Dishonored 2 (PC/X1/PS4)

Shoot the shit.
Jez

Re: Dishonored 2 (PC/X1/PS4)

Postby Jez » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:44 pm

Played first 5 mins on very high. No problems at all so far.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:06 pm

Well that's enough for me, game on!
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:30 pm

Had no issues with performance myself so far. Mouse seems a bit floaty, but other than that no issues.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:03 pm

Stuff like that is usually sorted by turning off mouse acceleration and/or v-sync, I think
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:26 pm

I've noticed som3 slight slow down here and there. It's only very slight and seems to happen when loading in a new area. It's that slight I'm not convinced it's there and it's because I'm looking for it. The stealth is tough in this playing on hard doesn't take much at all for them to spot me. I'm clumsy at stealth though especially when I have time pressure on my gaming time :)

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:35 am

So far I have to say I am seriously underwhelmed. Mechanically it feels very, very similar to the first game and at the same time somehow not as fun to play. On top of that I don't think the artstyle is as strong as it was in the original game, it seems to be lacking something right now. I've only played the first proper mission so far so I'm willing to put off a final judgement until I've played a bit more, but it needs to improve.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:11 pm

Reviews universally seemed to suggest that it's a big improvement on the first so I'd be disappointed if that wasn't the case. I'm only on the Dunwall starting area though. One thing that's annoyed me is that they've used the same music as the first.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:19 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:So far I have to say I am seriously underwhelmed. Mechanically it feels very, very similar to the first game and at the same time somehow not as fun to play. On top of that I don't think the artstyle is as strong as it was in the original game, it seems to be lacking something right now. I've only played the first proper mission so far so I'm willing to put off a final judgement until I've played a bit more, but it needs to improve.

Funnily enough I am in the opposite place. While I enjoyed the first one, I didn't like it nearly as much as most on here, mainly because the ability to hide was so poorly implemented making a stealthy approach exceptionally difficult. This one is much better from that perspective, while still maintaining the feel of the first.

Art-wise, I can't say I have noticed much - the only thing that has stood out to me is that everyone has fucking massive hands :)

Three missions down now, and really enjoying it. Also mightily looking forward to a lethal playthrough with Corvo once I finish the stealth approach.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:01 am

That's interesting what you say about stealth because I've always felt that Dishonored was quite poor at stealth. You can always get by, but when you compare it to something like Thief it always felt slightly lacking and I find the same to be true here. Any game that claims to be a stealth game and then doesn't let you knockout guards when they come round corners has failed. I think the awareness indicator fills up too fast and there are certain skills you need to take if you want to have a chance of not having to kill people in most areas.

I also don't like the fact that you can't mark people so you have to get the skill that lets you see through walls and also saps your adrenaline. This could just be me used to a 'modern crutch' but I think being able to mark people makes a stealth game much more enjoyable rather than having to rely on the sound of footsteps which is pretty imprecise.

All in all I am finding it harder to go the stealth route than I remember from the first game. So far it has been very much a case of try to sneak, get found, quick-load.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:32 am

In the first game, I found stealth almost impossible as a mechanic. I recall the first mission in the first game, sneaking out through a sewer. I had warped up onto a piece of piping, and was crouched atop the piping in pitch darkness, but the guards spotted me almost instantly.

In this game, crouching behind objects allows you to remain undetected for the most part. It can be a little irritating to have the guards instantly know when you have been detected by one of them (especially when you have taken them out the second they become aware of you) but I can live with that.

Loving some of the abilities as the lassie - using Domino to link up and then knock out, shadow creeping around - all good fun.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:41 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:That's interesting what you say about stealth because I've always felt that Dishonored was quite poor at stealth. You can always get by, but when you compare it to something like Thief it always felt slightly lacking and I find the same to be true here. Any game that claims to be a stealth game and then doesn't let you knockout guards when they come round corners has failed. I think the awareness indicator fills up too fast and there are certain skills you need to take if you want to have a chance of not having to kill people in most areas.

I also don't like the fact that you can't mark people so you have to get the skill that lets you see through walls and also saps your adrenaline. This could just be me used to a 'modern crutch' but I think being able to mark people makes a stealth game much more enjoyable rather than having to rely on the sound of footsteps which is pretty imprecise.

All in all I am finding it harder to go the stealth route than I remember from the first game. So far it has been very much a case of try to sneak, get found, quick-load.

Well I managed to ghost all but one level in the first. Annoyingly I couldn't manage all of them, despite several goes. I will give this a right good go when I get it.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:38 pm

Definitely noticing more slow down since I've moved to more populated large areas. Not unplayable by any means but it's a bit irritating.

Sadly I'm leaning towards what Dj said about the game being underwhelming. It plays and is presented in a very very similar way to the first one and feels a bit like a expansion if I'm honest. I'm still hopeful that it's just me having not played a lot yet. I've done 4 hours feeling my way round the first major hub and mission. Seen lots of instances where the npcs get stuck in the geometry also. Dunno jury still out. I am enjoying it but so far there's little here that goes beyond the original in many ways.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:32 pm

I hear good things about the Clockwork Mansion, which I am about to start. So I'll give that a shot tonight and see how I feel after it, if it is still the same I might just stop playing as there is nothing pulling me through the game as the story is bland and formulaic and right now I just don't care enough about anyone.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:54 pm

Clockwork Mansion done and as a level it was well designed and fun to play, but spoilt by having to fight against the mechanics in order to try and be stealthy. I apparently killed 7 people, which must mean across the whole mission, so in the streets before going inside as well and that counts as an assault which feels unfair to me.

Prey
Admin

Re: Dishonored 2 - 93% PC GAMER

Postby Prey » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:25 am

A staggering 93% score from PC GAMER chaps...

You can trace Dishonored 2's lineage back to Looking Glass and Ion Storm, and the design philosophies of games like Thief and Deus Ex. It's not just that this is a first-person game that lets you choose between sneaking or combat; between lethality or pacifism. The legacy of these early-2000s classics is of worlds that follow consistent rules, allowing you to plan your actions safe in the knowledge that things will either work as they should, or go hilariously wrong for reasons that, in hindsight, make sense.

I'm surprised when a guard is immolated after I shoot him with a sleep dart. But it happens for a reason. In Dishonored 2, certain bottles of alcohol burst into flame when smashed—a trick useful for burning down the nests of Karnaca's parasitic bloodflies. This is a universal rule that exists outside of the player's direct involvement—a rule that can trigger when, for instance, a recently tranquilized guard drops their drinking glass onto a bottle. It's not about realism—this is a game in which one of the main characters has a parkour tentacle—but it works, and feels immersive, because everything has its own defining laws within the fiction. The biggest joy of Dishonored 2 is in discovering these systems, and manipulating them to your own ends. That wouldn't work if you couldn't trust in its simulation of the world.

http://www.pcgamer.com/dishonored-2-review/

Thinking of buying it now today myself as I somewhat conveniently have just enough sat doing nothing in my Steam wallet.
Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action