P R E Y (Xbox One/PS4/PC) May 2017

Shoot the shit.
Jez

Re: P R E Y (Xbox One/PS4/PC) May 2017

Postby Jez » Sat May 20, 2017 8:36 am

Back from my travels looking forward to playing some more of this. Here's a great rps article about why the game is great.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/0 ... prey-good/

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Sat May 20, 2017 12:03 pm

I've got to the point (maybe lateish in the game) where there are so many enemies that I've run out of ammo and recyclable items. I'm ending up trying to stealth everything but that's been forced on me rather than a choice.
Apart from that, I love this game. Being able to work out different routes to inaccessible places or setting up traps for baddies (when there was only 1 or 2).
Those turrets are pretty rubbish
Spoiler: show
especially now I've gone 1 alien power too many and they hate me too
and don't stand up to much punishment.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat May 20, 2017 3:43 pm

The turrets are great if you can set up a cross fire but yeah on their own against anything tough they are really only a distraction. That's probably as it should be would be too easy if they were quickly lethal.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sun May 21, 2017 1:05 pm

Just reached the point in Prey were things change up a fair bit and I'm not a fan. Feels like it has become a bit of a different game.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun May 21, 2017 1:10 pm

How do you mean change? I haven't had any time with it since coming back from travels so still only about 10 hours in or so.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sun May 21, 2017 5:33 pm

I'll put it in spoiler tags.

Spoiler: show
You are suddenly fighting a totally different kind of enemy who require a lot more resources to kill.
So you are incentivised to just run away.

Thankfully I've passed that bit now, but I think it was a fairly big misstep.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun May 21, 2017 5:40 pm

Roger mate.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun May 21, 2017 8:57 pm

I know other pro reviews say it a lot about this game but the sense of exploration is great in this. There's a hacking level 4 door near the starting area called "fabrication" I'd mostly forgotten about it as I progressed elsewhere. I read an email in one of those elsewhere places alluding to a ceiling access storage area which peaked the interest. Sure enough I found it after gaining access to the volunteer quarters. Love that so much about this game often the solution is tucked away in plain enough sight but then you'll get a hint somewhere else and it janks the thought processes.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon May 22, 2017 7:49 am

I got battered by some baddies to the point I am barely clinging to life, and bizarrely it just switched off my interest in the game. I know I can be a bit mercurial with games, so must make myself go back and load a save from an earlier point.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Mon May 22, 2017 8:36 am

Rage Quit!

Exploration is just awesome, there's a security station right near the beginning that I spent ages trying to get into. I think I now have the powers I need to gt in but haven't actually gone back there yet. But just the thought that I can retry earlier blockages is fun.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon May 22, 2017 8:58 am

So I completed this last night. On the whole I really enjoyed the game. I think they just about managed to strike the right balance between combat and exploration. There were times when the games was a bit cheap, like coming out of elevators straight into a Weaver, but other than Cystoids which are a pain to deal with, the combat was quite good fun. I thought the re-population of areas might get on my nerves, but it was done in such a way that it never felt like a slog to go back to places you had already explored.

The only criticism I would have is that the last couple of hours were not great and it felt like I was playing a different game at times. I found myself just rushing through, main-lining the story missions in order to just finish the game. I had done most of the important side stuff by then so I didn't miss anything big, apart from the cook, but it did feel like they messed up the ending somewhat.

As for the story ending of the game it was very trite, but didn't spoil the game for me. Ultimately the game is great for the majority of the time before failing on it's arse a bit for the final few hours.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon May 22, 2017 10:05 am

Rusty wrote:Exploration is just awesome, there's a security station right near the beginning that I spent ages trying to get into. I think I now have the powers I need to gt in but haven't actually gone back there yet. But just the thought that I can retry earlier blockages is fun.

To get in places, it is always good to remember that glass is breakable and your nerf crossbow works on touchscreens...

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Mon May 22, 2017 11:39 am

Snowy wrote:To get in places, it is always good to remember that glass is breakable and your nerf crossbow works on touchscreens...

I didn't realise the nerf crossbox did that until I read a tip on a loading screen. I've only used as such in one place (i broke a window and managed to hit the door opening button)
That's the way I need to get into that security station, or else morph into a mug, or something else small, and get in under the window.

Actaully, I just typed all that and now I'm wondering if I may have picked up the security code to open the door anyway...

Been away from the PC for 3 days now and itching to get back at it (and restart up my Elite Dangerous after many, many months away).
Oh and Tom Clancy's Wildlands (having been distracted over to The Division)

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon May 22, 2017 1:15 pm

Peaver and I are regulars on GR:W still, we have completed it, restarted on max difficulty and playing it through again - happy to hook up for co-op.

Not played E:D in ages - grindy grind grind to get my Federal Assault Ship, then kinda lost interest :)

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue May 23, 2017 10:06 pm

Totally love this game. Just spent my allotted 90 mins tonight literally in one smallish area with a few rooms scattered around soaking in everything, reading everything, looting everything, getting to places using different means, murdering the typhon littered about. This is one game that really shouldn't be rushed.

Arkane are totally forgiven for making a mess of the dishonored 2 release (not that it affected me at all). They've showed that they are one of few developers trying and succeeding to innovate and break out of some of the moulds and formulaic gameplay created over last 10 years.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action