Mass Effect 4 - Andromeda [PC, PS4, XBone]

Shoot the shit.
Edwin
the cunt

Re: Mass Effect 4 - Andromeda [PC, PS4, XBone]

Postby Edwin » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:08 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Edwin wrote:Is the full game going to be on Origin Access? If you can finish it in a couple of months it'll work out cheaper than buying.

You get 10 hours on Access, then the game stops and asks you to buy the full version.

Dragon Age Inquisition was on Access pretty soon after release. It might be worth waiting until MEA appears on there too.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:24 pm

Good to know, I guess, but I think at this stage I'm looking forward to getting stuck in again on day one.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:52 am

Reviews are up. Consensus seems to be that the world is decent and the combat fun, but it's let down by a poor story and no real stand-out characters. Eurogamer seem to be the most down on it calling it the worst RPG Bioware has made.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... -andromeda

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/03/20/m ... eda-review

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/20/148866 ... box-One-PC

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/0 ... da-review/
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:04 am

Worse than the Dragon Age games?! :o
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:24 am

eVoL wrote:Worse than the Dragon Age games?! :o

Considering the state the game is in regarding bugs and the fact that they appear to have taken the ideas behind the Hinterland in DA:I and spread it across a whole galaxy of planets, perhaps it is. Anyway the only bad DA game according to reviewers was DA2 and at least that tried to do some interesting things and it had better writing.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:27 am

I've enjoyed the first 10 hours I've played, but yeah there are some flaws. I've not read the reviews posted, but the scores seem fair enough. I've only met a couple of the first party characters you meet, and haven't invested any time in speaking to them to find out their back-stories, so can't really comment on that aspect yet.

The story premise is interesting at least, but again I can't vouch for how it pans out over the course of the game.
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:44 am

Gamespot gave it a 6.

Said same thing. Great world's decent combat let down by dull lifeless story and writing poorly delivered. Lots of Fetch quests too for God sake.

Such a shame.

CDPROJEKT save us!

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:11 am

I don't think the backlash against this would have been so big if they hadn't tried passing it off as a full Bioware production when in fact it's been made by a C team who have never made a full game before on their own. It still wouldn't have reviewed well, but currently it also seems like every message board and reddit page is out to tear this game a new one.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:23 am

In that respect is there even a true Bioware anymore? The team that made stuff like KOTOR, DA and the first two ME games no longer really exists. It feels more like a brand now than an actual top tier studio.

Oh and Montreal took the lead, but Edmonton was still helping out.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:33 am

My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:54 am

One thing worth mentioning that a couple of the reviews have mentioned (I've read the RPS, PCG and IGN ones so far) is the use of profiles.

Remember when we were talking about DAI and how playing as one class could result in a drastically different experience, essentially one class being great fun, one a bit meh and the third a bit crap? That doesn't apply here.

Basically, the profiles allow you to switch classes on the fly.

I've not really explored this aspect in my playthrough yet - because skill points aren't abundant at first I've concentrated solely on the biotic tree and beefing up my three favourite abilities (you can select three at any one time).

But, effectively, you can level up different classes at the same time quite easily. So, when levelling, I can choose whether I want to spend points on biotic, tech or combat skills. These are broadly speaking all abilities you could find in ME3, with a smattering of new ones. BUT, on a different tab, you can set up a loadout for each different class. These are your profiles, and there are (without checking), seven of them I think: Soldier (pure combat), biotic (pure biotic), infiltrator (sniper effectively, mix of tech and combat), engineer (pure tech), vanguard (mix of biotic and combat), sentinel (tech/biotic mix), and explorer which combines the three. As well as choosing ability loadouts, each profile awards sizeable bonuses that are geared around supporting that playstyle. On a basic level, for instance, the biotic profile bonuses include speeding up cooldowns and boosting biotic power damage.

