Homefront: The Revolution (PS4/Xbox One/PC)

Shoot the shit.
Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Re: Homefront: The Revolution (PS4/Xbox One/PC)

Postby Snowy » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:21 am

Haha aye it was an abysmal game, and one that really divided opinion much like another game whose very initials induce rage for me. You know, F....C....2.... :evil:

I watched Dave's gameplay vid last night though and some of it did appeal. Not the stealthy murder option and sound loop for corpse-slaying of course, but generally.

One question though Dave if I may? In the vid, you start out scoping the surroundings and see one guy on the street, a floaty robot chap, an armoured car and another guy on the walls. You then indulge in 10 minutes cat and mouse against an ever replenishing swarm of enemies. My question - do they spawn endlessly or are you depleting the enemy stronghold across the way, with the sounds of your gunfight drawing them in.

I hope it is the latter - a good tactical scrap against finite enemies I thoroughly enjoy, but instaspawning baddies not so much.

I also really struggle to understand why there are so many performance gremlins - it looks to be exactly the same engine and a lot of the same animation and movement as Dying Light (no bad thing on both counts) which looks and plays like a dream. Must be some really crummy code tucked away in there.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:31 am

Snowy wrote:I also really struggle to understand why there are so many performance gremlins - it looks to be exactly the same engine and a lot of the same animation and movement as Dying Light (no bad thing on both counts) which looks and plays like a dream. Must be some really crummy code tucked away in there.
It's Crytek engine, so it's already a bit of a nuisance to run. I imagine the rocky development combined with the apparent sprint to the finish line didn't help much.

I'm this close to being done with Doom and getting started on this. I don't want to rush what I pretty much know is going to be the superior game here. :P
End of an Era

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:31 am

Dying Light uses the Chrome Engine Snowy.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:40 am

Snowy wrote:One question though Dave if I may? In the vid, you start out scoping the surroundings and see one guy on the street, a floaty robot chap, an armoured car and another guy on the walls. You then indulge in 10 minutes cat and mouse against an ever replenishing swarm of enemies. My question - do they spawn endlessly or are you depleting the enemy stronghold across the way, with the sounds of your gunfight drawing them in.

I hope it is the latter - a good tactical scrap against finite enemies I thoroughly enjoy, but instaspawning baddies not so much.

It is exactly like Far Cry 3 Ian bud as in you choose an enemy location to capture and once you have eradicated each and every single enemy in that specific area and then completed whatever objective is required - sometimes you have to get to a wheel that blows up something for instance but you can't do so unless everyone is taken care of. Once done a short night day cycle animation kicks in and the base is liberated and becomes a base for friendlies. The area surrounding it then turns from red to blue on the map and rather than turn entire sections blue you are slowly liberating smaller areas within a larger area via certain buildings being freed up. You can then replenish ammo as one of the glowing weapon caches is unlocked directly inside the base.

As I have mentioned you don't have to take on strongholds alone and can go in either solo and take a stealth approach or you can charge in with NPC backup (three AI maximum) if you wish to even the odds but sometimes they don't last that long as otherwise it would be a bit too easy.
Mantis wrote:I was looking for your post about the new Assassins Creed to respond to earlier on and you've already deleted it. -_-

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:17 pm

v1.4 Patch Released on Steam...

Homefront: The Revolution Patch 1.4 Changelog:

Save Stalls– We have optimized the number of checkpoint save locations throughout the single player campaign. This means that the short ‘pauses’ that the player encounters are reduced and the game will now inform you that it is saving.

There will also be further optimizations in an upcoming patch.

Missing Map Icons – Players who were missing icons after updating to the v1.03 patch should now see their progress restored. You should now be able to continue your game, however there may be some slight inconsistencies with the hearts & minds stats.

Crash Fixes – We have fixed many crash related issues across all platforms

Multicore CPU’s – PC players should now see better performance from their CPU. We fixed an issue that meant multicore CPU’s were not being fully utilized.

HDR Rendering – Implemented HDR rendering optimizations for Nvidia hardware.

242mb in total.
Mantis wrote:I was looking for your post about the new Assassins Creed to respond to earlier on and you've already deleted it. -_-

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:29 pm

I have bought it. Generally plays pretty smoothly although I have had some nasty frame rate drops, but early impressions are decent :)

JasonHimm

Postby JasonHimm » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:01 pm

Me too. Downloading now. Fingers crossed

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:00 am

It plays pretty seamlessly on my rig, but when the judders hit they really hit, thankfully it is not that often though.

AI is also pretty janky, but the fuckers kill me pretty often for all that.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:43 pm

The AI can at times dumb found you and the next completely surprise you. It's an odd combination.

Thankfully the newest patch has resolved all my performance issues although the saving and exiting the ammo cache still causes a slight pause it's nothing to be concerned about. I can at long last now climb on a bike and shoot across the map without any kind of hitching or level streaming as I'd avoided using them for pretty much this reason and there's certain buildings you can only take over or even get to via the use of one.

Glad you guys took a dabble and although I know you both had/have your doubts you will find plenty to enjoy I'm sure. I've thoroughly enjoyed the 25 hours I've put in so far.

JasonHimm wrote:Fingers crossed

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:08 pm

Just reached Lombard Red Zone which is a toxic area that requires a gas mask to venture into. The game really steps itself up at this point and after just looking around for a few minutes I'm already contemplating headed straight back to the previous zone as enemies are royally having me for breakfast even with having every single gear upgrade installed. It's a very cool area though.

I've only seen one other person actually playing the game so far on Steam and I asked him what he thought of it so far and he pretty much has the same outlook of it as I do which was great to hear.

JasonHimm

Postby JasonHimm » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:19 pm

Admittedly not too far in but really enjoying it so far. Just running around the city, avoiding patrols and taking over outposts is worth it for me. Very immersive. It's running very well for me also, but I did just purchase a monster machine. Two thumbs up.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:36 pm

A very rare positive Youtube review...

STuG

Postby STuG » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:17 pm

How are you all finding the FOV on this?

Is it still rather...limited?

JasonHimm

Postby JasonHimm » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:41 am

There is an fov slider that goes up to 65. I believe the Cry Engine uses vertical fov. 65 equals about 97 degrees horizontal fov so it's been fine for me. I do get ill from narrow fov so this is the first thing I look at when I start playing a new game. Fov calculator link below...

http://www.rjdown.co.uk/projects/bfbc2/fovcalculator.php

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:24 am

I've been playing with the FOV at 50 for a good while now and it no longer bothers me tbh plus it helps smooth out performance.

Peak concurrent players yesterday was just 917 according to Steam Spy. Such a shame.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action