Ye Olde PC Games

Shoot the shit.
Boggy B

Ye Olde PC Games

Postby Boggy B » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:55 pm

I've been going through a stack of old PC games and demo CDs I seem to have kept for whatever reason and I've gone into one of those nostalgic trances. The likes of Crysis are utter pish compared to what we had in 1996.

I'm going to be playing a lot of these games so I may as well force you lot to marvel at them with me. Teeny weeny pictures since there'll be a lot of them.

Terminator: Future Shock

The mother fucking Terminator. With a title screen like that you know you're in for something special. Fuck yeah, lets get this thing going.

The future is 3D. The game world is bleak and screams despair. Clearly this is going to be a very powerful and emotional game.

Just like the film.

I feel a bit under equipped having nothing more than a stick to fight off T-101s with. Until I start jabbing at random buttons and whip out a gun...

...and show the moon who's boss.

Having just destroyed mans greatest foe I don't really fear the machines anymore. Until I run into one of the lumbering monstrosities.

The enemy box on triangles might look primitive and crap, but this is clearly just SkyNets way of mocking humanity. "Even with these pointy, boxy bits of old 486 computers we could erradicate you in a nano second."

"But we don't feel like it at the minute."

And so it goes on. Many boxes die at the hands of the unknown resistance fighter and everything seems tickity boo until this fellow shows himself.

Sweet merciful fuck! We're screwed! Game over, man!

No! NO! I've destroyed countless machines in the lead up to this challenge. One more robot isn't going to be any trouble.

Staring into the glowing red eyes of this mechanised evil I ready my weapons and attack.

Death quickly follows.

10/10

WMain00

Postby WMain00 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:06 pm

Don't ever change Boggy.

*love*

Boomshaka

Postby Boomshaka » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:19 pm

I approve greatly of this thread :D

I could never get that game working properly!
Will debase self for credits.

Papa Lazarou

Postby Papa Lazarou » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:26 pm

This is already better than the so-called Awesome Thread.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Re: Ye Olde PC Games

Postby Raid » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:42 pm

Boggy wrote:Image

Sweet merciful fuck! We're screwed! Game over, man!

That bit scared the hell out of me when I played it upon release.

And ye gods, the silent, floating bomb things that blew up as you came around a corner towards them.

Boggy B

Postby Boggy B » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:25 pm

Jill of the Jungle

Managed to find this on an old PC Gamer CD. Not much to say about this one expect.

She's hot.

Dying makes half her body turn into a dozen colourful balls.

She doesn't understand that the pointy bit of the knife is the useful part.

When the devs grew up they went on to make Unreal too. Which is nice.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:29 pm

Jill of the Jungle? Man, that's bleak compared to some Apple games i played as a 5 year old. But I approve much of this topic, well done ol' chap.

Boggy B

Postby Boggy B » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:30 pm

I won't hear a bad word said about Jill.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:45 pm

Aw Boggy's in love.

Boomshaka

Postby Boomshaka » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:57 pm

You had this on an old pc gamer CD? And it still worked after all this time? I think that alone is deserving of some mighty respect

Boggy B

Postby Boggy B » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:25 pm

Alright, this is killing me. Can anyone remember the name of that adventure game that had graphics composed almost entirely of spheres?

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:12 pm

Oh Oh, I recall that game!

No idea what it is though ¬_¬

Boomshaka

Postby Boomshaka » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:50 pm

Blade & Sword

Its a game that I’ve had for a while but only now felt like trying. Its from an age in game history that still created worlds for you to explore by pixel art.

Its just a beautiful game. Everything about this, you can see the designers effort and artwork right in front of you - not masked or distorted by filters like bloom and HDR but raw drawing which they've then animated by painstaking hand.

From the light tribal drumming and synth backing soundtrack, to the "HIYA CHOP!" of your sword striking undead flesh, everything feels like a lost relic of the past. Something that got completely annihilated when Diablo came on the scene, and thats where this game falls down for many I think. You will be constantly comparing this to its bigger brother - from the rather basic animation system to the fact that no voice recording was done for it. Also the music is about 2 minutes of looped music but for many, the fact that there is almost no stats for you to assign to different traits and skills will be the most crushing thing of all. But the artwork is so lovely!

All that seams to come as options for you to pick is the so called Kung Fu Training. From jumping over rocks to throwing enemies at other enemies, this really does make up for any shortcomings you may have felt. When facing an enemy, unlike Diablo where any click to the environment you simply walk there, in this you never turn your back to your enemy, the heavy sword that you wield can amputate limbs off snarling creatures – to which some still fight on afterwards. The combat, like Diablo, is only controlled by one mouse click, but here, you can jump in and out of combat range, creating openings and striking preventively, turning to another enemy, blocking then parrying their attack before jumping back into range with the first enemy again – this all creates a vivid sense of combat that doesn’t really rely on the stat heavy workings of Diablo.

I personally feel in its understated, lesser budgeted manner, it comes off as a more interesting and inventive game to the buttery fatty goodness that diabo holds.

"HIYA CHOP!"

^_________^

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:53 pm

Real men play Darklands ¬_¬

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:55 pm

Looks pretty good, I have to check it out at some point. The artwork does look pretty amazing, even down to the chopped up tree logs.

Next

Return to FPS & Action