DOOM 4 [PC, PS4, XBone]

Shoot the shit.
Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Re: DOOM 4 [PC, PS4, XBone]

Postby Wolfy » Tue May 24, 2016 5:39 pm

I got a CTD in the final cut scene. I had to do the last bit all over again just to get it to properly finish. :(
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

STuG

Postby STuG » Tue May 24, 2016 10:01 pm

The game had been perfectly stable until the these last few levels...quite irritating.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed May 25, 2016 10:11 am

I started getting random CTD's and the game loading to black screens a day or so ago myself. I've stopped playing it for now as the game is just too taxing to have to repeat big battles just because the game screws up mid way.
Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed May 25, 2016 1:08 pm

Yeah, I get the feeling the regular CTDs are a new thing; I'm playing other games until it's fixed.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat May 28, 2016 12:24 pm

Looks like the new patch resolved the CTD issues for me and hopefully will do for others too. Hit Prestige Level 6 on the multiplayer side and am seriously contemplating buying the £15 season pass for the extra maps and gear etc.

DOOM Freeze Tag is officially one of my favourite new online game modes ever.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat May 28, 2016 6:01 pm

It is good. Depends on how brain dead your team are though.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon May 30, 2016 8:35 pm

I'm still getting CTDs, but I'm getting a crash report dialogue afterwards.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue May 31, 2016 10:14 am

I picked this up on Friday and in-between bouts of Dota I got stuck into it over the weekend.

I don't have any real affinity with the series, Quake was my first foray into the realms of the FPS, so a lot of the nods and winks are lost on me. Despite that I've been enjoying what I've played. I like the upgrade system, the combat feels meaty and the glory kills don't get on my nerves as much as I thought they would. Level design is quite tight and you very rarely get lost.

However I think the map is awful, I spend so much time moving and zooming around it to try and see what areas I haven't explored yet, or where a secret might be located. If you build an upgrade system which is based off of exploring a level and finding the secrets then you need to make a much better map than the one they have done.

Other than that one gripe though I have enjoyed what I have played. I think I'm up to level 4 or 5, I've just destroyed some filters that were powering a spire or something. I'll probably dip in and out of it over the next few weeks depending on how lost I get in Blood and Wine, I also want to give the mulitplayer another shot as I enjoyed the beta.

One final thing, there has been a lot of talk online and in podcasts about how tongue in cheek the story has been, how it isn't being delivered in a serious way. I have to say that I haven't been seeing any of this, mainly it has felt pretty serious and I can't detect the hint of silliness that others claim is there.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue May 31, 2016 11:09 am

Finished! Those last 3-4 big arenas were incredible fun! So many enemies and so much to traverse in pursuit of splattering them. I have to say, if youre playing on less than Ultra Violence boost it up, its really quite perfectly balanced for that. I sure aint no savant with FPS, especially these days so this isnt a boast or anything but UV hit an absolute perfect balance between being near zero health and pulling through. It might have actually been a tad easy just because of how powerful the BFG/Chainsaw is. In a few months I might go back and give nightmare a try. Its still painkiller through and through though. There was maybe 2 levels that had a slight doom feel but it was pretty minimal. So so so much Painkiller in this.

Oh and that music! When the riffing kicks in and its in tempo with the guns ROF! :lol: Amazing!

My few gripes with it are that the new enemies are all a bit pants (shield guys, lazer blaster strogg and especially the awful second boss) and why isnt use and melee just the same button because it always feels like you should be punching all the buttons! Oh and "summoner"? Why not just bloody make it an Archvile? The attack and abilities were so similar.

What a fucking great game! Ive been playing this and Uncharted 4. I love the writing in Uncharted and I enjoy being in those stories but I kind of just want to watch them, more so than ever because coming off Doom every time I have "play" uncharted I'm bored as fuck. Hide in cover, pop up, repeat. Stupid modern game design! I really hope they dont do a new Quake and just go straight into Doom 2 and get it out pre-2018 because I really just want an awesome level pack. If the season pass was SP levels I'd buy it in a heartbeat. If they do do Quake, I hope its not Strogg because they have never been good, it had better be shamblers and tar babies.

Most fun Ive had with a game in ages. Fantastic! :D

Final boss spoiler
Spoiler: show
I didnty think they were going to do the Mastermind, when she sank into the ground I was actually saying to myself "spider spider spider.... :o YAS!". The fight itself was a bit pish but I enjoyed the reveal.

DjchunKfunK wrote:One final thing, there has been a lot of talk online and in podcasts about how tongue in cheek the story has been, how it isn't being delivered in a serious way. I have to say that I haven't been seeing any of this, mainly it has felt pretty serious and I can't detect the hint of silliness that others claim is there.
Really.... but... really?

You know you bought Doom3 BFG by accident right?

And the map is one of the best 3D maps Ive used. Its nice and clear, levels are seperate..... yeah youre definitely on Doom 3 ;)
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue May 31, 2016 11:18 am

If the map is all one level then yes it is perfectly clear, but add in a level above or below and it becomes very difficult to navigate.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue May 31, 2016 11:21 am

The above and below stuff was very clear to my eyes. The actual rotating of it did feel a bit clunky right enough (probably controller residue), but the display itself was great. I liked the slight purposefully vague nature of it too when it came to secrets.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue May 31, 2016 11:34 am

I had no problems with the map either, it seemed reasonably intuitive to me.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Tue May 31, 2016 3:23 pm

The story in DooM is great, but it's definitely told with tongue firmly in cheek. Like when Hayden tries to spout exposition right at the beginning and Doomguy just fucks it right off.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue May 31, 2016 3:35 pm

It has tongue in cheek at the start, yes, but everything after that seems to be delivered in a very standard way.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:05 pm

Sad to say but I can barely get a game on anything other than TDM already and I'm lucky at all to find one or two other players on my two favourite modes Warpath and Freeze Tag. This makes Prey very sad. :cry:

I bought the Season Pass but now I'm worried if the game even has legs to last until the first DLC is even released.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action