Mafia III [PC, PS4, XBone] - Playboy out of 10

Shoot the shit.
Prey
Admin

Re: Mafia III [PC, PS4, XBone] - Playboy out of 10

Postby Prey » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:48 am

What the game lacks in terms of AAA quality it more than makes up for in terms of story, characters and mission structure. Personally I don't feel the missions or even the side missions are too samey at all as the game seems to bring about interesting takes on dealing with missions time and time again as I progress further in. Now at 30 hours I feel like I'm finally starting to hit my stride with it and can now call in my own henchmen to back me up if I enter a particular mission and either fuck up mid way trying to do it solo or simply come across a scenario where there's just too many enemies to go up against.

I understand I seemed rather carried away when I first started playing this and yeah the simple fact I was playing it at all kinda reinforced that if anything but now I realise that it is actually because I really, really like the game. Yes Mafia III on many levels is almost inexcusably rough around the edges almost coming across like some early access venture when you just happen to spot a scene on the horizon that looks so graphically incomplete to the point of looking downright obscene. Yet you can drive a little way further and enter an area that is just beautifully rendered you want to get out your car and just take it all in on foot. Which I often do. It rains. A lot.

Seeing my map slowly come to life is a far more interesting concept than anything GTA V ever threw my way because the actual involvements I'm dealing with from district to district are not simply all entirely about self gain. There's lives at stake. Characters I genuinely wish to see through the very end safe and sound stood by my side. Even now 30 hours in I've only just started touching on the racial undertones while driving around a report came over the radio of someone who woke up to find a burning cross outside their home and the use of the "n" word is becoming ever more omni present as I head into newer districts. I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed by the amount of rackets on offer in fact and won't deny I have skipped the odd one just to make progress in the main story as I take control of and then hand over power to the likes of Vito, Cassandra and the Burkes.

The biggest change is when I leave a building to take on a new mission or side mission I don't just feel like that's all I'm doing, I do feel like if I pull off said mission then to someone somewhere out there I'm actually making a real difference. I know that sounds somewhat daft perhaps but that's my best take on it. The key aspect being that it's an open world game where I feel the need to do more than just fuck about in it just because I lost all interest in what I'm supposed to actually be doing several hours in. A true rarity for such games.

Much like The Saboteur as I mentioned Mafia III for me is proof that an open world doesn't need to be a soulless one with samey samey missions. It may not be the most vibrant of life and there's often fuck all traffic in certain areas which again gives the game a somewhat incomplete feel but when there is it's wonderfully crafted and about as engaging as any open world game has been to date. Lincoln Clay it has to be said is probably the most likeable and interesting main protagonist I've encountered in a game in a very long time and the moment I took him from being just another black man driving around in a stolen old ass rust bucket in an army jacket to driving around in a shiny customised 1959 Chevrolet Impala in a tailored suit was one of great pleasure for me. For once it didn't feel like it was just entirely cosmetic as it is in GTA instead it was a true defining moment in the game where both myself and my playing of my character felt as though we had truly arrived and made our mark on the world we now inhabited together. This was the start of my rise to power and things would never be the same again.

Also I actually enjoy doing the collectibles as I don't think I've ever been able to enter so many buildings in an open world structure before so it's kinda refreshing to be able to do so - you never know what else you may just find. :wink:

Some choice screenshots from last nights session:

Who the fuck cares if it looks somewhat dated? Not I. The specified era is captured extremely well and I'd much rather have that baked for me than something served graphically tarted up but with little to no character to go along with it.
Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:01 pm

People think this games graphics looks dated? :?

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:15 pm

As is often the case a lot of gamers tend to judge a game purely by its graphical prowess and some have even gone as far as to say Saints Row 2 is better looking which is just taking the piss. Again it can be rough and it does still need some additional TLC but I think its perfectly serviceable as a 2017 game if only in need of another performance patch or two. Little spoilt graphic whores bemoan the fact the game has no texture settings present whereas I think it's just fine as it is with a little anisotropic filtering and proper AA that doesn't blur the game to fuck forced through your graphics control panel as I have done - see below...

If the game is so damn demanding as most seem to believe then why do people want additional Ultra Fucking HD textures splattered all over the show?? Mind boggles.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:02 pm

Graphically I would say it's just uneven, even on a decent setting. Most of the time you'll be playing thinking it looks pretty damn good, then you'll get to an area or time of day (evening and night seem the worst for this) and think wtf just happened to the graphics.
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:21 pm

OK, I am easily pleased, but... for me, picking up the bodies of the newly slaughtered and chucking them in the water, then waiting for the inevitable 'gator to come in and "dispose of the evidence" never gets old. Any time I am fighting in a watery area (fairly often), I frequently tidy up after myself like this :)

I did the riverboat mission last night that featured so heavily in a lot of the pre-release videos. I dithered around on the bank before realising that there was no easy way across to the boat and I had to swim. It really puckered up the old ringpiece when I panned the camera around and realised there was a 'gator hot on my heels. I got to the boat and up the ladder on the side, and as I panned round saw him slip back down below the waterline.

