P R E Y (Xbox One/PS4/PC) May 2017

Shoot the shit.
Rusty

Re: P R E Y (Xbox One/PS4/PC) May 2017

Postby Rusty » Wed May 24, 2017 6:04 am

A few reviews are quick to point out that they haven't trod any new ground but, like you, I feel they've nailed it (apart from the latter stages with some ramped up baddies).
The exploration is a good enough game on it's own, well, maybe with a few enemies thrown in. Everything feels like a mini puzzle.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed May 24, 2017 8:03 am

Yeah I don't get reviewers who criticise the game for not being original. Even if that was the case, there are many storied franchises who don't reinvent the wheel and they never get called out for being unoriginal. If the game is good it doesn't matter if it is doing 'new' things or not.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed May 24, 2017 10:59 am

That's a fact. There's not much that is original nowadays when you break a game down into its components...it's all about the implementation and the mix of features now. Something I think this does very well.

Paul

Postby Paul » Thu May 25, 2017 7:17 am

I'll be buying the game this summer so that I can enjoy it for the few weeks the wife and kids piss off to Spain. Pretty excited about it.

The reviews don't bother me in the slightest. For a start I'll be playing on PC anyway, and I also very much like what I've seen so far.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu May 25, 2017 7:59 am

The reviews have been very positive as it stands so no worries there Paul. If your a fan of system shock this really scratches that itch better than say bioshock did...at least for me anyway. Make sure you take your time playing it.

Paul

Postby Paul » Fri May 26, 2017 11:22 am

I actually didn't play much System Shock, but what I did play was very much enjoyed.

sohei

Postby sohei » Fri May 26, 2017 12:43 pm

I really love this game so far. It's beautiful and fascinating. I'm getting a bit narked with the fact the areas seem to be swarming with even more typhon when I return. Is it just that they are hanging round the point where I return or is it really the case that there are more and more of them as time goes on?
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.00Ghz , 32 Gb Kingston HyperX Fury, Asus Radeon R9 295X2 8GB, Samsung 500gb SSD, Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri May 26, 2017 3:07 pm

It seems to be linked to your increase in powers. Can't say that's bothered me really.

I am chugging along at this at a snails pace...but in a good way. I can't help scouring each room and area for everything it might have in it. I'm also really glad that I went for Leverage 3 ... throwing stuff at the typhon is very effective at that level not even to mention the gaining access to areas normally denied.

sohei

Postby sohei » Sun May 28, 2017 11:58 am

I got to a point where I returned to the Arboretum and there were 3 typhon and the Nightmare all hanging around the entrance waiting for me so I started to despair a bit. Once I realised I could deal with that I felt a bit better. Being able to navigate via the airlocks is awesome as well.
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.00Ghz , 32 Gb Kingston HyperX Fury, Asus Radeon R9 295X2 8GB, Samsung 500gb SSD, Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:54 pm

I quite like the game but there is some parts that just make me want to bash my head of a spike. Notable the space sections (any of the low gravity bits), hacking and multiple functions bound to keys. You can recycle this and that but you can't do this and that for no reasoning. If you got to the console to get a list of the crew and it just spams you that quest given sound.

OH and how about it dropping shit ton of mobs infront of you as you enter a place with no real way of dealing with them barring brute force and luck.

Currently at the
Spoiler: show
Coral node part and have stopped playing it. Having 2-3 weavers, technopads and the sentinel machines at each of them. No way my ammo can last that long or even get close to scan and run off before dying

I was just going off and not even bothering with the main mission but looking around and exploring as much as possible. Best parts of the game there. The rest is okaish though.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:40 pm

That section is a low point but get through it. The best tip I can give you is save (or make) more neuromods and get leverage 3. I haven't used a gun since getting that as flinging something large and heavy at the things does huge damage.

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:39 pm

It does bugger all damage on Nightmare difficulty. My own fault for picking that I know :P

But I wanted the game to last me longer than usual.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:01 pm

You can drop that difficulty anytime though to get you past the tougher bits. Less of a man I know but still.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:28 am

So finished this last night. Great game that has a strong main story which can be a little bonkers at the end. By the way the game does seemingly finish rather abruptly but you have to wait for the end credits to roll before you get an explanation and a tally of what your choices meant in the end. There's are multiple endings and no spoilers here for my ending but the explanation gives a decent run down of the things you did.

It's still a little bonkers even with the explanation but the main strength in this game is the sheer exploration of the station and it's inhabitants. So much here reminded me of playing the likes of system shock 2 etc.

The combat is probably the weaker element if you choose to rely on traditional shooty things. I went with a very typhon heavy build and had lots of fun with the combat in that way.

Well written story overall delivered with decent to excellent voice acting.

Probably not one I'll replay in a while but it is replayable.

sohei

Postby sohei » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:09 pm

I just finished this with 39 hours of gameplay. As Jez states it's the pleasure of exploring such a fascinating environment that really makes the game come alive. I was happy enough with the combat but it wasn't the core strength of this title. Somewhere in the middle I totally lost interest in the story and just chipped away at the mission goals without paying too much attention to the purpose of my objectives. Towards the end however some of the moral choices really started to bear down on me and I surprised myself with the decision I made regarding the fate of the station and it's human and alien occupants. The finishing sequence after the end credits was nicely done and made me want to go back and try the game out in a different way which I will do at some point. Best game I've played in 2017 so far.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action