Mass Effect 4 - Andromeda [PC, PS4, XBone]

Shoot the shit.
DjchunKfunK

Re: Mass Effect 4 - Andromeda [PC, PS4, XBone]

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:48 am

I like the planet scanning, for what it's worth. It looks lovely and each new world or object is fully-rendered, meaning you can disconnect from the galaxy map and look out of it out of the Tempest's bay windows. It's a small detail, but I appreciate it. And if you don't want to slowly drag a cursor over a load of made-up planets, I honestly don't know why you're playing Mass Effect.

I hope this is ironic because otherwise that is a totally stupid thing to say.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:55 am

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:59 am

Not related to that pic in particular, but I've been reading that for MaleRyder the facial hair options still look like utter cack.

Why can't BioWare get beards right? I forgave it in DAO because of less advanced tech available, but surely there's no excuse now for having to play a character that looks like they've glued bits of fluff to their face?

BioWare facial hair tech:

My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:04 pm

:lol:

I don't actually think Andromeda looks as bad as ReBoot, although the eyes are pretty similar, I just liked that someone was referencing the show.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:28 pm

My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:47 pm

Those are funny aye. Saw them on the ED forums earlier. In utter fairness you can find examples of gameplay jankiness in any game you can care to mention if you go looking for it.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:52 pm

This is literally insane... but I'm considering paying £4 on Origin to access the first 10 hours of the game. My thinking is that either I'll be reassured and it'll be a small amount of money well-spent.

Or I'll be horrified and still have time to cancel my preorder, saving myself £30-odd net.
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:14 pm

Dang it all, I went for it. Downloading now. Should be able to play from 8pm or thereabouts, and will post some first impressions later.
My face is tired.

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:43 pm

Yep it's looking like a train wreck. Been enjoying all these bits on twitter though and mombot has been great for linking them all :)

https://twitter.com/AboveUp/status/842136039930101761
Last edited by Lee on Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:54 pm

Sly Boots wrote:Dang it all, I went for it. Downloading now. Should be able to play from 8pm or thereabouts, and will post some first impressions later.

Best forum canary eva!!

I've read quite a few people's impressions now and many mirror the issues seen by pcg but they almost invariably say that it gets better as time goes on after the poor ish start.

I'll wait to see what tweety-sly says. :lol:

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:56 pm

:lol:

I've already asked my wife to hide all the shoelaces and sharp implements.
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:41 pm

Cmon tweet at us sly. Tell us your little access secrets :)

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:03 pm

Still downloading! It's playable at 42%, which I think should be about an hour's time.

Edit: 44gb download, this, incidentally.
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:55 pm

So, I've played the first couple of hours. I don't feel comfortable giving detailed impressions at this stage as it's still very much the opening mission and is still introducing elements of gameplay... but because I don't want to leave Jez on tenterhooks I'll post a few thoughts.

First off, and this may be because my expectations were set so low, I'm quite enjoying it. If this is literally the worst the game has to offer, and it sounds like that is indeed the case, then I can live with this. Pre-order uncancelled.

Other thoughts... the facial and character models are bad. But I'm sure we all knew that by now looking at numerous twitter posts today. Worse, the mouths move in a bizarre way when they're talking, especially in profile. It's hard to explain, but the lips move in a really unnatural way, like in a really poor CGI film of, I don't know, babies made to look as if they're talking, or something. It isn't synced perfectly with what they're saying, either. The overall effect of all this is unsettling to say the least. There's no escaping that in 2017, it's unacceptable really.

Character creation isn't great either, at best it's minor tweaks to preset faces, and seems predisposed towards creating freaks of nature rather than realistic human faces. I was eventually able to make one I was ok with.

The introductory area, on the first planet, is surprisingly massive with multiple, convoluted paths. But not so large that it's unwieldy or off-putting. I like it. I also like the little jump-jet you've got here (can't really call it a jet-pack, though) and the way you use it to traverse the environment. It becomes second nature surprisingly quickly. I've also used it to engage quickly with enemies to finish them off with a few bullets to the back of their head while they're hunkering down behind cover, which was quite fun, and you can also hover mid-air for a few seconds to gain altitude on enemies. I must admit from the previews I thought it looked like a gimmick, but the extra mobility it gives you is a very welcome addition.

Combat itself... it's ok. It may get better. You can't very easily issue orders to team-mates - this could just be me, as combat is generally so fast and frantic with no way to pause and issue commands like you could in previous games. But I also can't see ways to order them to use their powers, to set up combos or take down particular enemies. It could be something that gets introduced a bit later, though - as I said, I'm still relatively early in.

I like the premise. I think people who've been attacking it for the way the new world looks or the new enemies are nit-picking really, both feel pretty alien. Honestly, they're fine.

So, yeah. Looking forward to playing more tomorrow actually.
My face is tired.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action