Mass Effect 4 - Andromeda [PC, PS4, XBone]

Shoot the shit.
Edwin
the cunt

Re: Mass Effect 4 - Andromeda [PC, PS4, XBone]

Postby Edwin » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:55 pm

Completed the trial, in five hours. The game runs like crap once I got to the first planet, I had to turn everything down to medium. I'm one of those people who liked the mako sections in ME1 so I also liked driving around the desert, does the truck thing ever get a gun? The barebones side quests got some criticism on release but that was probably because it was being compared to The Witcher 3, however compared to the last RPG I played, Dragon's Dogma, they're so much better. I haven't come across a quest that was literally "Kill 50 rabbits" or "Pick this incredibly common herb then walk for fifteen real time minutes to deliver to some plastic faced cockhole who just happened to be standing next to the herb they wanted you to pick" and the supporting characters have far more personality than "pawns" that get created by other players who are far more interested in creating a virtual waifu for themselves. The combat (I played Vanguard), even melee, is considerably better too. You can use skill and tactics to defeat the enemy instead of grinding through a billion wolves until your numbers increase enough. The UI was supposed to be poor too but again I think people must have been comparing it to something like SkyUI -which is a mod- and not the menus you get in vanilla skyrim, or again Dragon's Dogshits.

I'm going to buy the full game, £25 seems reasonable all things considered ¬_¬
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:06 pm

Vanguard is soooo much fun, as Prey will also attest.

£25 is good value for what's there, can't remember how long it took me to complete in the end but was easily in the 60+ hour region, and if you enjoy the moment to moment gameplay it never really gets old.
My face is tired.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:19 pm

I like that you aren't in a fixed class, you can take skills from every area. When enemies would jump out of a dropship I'd throw in some grenades to soften them up then use the charge attack followed by nova and finish everyone off with melee or the shotgun. It's less rigid than Mass Effect 1-3. I'm going to start again though and play through a little more slowly now I don't have a time limit to worry about.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:53 pm

For sure. And I hardly touched the profiles system either the entire game, which if done right potentially allows you to switch up powers and play-styles on the fly. I always felt so overpowered though I never really felt the need other than curiosity about some of the tech abilities.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:55 pm

I've reached EOS and just started the quest to activate the two other monuments. My overriding feeling when playing this game so far has been one of disappointment. The developers had the chance to make a clean break and instead they have created something that is very similar to the original games, just of a lower standard. It's like some off-brand Mass Effect. If you can ignore the wooden characters, the terrible dialogue and the fact that you are dealing with the same aliens with the same problems, you can see that there is the seed of an interesting world, but you really have to dig down to get to it. It does look really nice at times too.

The UI was supposed to be poor too but again I think people must have been comparing it to something like SkyUI -which is a mod- and not the menus you get in vanilla skyrim, or again Dragon's Dogshits.

I think the UI is rather bad and getting around it is very counter-intuitive. Stuff like having to press escape multiple times to get out of the menu is very annoying.

Dragons Dogma is a game from 2012 so I don't think it is really a fair comparison.

EDIT: Just to say I don't think it is a bad game and if I bought the full game I think I would have some fun and I'd be tempted if I could get it for £20.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:34 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:the fact that you are dealing with the same aliens with the same problems

This is the thing that constantly bugs me from all the gameplay videos and screenshots I've seen. There seems to be like... ONE new race in this entirely different galaxy 0.o
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:44 pm

Hit nail on head really DJ. It's an off brand ... overall a good off brand but .... off brand all the same.

I was hoping the game would have offered a lot more places to discover and engaging interesting ways to discover them, with maybe one or two quests on each then ticked those move on and choose another planet to visit. Sure there'd be hub planets with many more missions associated with main story or whatever. But I was really let down by the lack of "discovery" in this.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:34 pm

Having played Quantum Break this week the difference in animation between the two games is staggering. I know Remedy are one of the best around, but still.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:11 pm

And done. Took about 70 hours to finish in the end, including doing everything that wasn't listed as a Task. I moved away from Vanguard because it was stupidly overpowered and tried soldier then a mix of soldier + tech for massive combo damage. I got the feeling that the weapons are balanced at all, there are two that are very obviously more powerful than everything else. Most of the side quests were interesting however many of them had an annoying tendency to send you planet hoping every two minutes for each step and there were a few instances of crew members sending me an email going along the lines of "we need to talk, lets meet on a planet" despite being a ten second walk down a corridor. Also at least three significant seeming bad guys gave me the "This isn't over" speech before fleeing and never being seen again.

Spoiler: show
The AI you find for example, is surrounded by warnings that saving it will lead to your doom and literally nothing happens.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Didn't finish it myself. As much as I enjoyed it in the mid game I cake to realise it was pretty generic fare especially in the writing and voice acting. I know I say it a lot but Witcher 3 ruined me with these sorts of games.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:45 am

36 hours in myself. Got the five main planets to 100%, yet only discovered 50% or so of the galaxy map so I've no idea how much more there is left.

I'm still enjoying it. The problem is that the good Mass Effect stuff is buried under a lot of boring open world quests. You'll meet a minor character who sounds like they've a good story to tell, only to get that said story it means to driving from point A, to B, to planet C, fight some generic baddies, then back to A. It's wearying and makes the game feel needlessly padded out. And those aren't even the Tasks, which are even more blatant in their simplicity.

On the whole, would have preferred the tighter focus with well made hub worlds and hand crafted missions of the original trilogy over the check point chasing open world design. Or, you know, better open world design with more variety to the missions. The actual shooting of dudes and running about is pretty damn good. Just wish it was put into uniquely crafted scenarios more often.

As for the writing. While it's not exactly up there with the original trilogy's best moments, it's not without charm. That's about the best I can say, but it's not like I'm repelled by it, even when dropping a few clankers every now and then.

Shall keep on going, though I'll likely start mainlining the story from here on out.
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:04 pm

From your description it sounds a lot like they've done with Andromeda what they did with Dragon Age Inquisition.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:31 pm

It's done a lot better than in DAI, honestly.

And the moment to moment action is much improved because the combat is actually fun.
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:56 pm

I played it for a few hours when it came out, got distracted by other games, then came back to it last week. After fighting against the controls (and interface in general) for a couple of hours I rage quit. This is one of those games where the UI is so uintuitive that if you forget the tutorial stuff from the first few hours then you're buggered. I'll probably restart the whole game in a year or so so I can re-learn everything. For now, I can think of few games from the last decade that are more obtuse to play.

I'm sure there's a decent game in there, but while I'm ranting about it I may as well continue! Story aside, the problem is that they've over-complicated so many things that were purposefully and successfully made minimalist in ME2 and 3, such as the removal of the inventory. Now there's all this crafting junk to pick up that I don't care about. There's a bunch of icons while I'm roaming a planet and I don't know what any of them mean - I can't even tell which is the quest marker I've got selected. The controls swap with context-sensitivity in ways which make me do things I don't intend to. There's so much going on in terms of the HUD that there is zero clarity of information. The whole thing is, frankly, a mess, particularly compared with the near-seamless efforts of the other Mass Effect games. If I was designing a game interface, I would use Andromeda as the benchmark for what NOT to do.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:51 pm

All I can really say is that wasn't my experience at all. I didn't have any problems with the controls, though I did remap a couple of things for preference. Nor with the map, and didn't find it particularly obtuse.

The inventory and crafting menus could be more intuitive, but they're not massively off-putting imo.
My face is tired.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action