Rainbow Six: Siege [PC, PS4, XBone] - Previously Patroits

Shoot the shit.
Subway Diet

Re: Rainbow Six: Siege [PC, PS4, XBone] - Previously Patroit

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:11 pm

Medicine Man wrote:Have trailer with Stringer Bell...

Siege the Day! I get it. Like seize the day only stoopid.

Open beta next weekend, November 25 through November 29.

Is that Idris Elba?

Also, remember when Rainbow Six what about using real world counter terrorist tactics? That shit is straight up Matrix! :lol:

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:26 am

My favourite bit was the part with the sledgehammer. :lol: Tactical.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:21 pm

Had a punt of the beta.
Goodness me, so very dull. It feels like there's a good game here, and some of the features are pretty cool. But overall there's just too many little annoyances that hold me back from digging any deeper into it.

Do I feel like elaborating on those issues? Nope.

And does it feel like a Rainbow Six game? Pfffft...

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:41 am

I played the beta yesterday with a mate, strictly terrorist hunt as adversarial shooters leave me cold.

We had a pretty good time with it actually - I went in fully expecting to go 'Meh' and uninstall but it didn't happen.

One thing I will say is that it is exceptionally hard. The AI tangos work pretty well, not being lured into the open like the old days of Raven Shield, and provide quite a bit of challenge. Somewhat annoying are the Suicide Bomber types, who are armoured to the eyeballs and run at you - headshots needed to drop them, sometimes more than one. Also on Terrorist Hunt of course there are a lot more tangos than I expect you see in the adversarial matches.

With just the two of us playing, we have yet to beat a map. We have cleared areas, which is encouraging, but between the number of enemies, nasty booby traps and a bit of personal stupidity we have not yet won a match.

The destructability of environments is decently done, but not as game-changing as the videos would have had you believe.

Anyhow, important factor is that I have stepped forward as the PW Canary for this one - £20 on CD Keys, my mate and I decided that at that price it was worth a punt. Will let you know how we get on, although there will be no information forthcoming about any element bar co-op. Watch this space.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:28 am

The twist is that CO-OP makes any game better. My lonely arse tried playing it in Lone Wolf and came away unimpressed.

It was on top of that I was having issues with things like how the guns felt and how easily readable the environment was. These things probably improve as you level up and unlock new gear, but that's hard to do on your own.

As I said, there's a good game in there, I'm just not able to get it out.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:46 am

Funnily enough Subby your experience directly mirrors my mate's experience. Lone Wolf with the starter loadout of unsilenced unscoped weapons of low damage, coupled with charging armour-clad suicide bombers does not make for a fun game - we had both found this to be the case.

Within the space of 5 minutes playing co-op together last night, he was enthusing about what a difference it makes having another person providing overwatch.

Don't get me wrong it is still extremely hard, the increased ability of the AI makes them very challenging. They get to mimic some of the abilities of the assaulting teams which is a bit crap - for example, when you choose to defuse a bomb, you need to prepare for an all-out assault as the enemy attempt to stop the defusing from completing successfully. When we first did this, we set up to provide cover at the two entrances to the room, only to have the tangos rappel in through the windows. That makes defusing the bomb very dangerous, you almost need to clear the building first - a shame as defending while the defusing kit counts down would make for a really exciting phase to those maps.

The rappelling around on buildings is very nicely done, and really handy.

It is a shame that games all now follow the stupid levelling and unlock system started by COD, especially ones like these. I want to be able to select a tactical loadout that is best suited to the mission. Fine if they do it for adversarial, but for co-op or especially Lone Wolf it makes no sense - you have virtually zero chance of completing a Lone Wolf scenario with the base loadout.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:27 am

I agree. As I keep saying, there's a lot to like in this game. It's just the heavy focus on multiplayer that does it in. I'd bet that the player base on PC will be tiny once the people who got it free with a graphics card move on after a week.

What did me in was the restriction on "hero" characters for terrorist hunt. It's bad enough that you can't kit yourself out as you'd like, but they then go and force you only to use "attackers". So that's abilities like fortifying positions and using things like the heartbeat sensor out the window. It's like, FFS, the game feels like someone injected a potentially cool tactical shooter with e-sports and MOBA juice.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:18 am

The feel seems really bad to me both moving and aiming/shooting. I think its to stop people being crack shots and moving more tactically but it just doesnt feel good.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:02 am

Hmmmm.

Some very wonky decisions here.

Co-op Terrorist Hunt missions all have objectives, the most common seeming to be ‘Defuse the Bomb’. At two points within the map are bombs which you need to defuse – one player is spawned with the defusing kit – a suitcase that gets set up by the bomb. When you start the defusing process, it triggers a massive attack from the terrorists. The infinite number of terrorists. That don’t scale to the number of players. My mate and I have managed to hold off one assault for the 45 seconds needed for the bomb to defuse, but always take too much damage to survive the second defusal.

I mean, what kind of pecker makes a tactical shooter and adds in respawns? It makes a total mockery of tactical shootery! Move in, carefully clear the top floor, set the bomb defuser, then have tangos respawn into the area you thought you had cleared, all so you can have an ‘exciting shootout’ while the counter ticks down. Utter damned ballhang.

Also you are railroaded into what kind of map and mission you are getting by the system, until you reach level 5. Once you reach level 5 you can apparently select yoru maps and mission types, but if you do that you don’t earn any Ubi fun-bucks to buy your upgrades with.

Honestly it feels like the Ubi fun-police have been in and made every possible nonsensical decision possible.
- Not everyone wants to play adversarial? Tough shit.
- Some players don’t want to use online matchmaking to get 5 players? Tough shit.
- Some players actually like to employ tactics and don’t want respawns? Tough shit.
- Some players like to select their own maps and mission types? Go for it, once you level enough, but you won’t be able to unlock anything as a result.

I mean, what does it bloody matter? It is a game – let the players play it as they want to you wankturds!

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:06 am

It'll be, and this is just an explanation not a defence :P, because they don't want people "farming" terrorist hunt to get easy unlocks for adversarial...
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:13 am

Also: Massive, vision obscuring hot-pink blood splatters.
What!? After a shoot out, the place looks like a furby abattoir.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:41 am

Quietman wrote:It'll be, and this is just an explanation not a defence :P, because they don't want people "farming" terrorist hunt to get easy unlocks for adversarial...

But what the hell does it matter? You can work on unlocking things in whatever order you like, and earning twatbucks is just the mechanism to do so, why is it even vaguely relevant how people do it - they are playing the damned game aren't they?

Such a pointlessly obtuse mechanism.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:48 am

BECAUSE BALANCING SNOWY!

Or some bollocks.

Subway Diet wrote:Also: Massive, vision obscuring hot-pink blood splatters.

Did you buy the German version and they're actually all paintball guns?
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:39 pm

Quietman wrote:
Subway Diet wrote:Also: Massive, vision obscuring hot-pink blood splatters.

Did you buy the German version and they're actually all paintball guns?

And that's not the most absurd I've seen it. It also doesn't show the massive, overly bright opaque clouds of blood that puff out.

Thankfully I've not actually bought the game. I'm just unpacking my thoughts on the open beta and remembering new things that bugged me. :o

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:59 pm

The blood clouds are indeed very silly, although also a handy way of telling when you have put down the (bullet sponge) tangos!

There is a good game in here, but in the typical Ubi style they have fucked it beyond all recognition.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action