I likely won't bother.

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:09 pm

Yeah, I think it's a really decent, solid 8/10 game.

Also, they made a fatal mistake of having their worst bit of dialogue in the whole game (as far as I've got anyway) in the first couple of hours. Plus the worst-voiced character by a mile features heavily in the first part of the game too (Addison).

Added to the release glitches, which were nearly all fixed in the patch, they really screwed the release tbh. It allowed the internet naysayers to rip it to pieces before it really had a chance.

But.... I have to say, I never felt the original Mass Effect games were 'classics' as such. So I don't necessarily place Andromeda below those games if I were to rank them. A bit less polish, and some infuriating missing gameplay components, but also some truly wonderful world-exploring at times to make up for it.

They sort of all even themselves out I think. Going on my perception of how much I've enjoyed each of them.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:14 pm

ME2 is still one of my favourite games of all time, and ME1 had probably the best story of any of them and the best antagonist... but if I had to replay one of them, today, then after ME2 I'd play Andromeda I think. The wonky shooting and planetary exploration of ME1 bog down any replay attempts, and ME3 became a bit of a slog for some reason.

You mirror my thoughts on Addison, I think I commented on her in one of my posts during my playthrough... and that was before her horrible, staring eyes got fixed in a patch. It's baffling how they managed to screw up a character who plays such a big role in the opening hours and who you have to interact with repeatedly throughout. At least her face is somewhat fixed, if not her voice and dialogue.

It's a solid game, with some great exploration and gameplay, and it's a shame it's apparently killed the franchise undeservedly.
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:25 pm

I think one of my old arguments about ME1 & 2 was that ME2 fixed half the problems ME1 had, but then made the other half actively worse. I've always flip-flopped between those two as to which I preferred.

It's like, if ME1 had ME2's polish & characters... If ME2 had ME1's story and sense of wonder & adventure, etc...

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:39 pm

I think it comes down to personal taste. For the second game I just loved the structure, of gradually assembling a team of space badasses for a suicide mission, think it worked really well and obviously introduced a couple of new characters that were among the best in the entire series. But the story of the first, Sovereign et al, was better than the over-arching Collectors story for the second game.
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:44 pm

It just seemed as though they didn't get near enough time to finish it out properly in many areas. I reckon a solid 6 months would have cleaned up a lot of the issues with "my face is tired", the occasional wonky animations, maybe included the team ability in combat mechanics etc.

It still likely wouldn't have been a classic but at least it wouldn't be in the toilet where it is now as a potentially great franchise. Media assassination justified or not (I still say not) it's not coming back anytime soon and that's a damn shame.

Paul

Postby Paul » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:45 pm

I downloaded the free 10 hour demo. I played for about 2.

Shit game.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:49 pm

2 hours doesn't do the opinion justice mate. You need to play about 6 to 10 in order to see it properly. Maybe a game shouldn't be like that but sadly this one games a while to bed in with itself. It's part of its problem in general but most here felt it was worth beasting through the early part.

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:52 pm

Jez wrote:Media assassination justified or not (I still say not) it's not coming back anytime soon and that's a damn shame.

Yeah, having put 40 hours + into it already it seems the whole response to those early glitches was pretty pathetic. It's ended up being just as enjoyable as the other ME games overall for me, regardless of its strengths and weaknesses.

Also, I think it was the fact a whole ton of responses early on were from people online who hadn't even played the game properly and were just piling in. They saw 4 bad words of dialogue, some glitchy animation and that was enough to tear the whole game a new arsehole.

Paul

Postby Paul » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:49 pm

Sorry. My comment was mainly for old time's sake :lol:

It was ok I guess, but I encountered quite a few bugs and I found the combat to be underwhelming due to shitty AI. It just didn't grip me like ME1 / 2. Everything felt weirdly disjointed and 'off' somehow.

I'll probably pick it up for a tenner or so in a few years.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action