Mafia III [PC, PS4, XBone] - Playboy out of 10

Shoot the shit.
Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Mafia III [PC, PS4, XBone] - Playboy out of 10

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:57 am

Yes, just seen that when I opened Steam just now. 6gb?!

You going to give it another try, Prey, see if this patch has fixed it for you?
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:13 am

It doesn't fix it Sly bud. Everyone on Steam blowing up about it once more but it was to be expected I think.

Think it's safe to say now that 2K simply sees my machine and everyone elses as simply being not meeting the so called minimum specs desired to run the game. End of. Therefore I highly doubt now I will ever get to play it until I upgrade my machine which btw I have no intention of doing as I can play more or less anything I want besides at more than desirable frames and settings.

Just another Just Cause 3 for me now. Meh.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:14 am

Man that sucks. Take it you didn't buy through Steam and hence can't get a refund on it?
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:20 am

I was silly enough to buy it through GMG mate BUT ONLY BECAUSE I and others like me had no idea that SSE 4.1 was not supported as there was no indication of it given prior to release whatsoever.

First up, the PC you need minimum, according to 2K:

Intel CPU: I5-2500K
AMD CPU: AMD FX-8120
RAM: 6GB
AMD GPU: Radeon HD7870
Nvidia GPU: GeForce GTX 660
Video Memory: 2GB
HD: 50GB (free space)

My machine:

AMD CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 B50
RAM: 8GB
Nvidia GPU: GeForce GTX 960
Video Memory: 4GB
HD: 1TB (500GB Free)

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:28 am

Pretty poor stuff by the devs/publisher. :(
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:39 am

There's a whole debate going on now in that same Steam discussion thread that just because you don't meet the minimum specs should not result in you not being able to start the game whatsoever and it's down to the consumer to decide if they wish to take the risk.

I half agree and half don't as any game you have purchased legitimately with the right amount of tweaking can and rightly should be made playable even below minimum specs (see low spec gamers youtube channel) but then we all do have to move on and keep up with technical advances at some point too if we want more out of our games and gaming hobby in general.

It doesn't negate the fact 2K should have made it clear that anyone buying the game below the minimum specs would not be able to even start the game. That was something that should have been made clear to anyone purchasing the game outright although some will no doubt disagree.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:52 am

Playing Devil's advocate I would say that your CPU is two years older than the minimum spec (according to the dates I found for release of each CPU) :(

That and SSE4.1 support came in 2007/2008 (which oddly was 2 years before your CPU was released) means that they gave some warning, although failed to make clear how big an impact it would have :/
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:52 am

I think you have to make a cut off somewhere, you can't expect games to run on all machines. I understand that it sucks if your PC falls below the minimum spec, but expecting the game to work when the publisher has clearly said this is what you need to run the game at a minimum is expecting a bit too much.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:09 am

edit: Prey is full of shit.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:16 am

That's not what minimum specs mean. Minimum specs are saying "You need at least this to play the game, if you don't meet these requirements the game may not run".

You're talking about recommended specs, below which the game may run like a dog except with minimal settings/tweaking but otherwise it will work.

As to the question of should they fix it? Of course, if it's as easy as you say, but that has no relevancy on the above.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:46 am

Lots of noise currently in the long ass thread concerning the game not running on Phenom II CPU's...

Game now works on older CPU's :)

The game received a 4.5GB update with free new cars and races added and for many it seems 2K finally listened and sorted out the CPU issue that has plagued many owners for over two months since it first released reporting that the game now boots up for them. I refuse to get my hopes up right now but will report back any positive findings once the game is re-downloaded this evening.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:50 am

It's a decent game (the action is good, but it is repetitive, personally I enjoyed it throughout but your mileage may vary) with a good story and one or two truly memorable characters. It's worth playing through imo assuming you can get it to run.

Would personally recommend against obsessively chasing the collectibles unless they're on your route. There are hundreds of them, and they're pretty pointless.
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:08 pm

Spoiler: show

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:41 am

Nobody cares I finally got to play this? Well fine!!! -_-

Spent a good 5 hours solid on this tonight and it's almost everything my expectations of it were hoping for. Solid combat. Solid stealth mechanics. A driving model that is one of the best I think I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing (when your car goes over a dip and the suspension and damaged parts all have proper physics!) and most of all the actual game world is a delight to explore. The block to block world design is superbly realised and for once there's a true sense of well thought out structural differences as you make your way across town and all of it perfectly captures the time and place you expect.

Dressed up as an actual gangster really has me in the mood for it too even though yes the actual era is rather different to that of both Mafia 1 and Mafia II there's little to stop you playing it as a true successor when you are running around shooting up joints and busting heads around the city, I'm very much still adjusting to just how brutal many of the take downs are. Erk.

The wet weather is easily some of the most impressive I've experienced in a game since the first Watch_Dogs and the way it lingers on even after the rain has stopped cascading down is an extremely nice touch I feel.

I'm also enjoying coming across the random events that tend to crop up around the city many of which entice you with some form of commotion occurring nearby which draws you near to see just what the hell is going on. So yeah after waiting so long to actually get around to playing it I doubt I could be any happier with it as it has actually ended up exceeding my expectations on many levels, something I genuinely was not expecting. I should also mention the fact the game features the classic mafia bonnet cam and a huge fov slider from as low as just 40 to 90 and above. Why can't all open world games have this? It's a god send especially when taking screenshots.

I guess as there was so little discussion on the game from those who could actually play it my own expectations were set rather low so it has been a fantastic surprise to find Mafia III delivering what I wanted so much and in such abundance that I'm already now planning on buying the games Season Pass just for the three additional missions 2K are set to bring to it next year. Hopefully more of the map that is there but not playable will open up. Oh and I doubt I will ever get tired of that leaping over animation my character does while wearing said trenchcoat, holy shit the animations are nice.

The game uses sound very well too I should add before I forget and it's funny to walk past say a random motel room only to hear bed springs going from inside a room. :lol: :lol: Considering it's the Devs first game I honestly think they have done a fantastic job, open world games are tricky beasts but early impressins are they may well have drafted one of my favourites.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:04 am

I get that you're not feeling it. Just give it a chance :)

I got to the point where I wanted to finish the story more than do the side missions which reduced the playtime and the ending choices kind of stopped me carrying on. i can't be bothered to restart.
Most of the time it felt like playing a console game with pretty graphics. That's not to say I enjoyed it. The story itself is one of the best ones I've ever played.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action