P R E Y (Xbox One/PS4/PC) May 2017

Shoot the shit.
Sly Boots
MILF

Re: P R E Y (Xbox One/PS4/PC) May 2017

Postby Sly Boots » Mon May 08, 2017 12:05 pm

There's another one written by a guy who says after playing a session his lamp flickered and he freaked out and smashed it against the wall :lol:
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon May 08, 2017 1:45 pm

It's really not that jump scarey :lol:

Well I'm off for 2 weeks so having this to play when I get back is good.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon May 08, 2017 4:22 pm

Quietman wrote:How "thriller" is? Do they resort to jump scares?

Think headcrabs in Half Life.

I don't like scary stuff in games, but don't really have a major problem with the stuff they do in Prey.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon May 08, 2017 5:50 pm

I need to play more with the scenery and make the station more of a deathtrap for the mobs. I am still dealing with them all as a stand-up fight, and I am sure I will get more enjoyment from creating environmental deathtraps and having them take care of them for me. Certainly some of the Phantoms I have come across, wreathed in fire or wibbly purple spooge, have left my enviro-suit and health bar massively depleted.

On the post earlier about the speedrun, funnily I was wondering about that thinking it is a game that will probably attract them, but fuck me does it miss the point! Creeping about, savouring the atmosphere and what the devs have built, is far more enjoyable than seeing how fast I can tick all the mandatory boxes.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Tue May 09, 2017 5:50 am

Loving the game and loving the 'headcrabs' but god the big dudes are just a pain in the ass and suck me out of the world as I tend to 'game' the AI almost. Maybe once I've played it more and have unlocked stuff it'll be more fun.
Like Snowy, I'd like ways of getting their health right down in devious ways before having to finish them off.
Last edited by Rusty on Tue May 09, 2017 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue May 09, 2017 6:42 am

Prey scores 79% from PC GAMER....

Many of Prey's issues are a consequence of its broad range of options. Attempting to cater to a variety of play styles is laudable, but also means that Prey isn't as good a stealth game as Dishonored, nor as good a combat game as BioShock. But while the individual parts have problems, Prey is nonetheless greater than the sum of them. Prey is worth playing, mostly thanks to the strength of Talos-I as a setting, and the excellent environment design. It's fun to explore, full of interesting stories, and also looks and sounds great. Frequently, Prey's strengths build to create a tense and compelling atmosphere. And then it usually undermines it all with yet another goddamn Mimic.

http://www.pcgamer.com/prey-review/
Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue May 09, 2017 2:58 pm

Glowing review on RPS, with a couple of minor-ish caveats:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/0 ... ore-445573

No spoilers.
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed May 10, 2017 8:58 pm

A particularly rare but still rather scathing review stating that Prey is that it lacks any sense of originality...

What also doesn’t feel good is realizing that Prey liberally cribs aesthetics from both Bioshock and the woefully underrated Alien: Isolation. There’s a fine line between drawing inspiration from something and feeling like a monotone Xerox copy, and it’s a line that I feel this game crosses. Whole set pieces feel as if they are lifted wholesale from both games, but lack the artistic flourish and defining characteristics that gave those two titles such memorable looks. It is, appropriately, an act of mimicry – an imitation and nothing more.

They’ve produced a game that is almost entirely devoid of originality. Every facet— and I do mean every facet— has been done before, and done better in other games. There is nothing here from a narrative, mechanical, or visual standpoint that is not liberally cribbed from games that came before it. From top to bottom, this is a product that feels cynical – like a deliberate attempt to replicate games that have done well before. On a personal note, Prey deliberately tries to replicate games that I love, such as Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Bioshock, System Shock, and, most egregiously, Alien: Isolation. The problem is that imitations are always poor substitutions for the real thing, and Prey is a particularly poor substitute in that it seems to have a fundamental misunderstanding of what makes all of those things work.

Prey is a game that is a patchwork of other titles with no swatches of originality added to the mix.

http://www.cgmagonline.com/reviews/prey ... ng-genius/

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed May 10, 2017 9:31 pm

I'm all for originality in games, my posts on the forum in various topics probably demonstrates how harsh I am towards games that use recycled ideas or just seem to be cashing in on franchise names. Presumably this reviewer applies a similar logic to every other game he reviews then? Because he probably would have a similar reaction to basically every AAA game that comes out nowadays and the site would be full of negative reviews. You can never tell with these things whether they are genuine standards or just trying to get traffic to their site by being negative about a very well received game.

I don't know a great deal about this reboot of the Prey franchise. But the idea of enemies that can morph into basically any object to try and trick you seems like quite an original idea for a Bioshock-esque shooter/rpg to me. And the rest of it seems pretty competent even if it is just recycled ideas. Given the amount of crap that we get repackaged every year by big developers milking the same franchises, at least some credit should surely be given for the fact that this title is building on similar past games in a competent manner; it even holds up well as a PC port, which can't be said for so many games nowadays.

Still gutted the original concept has been binned though. I really had a blast with the first Prey game, it did Portals before Portal and combined gravity puzzle mechanics too.

sohei

Postby sohei » Wed May 10, 2017 10:55 pm

Plus it's novel to spend my time twatting toilet rolls with a spanner 'just in case'.
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.00Ghz , 32 Gb Kingston HyperX Fury, Asus Radeon R9 295X2 8GB, Samsung 500gb SSD, Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Thu May 11, 2017 6:42 am

I twat everything. Glass. Inanimate objects. Doors. Walls. All just in case it opens up a secret area.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu May 11, 2017 8:14 am

IGN gave the game a 4 out of 10 due to a supposed game breaking bug...

If the PC version of Prey hadn’t become completely unplayable from crashes and save-game corruption just as it was hitting its stride, I’d have called it a very good or perhaps even great game. Its strange alternate-history universe, sidequests, hidden threats, and detailed environmental storytelling make Talos I a joy to explore, one that’s well worth slogging through combat that doesn’t feel fresh enough to sustain it throughout a long game. But there’s little so frustrating in a game in which you’ve invested dozens of hours as having your progress wiped out or blocked before the end, and my time with Prey concluded so poorly that I can’t in good conscience recommend you risk hitting the same game-breaking bug I did.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/05/11/p ... iew-2?read

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu May 11, 2017 2:16 pm

Wow that's strange regarding the bug, not heard anyone else have an issue. Generally the PC port is getting the thumbs up.

I would say the way the game handles crafting and the Gloo Gun are also innovations. That review Dave posted very much feels like click bait.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Thu May 11, 2017 8:30 pm

They do this whole "review in progress" shebang why didn't they give it a non score until it was fixed? Ratings whores.

The news I've seen says they've fixed it now and managed to uncorrupt the save files so expect a new review score soon.

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Fri May 12, 2017 7:21 am

Indeed, 1.2 patch claims to have fixed it -

PREY Patch 1.2 Changelog:
•Fix to prevent Save games from becoming corrupted. Fix also returns corrupted Save games to uncorrupted state.
—–>Also addresses some additional crashes on map loads.
•Hacking during the Power Plant reboot no longer causes the reboot to fail to complete.
•Fix to prevent the Player from becoming stuck in certain circumstances.
•Nightmares will now always search for the player once spawned.
•Saving and Loading PC settings will now save correctly for users with special characters in their Windows usernames.
•Numerous fixes to GLOO to prevent breaking and bypassing collision, prevent corpses from passing through walls and floors.
•Updated Recycling to prevent infinite material creation.
•Fix for occasional combat freeze when attacking Phantoms
•Kaspar’s objective indicator should no longer disappear.
•Updates to audio mix to adjust volume of music, audio logs, cutscenes.
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action