Mass Effect 4 - Andromeda [PC, PS4, XBone]

Shoot the shit.
Mantis
Admin

Re: Mass Effect 4 - Andromeda [PC, PS4, XBone]

Postby Mantis » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:51 pm

I'd have been fine if they'd never made any sequels after the first game, to be honest. The original was a work of art in world building, atmosphere and writing. Rather than build on the clear flaws in the gameplay they just ripped the whole thing apart and built something new with the second game and, whilst what they produced was a fairly solid title, it just wasn't the same after that. It only got worse with 3, which I didn't even really find that enjoyable.

When I play an RPG, I am primarily doing it for the writing. I don't really let bad gameplay ruin things for me, so the cut and paste random buildings on each planet were forgivable. I think that the Baldur's Gate franchise has some of the worst gameplay imaginable for an RPG and yet I still love them because the writing holds it all together.

The reason I'm slightly more keen to give Andromeda a chance is the possibility that it might recapture something the series lost after the first game; though from what I've gathered so far the writing really isn't all that up to snuff.

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:07 pm

I think it does contain some good writing, some very good actually, in parts. The problem is, it's elongated over several dozens of hours of gameplay. And inbetween there're occasionally moments of lazy writing (and filler) to be honest.

It can't really compete against a shorter, tight, well-written structured game in that sense. It focuses more on creating a general vibe of exploration/progression towards a longterm goal.

There is one narrative aspect it does trump the other ME games in though; it's provided me a real sense of slowly getting to know a team of people over a long voyage, gradually feeling like they're opening themselves up to me bit by bit. The other ME games feel positively rushed in comparison.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:16 pm

katarn wrote:I think it does contain some good writing, some very good actually, in parts. The problem is, it's elongated over several dozens of hours of gameplay. And inbetween there're occasionally moments of lazy writing (and filler) to be honest.

I agree. On both points here. There is some good writing and a lot of it is stretched over too long.

I just cannot understand why they didn't have much more exploration and tighter shorter stories associated with finding new planets etc. The game was a fucking shoe-in for it. Boosting about finding planets that maybe have 1 or 2 shortish stories associated with them, maybe a few pointers and missions that advance the main story, a bit of mini gaming with resource finding etc.

Instead they stuck us on a few planets for upwards of 20 hours or more slogging the shit out it until you were sick of whatever you were plonked on. Im making it out to be worse than it is but the missed opportunity of exploration is fucking criminal to me. That's what Andromeda pre hype was giving me the impression of all along.

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:25 pm

I would have loved a temperate planet, with meadows, forests, rolling hills and stuff. It's such a great engine. I wonder if they were worried about the amount of assets they would have to create for additional biomes? Probably easier to make one larger world map than two smaller different ones.

Once I quit doing the mining (I already have all I need), and used fast travel between forward stations, it made progress feel quite a bit quicker.

Paul

Postby Paul » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:33 am

Mantis wrote:I'd have been fine if they'd never made any sequels after the first game, to be honest.

ME2 is one of my favourite all time titles, but I actually agree with you here. ME1, warts and all, was a fucking masterpiece in my opinion.

[EDIT] I think it's time for a re-play >_>

katarn

Postby katarn » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:00 pm

That's completed. Really enjoyed that and easily up there with the earlier ME games.

Although it lacks focus compared to those due to its sprawling nature, it makes up for it in many other ways.

I hinted on it before, but this is the only proper space opera/adventure game I can think of which really makes you feel you've been on a huge journey with your crew mates, from being unknowns to being developed characters. I like some of them, dislike others, etc. My very last moment with the game was completing the Movie Night quest, which was a lovely bookend.

It's just a shame some of the gameplay mechanics (as already discussed) were undercooked, since I'd *love* for ME:A to be a classic, but you have to say it falls short.

In that sense, the curse of ME games continue. Wonderful parts, weak parts, etc. All of them dropped the ball in some aspect or another, but this was hugely enjoyable.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:09 pm

That's my feel on it too Kat. Harshly judged by click bait on release. It's actually a pretty decent game when taken as a whole. It's just a shame that they didn't seem to get time to bring the weak parts up.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:11 pm

Agree with you both, it's a lot better than the criticism made out (while not perfect), and certainly didn't deserve to be the franchise-killer it's ended up being.
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:10 pm

I miss hanging out with my crew on the Tempest. :(

Paul

Postby Paul » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:21 pm

I'm playing through the first again. Still holds up.

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:48 pm

I think ME1 has the best soundtrack of all of them.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:52 am

You'd think right. :P

It's also the best game in the series too.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:36 am

Medicine Man wrote:You'd think right. :P

It's also the best game in the series too.

Nice to see you don't always have bad opinions mate.

:)
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:40 am

:D

High five!

Previous

Return to FPS & Action