Mafia III [PC, PS4, XBone] - Playboy out of 10

Shoot the shit.
Prey
Admin

Re: Mafia III [PC, PS4, XBone] - Playboy out of 10

Postby Prey » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:44 am

As I was tired when I wrote that last night I neglected to mention just how gripped I am by the actual story and characters. For once in an open world game there feels like there is so much more at stake for those involved than just personal gain and the rather well devised cut scenes have a great way of emphasising this above and beyond what your average open world game normally tends to deliver.

The five hours I have played took place in only one small region of the map as it happens mostly in and around downtown and river row so I've yet to even step foot in any other adjacent area - I may have entered the french ward just once to complete a mission.

Rusty wrote:Most of the time it felt like playing a console game with pretty graphics.

The only thing I can discern you are referring to is the rather awful looking button prompts? Yeah they are kinda horrid as they are just too large but aside from that I don't feel its particularly console centric at all compared to some open world games I could mention.
Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:05 am

I suppose it's mainly down to the over the shoulder, slightly odd control system. The times I can't even get into a door! Maybe the cover system.
i think I just prefer first person games.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:09 pm

At 8 hours played it dawned on me last night just what other specific game I loved this reminds me of the most and no it's not GTA, it's not even Watch_Dogs minus the hacking. It's actually EA's very own The Saboteur.

Really enjoying it I must say even though the last time I played the swirly end of my trench coat completely glitched the fuck out and stretched to around 20ft like a massive tail sticking out of my character completely obscuring my view during a shoot out.

edit: Found an example of it online...

:lol:

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:20 pm

Donovan is one of my favourite characters in any game, ever. Still think about him from time to time, and have gone back and rewatched his end scene a few times on Youtube. Love it! :lol:

Glad you're playing it Prey, and gladder that you're enjoying it. I did too.
My face is tired.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:38 pm

Is it worth £25?
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:23 am

As much as I'm actually enjoying it I have to be honest and say sadly not. £20 maybe tops.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:43 pm

It's a hard one to recommend really, because while I and I'm sure others won't mind the repetitive nature of the gameplay, it would likely turn others off completely.
My face is tired.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:47 pm

Weirdly the repetitive nature of Mad Max put me off but Mafia 3 didn't although I did rush the main quest only and didn't bother with the side quests (note to self, I must go back and retry them)

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:37 pm

I'm really loving some of the additions this series has taken on board that not only work well but tend to take away many of the frustrations away that GTAV in particular was plagued with.

First of all the mobile money collector is a god send as I lost count of just how much money I would often lose traversing the world of GTAV only to lose stacks of cash just because of some silly unavoidable moment happening. Having a mobile cash collector on hold at all times that can be by your side within moments of being summoned means not only am I racking up the cash I feel a more substantial sense of progression knowing I won't lose it if I get hit by a speeding truck trying to cross the road.

Likewise the mobile weapons cache is also a great addition as all too often I'm running out of ammo more or less directly after a shoot out (playing on Hard) and although I can pick up the enemies weapons I much prefer to stick with what I have and nab some more molies etc while I'm at it replenishing. It may be a simple spawning operation but anything that cuts down on the frustration factors when playing gets a I fucking appreciate that stamp from Prey.

Ok so the overall development budget may only be half or even less of what was thrown into GTAV but that's not to say that the added gameplay aspects Mafia III has birthed should in any form remain overlooked.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:48 pm

The on-demand cars as well. You can steal cars if you like, but why would you when you can order a race car or 4x4 to be with you in 5 seconds' time?

The weapons guy... there was one time, about to go to a mission, that I called for him, then climbed in my car as he sped away, transaction completed. By coincidence we were both going in the same direction, and being in a race car overtook him. Fucker then ran me off the road :lol:

Another time, ordered a car near, I think, the wharf area. The delivery guy speeds towards me, hits a bollard, flies into the air and brings the car to a rest on its roof right in front of me. Then he climbs out and after spitting out a "there you are, pal", walks off like a boss. :lol:
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:54 pm

I've noticed similar odd behaviour after the weapons van has concluded its business with you. The instant you are done it just tends to bomb off in any direction once it just steam rolled through traffic making crazy movements then proceeded to jam itself against a wall still spinning its wheels. I often think rather than gunning enemies down myself I should perhaps just call the weapons van instead and let it do its thing. :lol:

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:35 pm

Hey Sly!

How on earth do I gain access to Big Ricks custom auto shop?? There's two closed gates on either side of it I can't get through with my car and I've been sat outsidee listening to the radio all night in hope it would open in the morning. :lol:

I'm all out of love...I can't walk out...cause I think I love ya too much babydodoodothankyouverymuch!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:47 pm

Not sure I can help mate, I think they added the auto customisation in a recent patch, but that was after I'd already completed it.
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:27 pm

Am in the same boat - although I am still sat mid-game, I put it down and haven't picked it back up again (yet, although I will).

I shouldn't worry about it overmuch though, according to the wiki:
Big Rick's Custom Auto is a New Bordeaux business with nine locations across the city and Bayou Fantom. They sell custom vehicle upgrades that Lincoln can add to his fleet of vehicles.

Upgrades applied through Big Rick's are purely cosmetic and offer no performance boost to the vehicles. Performance upgrades must still be unlocked during gameplay through favors or purchased through the Arms Dealer once they become available.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:10 am

Played a fair bit more of this over the weekend.

Dave, I can solve your conundrum for you if you haven't already (although given it was a couple of weeks back you probably have) - the car you are in is not one of your collection, i.e. one of the cars you can order to have delivered to you by the Irish guy. You can only upgrade those.

The upgrades are only really worth it if you are swimming in cash - they just bolt on a custom appearance for the car, although it is persistent so will be in place when you next order that particular car, and it is very easy to blow 15-25k on upgrading them. I have upgraded the one that looks like the Lamborghini Miura (top left in the Exotics menu) which now comes in a nice black with a thin stripe of the Italian flag colours running from bonnet to boot, which is my go-to car despite being virtually undriveable in the wet, just because I always loved the Miura.

Enjoying it a lot still too - am currently on a really tough mission to cap a guy in a warren of tunnels under a jazz club. The first attempt resulted in the police being called which trebled the number of enemies, and despite a valiant fight I was always going to lose. Second and third attempts I got in undetected, which is quite tough as you have a guard at the top of the stairs and in the bar, which counts as a public place and can easily result in civilians calling the police when they see you blow his head off. Both times though I have managed to spook a sentry and have him reach the phone, which again has been my undoing. I was really close on the final try though, so will see if I can't get through it undetected next try!

On the attempt where the cops were called, I had a Total Recall moment. The gunfire spooked the civilians who were in the club and tunnels which resulted in a stampede up the staircase that I was at the top of, with several goons downstairs. They opened up at me and absolutely massacred the civvies, whose stampede continued. I then realised that the goons were coming up the stairs too, so opened up with my MP5, killing more civvies in doing so. It was an absolute bloodbath and really quite grim and disturbing.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action