GTA IV PC - Three Years on

Shoot the shit.
Prey
Admin

GTA IV PC - Three Years on

Postby Prey » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:14 pm

So it's been just over three long years since GTA IV finally made its way from console land to PC land and my own personal history with it is that I've never been happy with the games performance, until now that is. Most tend to see GTA IV as an example of how not to port a console game and over those long three years I was always inclined to agree with that sentiment. Yet others with PC's so powerful they could take over the world absolutely adore the game and the multitude of mods they have poured into it over that time period. Some that make the game look so good most of us are highly doubtful GTA V will even hold a candle next to GTA IV in full on modded out mode. I mean seriously some of the stuff people are coming up with for GTA IV verge on the insane, here's just one random example...

That's already up there visually with Watch Dogs in my humble opinion. What do you guys think?

Having never played the game on console myself the only experience I have of it in any form is that of its PC incarnation and it's only within the last week even that I've actually really begun pouring a serious amount of time into it. I mean I spent a good hour last night just walking the streets as Nico as rain poured down and day turned to night and I never once became bored somehow, there's just that much to take in as cars and people go about their business and you spot little touches that the NPC's are doing as you stroll by. I actually found the game to stunningly beautiful at times believe it or not also very relaxing. :oops:

That is also without any mods whatsoever and only the use of certain commandline.txt additions and man am I impressed with it even in vanilla form. I just wish it hadn't taken me three years of constant trying. raging and uninstalling to get to the point where I could at last enjoy it. So many new patches just completely fucked the game up for me completely I pretty much gave up on it. Thankfully the game runs just as I wanted now. Amen.

Care to share your own experiences with the game? Good or bad.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Nethlyn

Re: GTA IV PC - Three Years on

Postby Nethlyn » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:27 pm

I think "ahead of its time" is the best way to describe GTA IV on PC, it was one of the first games to really demand quad core at a time when they were still a lot dearer than dual. When you include the bugs and hassle at launch, that's why I didn't play all that much of it, not even with the Steam deal for the whole lot being dropped down to a fiver within the past two Christmases.

Whenever I do my upgrade I'll skip VC and San An and just jump into this one now that current hardware can run it so well, plus there's the episodes to do after the main game.

katarn

Postby katarn » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:35 pm

I loved Vice City but never played IV - it's one of the very few games on PC in recent years that really needed a beast to play smoothly. My old rig would struggle with it.

If I do upgrade later this year it's definitely a game I'll try out.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:20 pm

Graphics can go suck a minty one when gameplay is as shit as GTA4s tbh. Promises so much, delivers such tedium.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:32 pm

The problem with GTA IV as it stands today is that the combat especially absolutely blows when compared to that of say Max Payne 3 which feels refined and exact by comparison. The way the character controls in GTA IV is also pretty suspect and feels underdeveloped for the most part but it's still manageable all the same. Once I climb into a car even with the rather odd offset camera mode I'm quite happy just cruising my way around the city to my own imported tunes. Don't get me started on how helicopters handle though unless that's just me being completely shit. :lol:

Gameplay wise I actually don't spend all that much time doing mission to mission stuff that advances the story and tend to do a Just Cause 2 where I just mess about and cause as much chaos as possible then challenge myself to get out of it. The ones I have done I haven't minded that much tbh.

Pretty easy though if you have the phone cheats firmly in place. -_-

In all honesty this thread and what inspired it merely comes from a new found appreciation that I can at long fucking last run the game as I always wanted so what comes with that is a little rose tinted around the edges as I've not really played the game much at all in all the time I've owned it thanks to its frankly shitty performance. The game has flaws sure but right now they aren't really my main concern.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:47 pm

You will learn to dread the sound of your mobile ringing.
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:45 pm

I turned off the story mode friend calls and just bombed around doing mini games most of the time. The story, characters and missions in GTAIV are all absolutely dreadful. Didn't think much of the clunky driving and shooting either.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:52 pm

Well I have never made any bones about it, I utterly fucking LOVE GTAIV.

The preceding ones just don't hold a candle to it in any way. I love the greater realism to the handling, the (often gruesome) ragdoll physics, the sheer physicality of the game. Sure the gunplay could have been tweaked, there are areas for improvement, but the city is so alive and vibrant. I have sunk countless hours into this, and a mate and I often set up a server in MP purely to hoon around, see how high we can get the wanted level and how long we can survive, taking each other on insane blasts across Liberty City while we do so.

I can't wait for GTAV.

The one thing I have never sorted is getting mods working. They have always made the game massively unstable and prone to frequent crashes - a shame when they can look like Dave's link!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:29 pm

GTA IV is some strange hybrid of technical marvel and technical fucking disaster on PC. I mean it took no less than seven patches just to get the game working as they promised it would out of the box. Count 'em...seven! And even then most people have to mess around with it just to get it working under Windows 7 which is nothing short of ridiculous considering its mass popularity with gamers.

But the more I walk around the world of Liberty City the more I love to take it all in. Zooming round in flash cars isn't always the best way to do that so hitting the bricks and just allowing the scale and amount of stuff going on around you to sink in works much better I think. I remember getting the same feeling just walking around in Mafia II but GTA IV just amplifies it ten fold. And then my fucking phone goes off and I get hit by a taxi crossing the road.

NG

Postby NG » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:08 pm

Does this mod have any effect on internal environments or is it just outdoor environments only?

Eny

Postby Eny » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:21 pm

Make sure you've got a good GFX, the .dll it modifies has been known to cook a few cards to the high heavens.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Couldnt get this to work right on my PC so i gave up on it. gave up on it annoyed.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:41 pm

Runs like shit on my old dual core PC, still shit on my quad core that also has twice the amount of ram and a graphics card that is twice as powerful.

Fuck it.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Eny

Postby Eny » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:44 pm

Turn off video capture and it will run much better, remarkably so in fact.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:51 pm

I'm glad I didn't buy it at launch as it was basically broken. Wasn't it the first game Steam actually offered a refund for? There's a difference between being a good looking hungry game and being an unoptimised piece of shit.

Having said that, when it was patched it ran rather well, and was head and shoulders above the PS3 version that I'd played first.

Next

Return to FPS & Action