Mass Effect 4 - Andromeda [PC, PS4, XBone]

Shoot the shit.
Jez

Re: Mass Effect 4 - Andromeda [PC, PS4, XBone]

Postby Jez » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:10 am

Cheers little canary :)

Did you get a sense to the story quality?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:14 am

Jez wrote:Cheers little canary :)

Did you get a sense to the story quality?

Way, way too early I'd say. So far it's not gone any further than "we need to settle a new planet"... "hey there's one, let's check it out"
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:52 am

You can't very easily issue orders to team-mates - this could just be me, as combat is generally so fast and frantic with no way to pause and issue commands like you could in previous games. But I also can't see ways to order them to use their powers, to set up combos or take down particular enemies. It could be something that gets introduced a bit later

This wont change I'm afraid, you can only tell squadmates to go to a point or attack/defend etc you can't tell them when to use their powers. They mentioned the difficulty in ordering squadmates about on the Gianbombcast this week, they thought it might be easier with a mouse as you can be more accurate with where you are pointing.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:01 am

Am I the only one who went through the entire Mass Effect series without ever changing weapon, using powers or issuing orders...? :oops: I just went round and shot everything.

(I did change weapon a few times when needed, but 95% of the time I just used the assault rifle).
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:18 am

I remember using it fairly extensively especially in 2 and 3. It was a cool feature that pausing and selecting what you were going to smash something with.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:27 am

The only real fun part of the combat in the previous games was comboing your squads powers off each other. Without that it was just a whack-a-mole style cover shooter.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:29 am

Yeah, I did it loads. Every battle I was basically spamming everyone's powers as soon as they cooled down. Was pretty essential, actually, for performing biotic and tech combos and shredding your way through shields and armour a lot quicker.

Have to say I'll miss having that degree of control over combat. I almost never told them to stand somewhere though (unless the AI had sent them somewhere they were getting murdered)... which seems to be the only element they've retained! That's a bit infuriating.
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:51 am

If you can't utilise squad members in a semi-tactical way with skill combos as before, then that's one less facet to the gameplay. Bit of a shame if that's true.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:39 am

Foster Addison... fucking hell :lol:

You've no doubt seen some of her clips already ("Alec is dead", "my face is tired" etc)... and dear god is she bad. Badly animated, horribly voiced, I saw her makeup compared to that episode of The Simpsons where Homer invents the makeup-shotgun, which is an accurate description. It's so horribly off-putting.

When you meet her, everything just kind of collapses in on itself, she's like a black hole of badness and disbelief being unsuspended. Worse, I think she's actually quite a central figure of the game (like captain Anderson in ME, say).

Up until now the voicework has been good for the most part, but this is a car-crash. It's that bad... how on earth did this make it through QA?

Anyway, rant over...
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:53 am

Finished the introductory mission, spent some time running around the space station, talking to people and doing short side quests and am just about to head out into the next story mission.

Enjoying what I've seen of the story so far, set up some interesting stuff and looking forward to moving through it.

Yeah, the chosen one trope is overused by now, but functionally I don't think it's that different to Shepard accidentally touching a magic space rock in ME1 and becoming humanity's saviour an hour in, either. It's a bit clunky, but not sure how else they could have swung it to allow you to go out on your own ship and starting to explore on your own initiative asap, which is what everyone is going to want to do, surely.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:22 pm

A more rounded look at the first few hours than the previous RTS piece.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/0 ... -problems/

EDIT: The more I read about this game the more it sounds like DA:I in space, but with better combat.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:44 pm

Man... this planet scanning system is going to piss a lot of people off. I didn't mind the scanning from any of the previous games, and I'm tolerating this at best.
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:24 pm

It was worst in ME2. It's hard to believe one of the ship upgrades was to make the scanning faster - more or less an admission that it was slow and tedious, and the upgrade made it slightly less tedious. Or rather tedious for a shorter duration.

It's harder to believe they've brought it back. Did they have an influx of praise for it from secret planet scanning admirers which significantly outweighed the loathing it got from more vocal players?

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:30 pm

It's worse here than ME2 honestly.
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:34 pm

:(

Now that I've started Zelda I can't imagine I'll be ready to play this by next week. I think I'll probably give it another couple of weeks, by which time hopefully some of the issues will be patched. I think this will be the first Bioware game I haven't bought day one since Jade Empire.

Photos!

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action