I have my approach nailed down too now - standard loadout being my silenced pistol (the heavier hitting of the two) and MP5. I always try to avoid being spotted or raising any alarms, although I see that there is an MG42-style LMG available as an unlock - that will probably become my tool of choice, always love a good chunter-cannon. In, get into cover, then stealth melee kills or for longer range wet-work a swing out of cover, silenced round to the head, then back into hiding. I have maxed out my pistol ammo and accuracy, so can pull off a headshot with pinpoint accuracy at a decent range.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:34 pm

Yeah pistol to take out the tricky guards at range, then sneaky-stabby was pretty much my playstyle for the entire game.
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:23 pm

Here you go then Dave, some pics of some nice wheels and a pretty spectacular sunset, all settings maxed on super-wide-o-vision. You ask me, ain't a damned thing wrong with the gfx in this one.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:58 pm

Not loading for me Ian man. Anyone else?

And no the graphics are fine - it's an open world game you expect at least some drawbacks when there's zero loading screens as you travel across a detailed and large world but I think for their first game the devs have done a fantastic job on all counts.

Not sure about you guys but I personally drop my controller sensitivity all the way down to 1 just so the cars get that weighty prehistoric feel back I loved so much in Mafia II. It's on 1 in the above video in fact. All that's missing now is a speed limiter.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:00 pm

I really like the sun glare effect on this game. I know a lot of people criticised it for being a bit too strong, but I also saw comments from people who live in New Orleans who say that it's actually pretty accurate because it tends to be very sunny but also rather wet all the time so the roads are always blinding at sunset. I think it really adds to the atmosphere of the game.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:05 pm

Yeah I've read none stop complaining that the worst thing about the game is just how orange everything is and we should all install reshades to counter it. It's lovely. See exhibits B,C and D above.

The wet sun drenched look suits the game 100%.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:36 pm

I commute to work on the M3, and recently we have had a lot of sunny and wet days where sunrise and sunset are dazzling sometimes - the visuals are spot on.

Glad the screenies are loading for you now Dave :)

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:10 pm

In a way it reminds me of Watch Dogs. It had a very nice atmosphere whenever it was dark and rainy. I hated almost everything about that game, but it was still beautiful just to drive around at night time in the rain, especially if you unlocked the top level graphics that were initially hidden away.

You can't beat a bit of artistry in a game. It makes it stand out more above all the other cookie cutter open world crap we're subjected to.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:21 pm

Prey wrote:Not sure about you guys but I personally drop my controller sensitivity all the way down to 1 just so the cars get that weighty prehistoric feel

Keyboard and mouse for me mate, I know that the driving would be better suited to a controller but I have not had any real problems and for the on foot sections plus firing from the car, you can't touch the accuracy of the mouse.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:31 pm

Mantis wrote:In a way it reminds me of Watch Dogs. It had a very nice atmosphere whenever it was dark and rainy. I hated almost everything about that game, but it was still beautiful just to drive around at night time in the rain, especially if you unlocked the top level graphics that were initially hidden away.

You can't beat a bit of artistry in a game. It makes it stand out more above all the other cookie cutter open world crap we're subjected to.

Agreed. There are actually moments playing this when its all rather reminiscent of certain areas from Watch_Dogs ie the motel meeting spot and yeah the game truly shines when the rain is lashing it down with everything from the kick up from under the wheels of a passing car to the rain droplets becoming ever so lovingly transparent when a small section of them pass in front of a street light.

Snowy's ball achingly nice screenshots inspired me to do some of my own, they aren't anywhere near as crisp but they will suffice...

Spot the gator in the final pic. :mrgreen: I had no idea you were even playing this btw Dave. Nice to know a few of us gave it the chance it so well deserved. Any of you dropped bombs on the season pass as I have then or not quite reached that point of liking it just yet?

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:01 am

I agree with the Watch Dogs graphical comparison, indeed as I was lining up the screenies last night I was thinking to myself how funny it was that here is a game which has rainfall which is dynamically represented onscreen, puddles which show the raindrops hitting them etc. This was something that dropped jaws a while back when the first Watch Dogs screenies and videos came to light, but somehow the graphics in Mafia are deemed a bit passe. OK, it doesn't have the graphical fidelity of, say, GTA5, but it is still a pretty enough game and capable of some stunning visuals in the right weather conditions.

Despite the twat protagonist in Watch Dogs, I still enjoyed the title, but yeah I get the reference.

I haven't picked up the season pass and probably won't bother - it is a good game but I rarely go back to games once I finish them.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action