What you can then do is pause combat to select a new profile. Say to start with I'm playing as my biotic profile to shred non-shielded grunts, but then a big unit enters the battlefield with heavy shields or armour. He's basically immune to my biotic abilities, so I can pause (it functions like the real-time pause in other MEs where you'd select powers or issue commands to companions) and choose say my engineer profile, which I've set up with abilities that take down shields or melt armour. After killing that guy, I'm maybe left with a bunch of snipers at distance beyond the range of my powers, with no cover in between us. I could switch to my vanguard profile maybe and close the distance with a biotic charge and take them down with an area attack or shotgun blast, or maybe my infiltrator profile to help snipe them back, or cloak me so I can reach them without being killed.

I've not experimented with these profiles yet, as I said, but it sound like an intriguing system and I'm looking forward to testing it out a bit. In particular I've struggled so far with shielded enemies, so may work on that engie profile next.

Oh, and you can apparently respec any time you want on your ship.

I think it's a neat system that enables you to see the best of every class and get to use them tactically. Combine that with the extra mobility of the jump-jets, vast choice of weapons (the functionality of which can be adapted in mind-boggling ways via the crafting system)... and it's clear a lot of thought has been given to making it a flexible experience everyone should be able to get something out of and find a playstyle they're happy with. Anyone who says it's just whack-a-mole with guns is simply choosing to eschew the myriad options and play that way. Which you can totally do if you want.

I think there's a fair amount of innovation on show here in systems like the above... which again just highlights the uneven nature of the game when weighed against the writing and (some) of the animations. And again, the environments look amazing.

There's good stuff to be seen here, for sure, and it is fun to play... it's a shame you also have to tolerate a bunch of no-so-good stuff to get to it. But having played the first 10 hours, I'm satisfied that I'll be able to do that at least.
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:27 pm

I've never liked it when games abandon class systems in favour of making you a master of all trades. It always takes a lot away from the overall experience that I can just do everything the game has to offer at any time with an easy shuffle. It kills the immersion of roleplaying a class and also ruins the idea of having squadmates who you can synergise abilities with (which is irrelevant in this game too since they dropped the strategic orders wheel).

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:27 pm

So in essence you can change your entire load out and abilities from moment to moment even during combat? Without having to interact with a "load out station" or "whatever"? The weapons just appear on your back and abilities are on the abilities bar? Do you not find that a bit immersion breaking or what?

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:34 pm

Yeah, that's kind of lame as shit.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:35 pm

Jez wrote:So in essence you can change your entire load out and abilities from moment to moment even during combat? Without having to interact with a "load out station" or "whatever"? The weapons just appear on your back and abilities are on the abilities bar? Do you not find that a bit immersion breaking or what?

It's not weapons, just your three abilities on your hotbar (which you fire off with keys 1, 2 and 3) and the bonuses each class receives (cooldown times, health, shields, weapon damage, power damage etc).

It is explained in-game how and why you (and only you) is able to do this. It's a bit sci-fi gubbins, but it's fine. At least there's an attempt at explanation. Essentially it's the special AI programme your dad wrote for Pathfinders, which you inherit during the opening few hours.

You can however change your weapon loadout on the planet maps as well at set points. As you travel around, you (automatically, it just happens) call down a 'forward station', which is a little pod that also provides a small safe haven from the planet's climate (generally either heat, radiation or cold, so similar to a lot of ME1 planets) to refresh your life support systems, and can, if you so desire, serve as a fast-travel point. As the maps are pretty big now, that's a welcome addition if a bit videogame-y.

FYI, @ Mantis in particular, you are absolutely free to ignore this entire feature if you so choose - as I said I've not felt need to engage with it during the first 10 hours, I just think it sounds cool and am looking forward to doing so. It's more about the bonuses and being able to use abilities on the fly beyond the three you've chosen. If you're happy to use those three on that mission (and at the start of a mission you can choose which three you take initially), then stick with that if it works for you.

I guess I don't really see why flexibility is bad. I do miss being able to order companions when and where to use powers, but hey ho.
My face is tired.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action