GTA IV PC - Three Years on

Shoot the shit.
Prey
Admin

Re: GTA IV PC - Three Years on

Postby Prey » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:34 am

Edwin wrote:Runs like shit on my old dual core PC, still shit on my quad core that also has twice the amount of ram and a graphics card that is twice as powerful.

Fuck it.

Now this I don't get see Edders. I jumped from a dual core to a quad core with a newer graphics card and over twice the ram I had and the difference has been night and day. All I've done to help it out is add the following commands to a newly created text file in the main GTA IV folder...

-memrestrict 1342177280
-fullspecaudio
-forcehighqualitymirrors
-notimefix
-novblank
-noprecache
-norestrictions
-noswapdelay
-framelimit 60
-renderquality 4
-shadowdensity 1
-viewdistance 5
-detailquality 50
-shadowquality 2
-reflectionquality 2
-reflectionresolution 2048
-shadowresolution 2048
-waterquality 2
-waterreflectionquality 4
/high

Not sure which is doing what exactly but I do know I hardly ever dip below say 40fps on average most of the time and can sometimes hit as high as 80-90fps even. And that's with detail at 50% and traffic at a whopping 100%. I just leave the distance at a lowly 10% and the detail more than makes up for whatever that lacks. Not sure why your machine is struggling still at all.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:53 am

Didn't this have GfWL as well as social club tacked on? That was bollocks as well. The multiplayer didn't work for me, which was particularly annoying when I had to play nearly an hour of the game in singleplayer just to get the phone. Plus you had to completely load up the singleplayer just to get into the multiplayer, which was some stupidly long loading screens.

As much as they make good games, on the technical side Rockstar could do with improvement.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:36 am

Prey wrote:But the more I walk around the world of Liberty City the more I love to take it all in. Zooming round in flash cars isn't always the best way to do that so hitting the bricks and just allowing the scale and amount of stuff going on around you to sink in works much better I think. I remember getting the same feeling just walking around in Mafia II but GTA IV just amplifies it ten fold. And then my fucking phone goes off and I get hit by a taxi crossing the road.

Why not take a cab somewhere then Dave, have them change the radio to Independence FM so you get your own tunes, and then just watch the world go by as your driver gets you where you want to go. I have enjoyed that a few times, and found it oddly cathartic :)

Has anyone ever found the serial killer optional missions (the little blue man icons that appear sometimes)? I only ever managed to find them once (hint for the completionist, the murders are happening in 'central park' or the LC equivalent late at night).

Also, I never really had any problems running the game. I get much better results from my rebuilt rig, but it always worked just fine for me.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:45 am

Yeah, I did a few of the blue man icon things, I didn't realise it was a story arc, though. It seemed a bit random, someone giving you a few dollars for no reason, someone else asking for a lift somewhere. I did them whenever I found them, but it didn't seem to build to anything, I just assumed they were random encounters to add a little bit of interest to just driving round.

Game always worked fine for me too - mind you I bought it a couple of years after release, for £5 in a Steam sale. Probably my most successful Steam sale purchase, in terms of time I ploughed into it.
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:53 am

There are quite a few, and each has a story arc.

Serial Killer
Man who gives you money, turns into a crackhead
Rapper trying to kickstart his career
Husband who thinks his wife is cheating
Fashion obsessed woman

Those are the ones I can remember - there may be others.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 am

Ah, I get it.

Deffo at least started the crackhead one, and I think the wife cheating one as well. Never the serial killer one, though.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:12 pm

Only ever played this on the 360 and liked it only marginally more than San Andreas which remains my least favourite GTA game. I'm hoping that they finally fix the combat for the fifth game and return the handling to the more arcadey feel of previous versions. If they don't then I may steer clear.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:35 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:Only ever played this on the 360 and liked it only marginally more than San Andreas which remains my least favourite GTA game. I'm hoping that they finally fix the combat for the fifth game and don't return the handling to the more arcadey feel of previous versions. If they don't then I may steer clear.

Fixed

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:15 pm

One thing that is severely bugging me with this game so far are the damn checkpoints. For instance I'd just spent a certain amount of time
Spoiler: show
rescuing Roman from his captors at the warehouse
which means a fair bit of shooting before you do.

And as I leave in a truck I'm making my way across some land and for no reason the truck suddenly explodes. Er wha? Cue me stuck outside a hospital and the option to retry the mission all over again.
Spoiler: show
I load the game up and I'm plonked back outside the warehouse with the entire firefight to go through all over again and absolutely no idea what even just killed me or why. All I had to do was drive us back somewhere, right? So what's with the sudden exploding truck shit?

For all I know I could redo it all again only for the same exact thing to occur all over again. I don't mind dying. I don't even mind having to redo some if not most of the mission again but when I die inexplicably like a bolt out of the blue - that pisses me right off. And it happens so often in this game at times it isn't even funny.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:31 pm

My memory is a bit hazy due to really disliking the missions. But doesn't an attack chopper chase you when you leave the warehouse on that particular mission?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:21 pm

You probably don't need to spoiler tag a three-year-old game that pretty much everyone has played by now...
My face is tired.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:01 pm

The checkpointing is better in Gay Tony from what I remember. Not that that helps your situation or anything.

If I recall correctly the secret with the vanilla version is to not die during a mission. That fixed the problem for me.

Boomshaka

Postby Boomshaka » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:00 am

It feels like a bit of revisionist history is going on nowerdays when I hear folk going on about how shit gta4 was. I along with most people in this thread all had huge amounts of fun running about together in multiplayer when the xbox version was initially released. Who can forget racing along the highways in a fully kitted out van with 6 players all hanging out the windows and doors and shooting down any cop who gave chase.

The glorious days of the Full Metal Bangbus ^_^

Also I like gta the most when its being serious. Once gang bangers get hold of tanks and rpgs I tend to lose interest.

Chasing drug dealers down alley ways with a shotgun, you felt like Omar :D
Will debase self for credits.

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:24 am

It really was a great game, normally for shooting I'll look to get it over and done with as quickly as possible, but in GTA4 I actually liked taking my time. I think it was the Euphoria tech that made it possible. Shooting enemies had an immediate effect, you could calmly walk fowards, wait for just the right moment, shoot, then watching them tumble out of cover and casually pump them full of lead before moving on.

Still to finish Ballad. Been long enough since I played it that it'll be nice and fresh in my mind now.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:18 am

Did I play with you Boomy? I have a memory of riding a load of bikes over a bridge and me shooting someone's front wheel out causing whoever it was to fly into the air.

Hospital last stands?
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action