S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Thread - CS v1.5.05 Patch Released

Shoot the shit.
Prey
Admin

Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear Sky Thread - v1.5.05 Patch Released

Postby Prey » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:19 am

Eurogamer's S.T.A.L.K.E.R retrospective is up. Warning: may cause slight lump to throat when reading...

It's a world that exists despite you, rather than because of you. In an industry where a game like Skyrim has enough stuff for you to stumble across and trigger to distract you into thinking this is a living, breathing world, GSC actually managed to do it, for the most part. There are still scripted sequences, but those became less and less prevalent across the development of the three games, until Call of Prypiat just dropped you into the Zone with a vague mission to investigate some downed choppers and left you to it.

It's a world that has a palpable sense of history, which makes sense, given that the game world genuinely does have history. It's modelled exquisitely on photographs taken of the real Chernobyl, only slightly altered to allow for a better game environment. So you have locations like Prypiat and the reactor, places that truly exist. But there's a disconnect from reality at the point of that reactor explosion, where the Zone starts to be filled with the weird and not-so-wonderful. Mutants and anomalies, artifacts and radiation.

And so the game makes its own history.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... -r-article
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Markachy

Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Thread - CS v1.5.05 Patch Released

Postby Markachy » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:03 pm

I feel a Stalker replay coming on, even on my under-powered laptop, which should at least handle Shadow of Chernobyl and its Complete Mod. I'm pretty sure I played a good bit of Pripyat on it as well, although I'm struggling to remember.vClear Sky is the shit one, isn't it?

Sigh...its too bad that GSC might be gone. This is yet another type of game that should be as big as Call of Duty, but instead it dies while more and more people get stuck with so-called "triple-A" sequels year after year after year. :cry: As polished as they all are, and enjoyable as well to be fair, none have that something special which games like Stalker have.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:03 pm

Yeah Clear sky to avoid, CoP to deffo play.

cHeal

Postby cHeal » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:14 pm

Still on CoP, i have a mission to discover the reason why Stingray 4 and 5 went down but can't figure out what the hell I have to do. have a load of documents in my inventory and have the gauss gun, which is what I presume took down the choppers but I just can't seem to trigger a movement in the story. The city is almost completely empty of life except for a few zombies turning up every now and again but now monolith guys left and I've been into the lab with all the documents and pretty sure I've cleared it out. Walk throughs don't seem to give any clue as to what I might be missing so it looks like it won't get finished. Pity cause I was enjoying it though I did prefer SoC overall.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:30 pm

Although I have completed it, it was a long time ago and I can't remember the ins and outs of the missions, I'm afraid.

I do remember a couple of underground labs where I tore my hair out trying to find the documents the game wanted me to find.
My face is tired.

Eny

Postby Eny » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:50 pm

cHeal wrote:Still on CoP, i have a mission to discover the reason why Stingray 4 and 5 went down but can't figure out what the hell I have to do. have a load of documents in my inventory and have the gauss gun, which is what I presume took down the choppers but I just can't seem to trigger a movement in the story. The city is almost completely empty of life except for a few zombies turning up every now and again but now monolith guys left and I've been into the lab with all the documents and pretty sure I've cleared it out. Walk throughs don't seem to give any clue as to what I might be missing so it looks like it won't get finished. Pity cause I was enjoying it though I did prefer SoC overall.

Your next mission is probably The Road To Pripyat then if you have found both choppers (one in a minefield and the other with those rabid dogs in the factory). Talk to the guide in Yanov station about how to get to Pripyat. It's well worth going there as there is a nice scary as fuck underground lab to visit! Finish the game! :D
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Dan

Postby Dan » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:19 pm

Steam have all the Stalker games massively cheap for the next few hours.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/5011/

Easily worth this money.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:07 pm

“Dear Stalkers: We will not be releasing any official news until around mid January. However there is cause for hope! Good hunting!"

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12 ... -for-hope/

Positive thinking people! :)
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Srcr. Maligree

Postby Srcr. Maligree » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:38 am

"The Stalker team continues work on the project and hopefully everything will turn out well. Good Hunting Stalkers!"
(@gscstalker Twitter)
Steam & Origin: Maligree ~~~ PSN: SrcrMaligree

JasonHimm

Postby JasonHimm » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:26 pm

Was packing up all my old game boxes this weekend and found Shadow of Chernobyl. Started a replay. (inspired by all this recent Stalker talk) This will the third time, I think. So good. I understand Call of Pripyat is really good but it never played too nice with my machine. Maybe I'll try it again when I get a new one, whenever that will be. Not in the foreseeable future, anyway.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:18 pm

Shame that Jason, I happen to think CoP is the best of the series by a country mile, fixes so much adds so much and does so much more with the story than the others. There simply must be a fix for your problems on the internetz

JasonHimm

Postby JasonHimm » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:39 pm

I know a lot of people have said it's the best one. Once I finish this playthrough, I'll give it another go. I remember getting down to the ship right at the start and it just being a slideshow. Actually, I may install it tonight and take a whack at getting it running decent

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:23 pm

Fingers crossed for you Jason! I think there a complete overhaul mod for CoP also that really adds to the game so that's worth checking into. What I really liked about CoP was that the artefacts were alot more functional than before and the different detectors were worth getting to find the rare ones. Anyways this talk is making me want to reinstall and I have enough to play at moment!

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:23 am

Haha I now also have the urge to play SOC and COP again, and I too have too much other stuff to play currently!

Saints Row 3, the new Ass Creed, SWTOR, Batman AC, and lots of little indie gems.

Jason I recommend avoiding the COP complete mod - while it is a great little mod it hugely increases the systems demands of the original title, but definitely try and get the vanilla running well again.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:05 pm

ahhh yes i should have mentioned that, it does push the graphics up, im running a very good system so i didnt notice the extra demand.I loved the mod because it changed some of the things i wanted like inventory size etc if i remember rightly.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action