P R E Y (Xbox One/PS4/PC) May 2017

Shoot the shit.
Jez

Re: Prey 2 (PC/360/PS3)

Postby Jez » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:26 pm

Yeah the previous previews before cancellation sounded great. The idea of a space bounty hunter wasn't it? Sounded really good. Maybe this'll still be good but I suppose will have to see what comes out of the wash.

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:29 pm

But on the good news it is Arkane Studios so maybe they can work there magic and make another great game. Probably does mean no Dishonoured sequel for a while though :(
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:08 am

So, some clarification from Bethesda, and it's still Human Head and not Arkane who are making it.

Good news - it's not been canned

Bad news - the reason for all the delays is it was shit and they've more or less gone back to the drawing board.

Where once Prey 2 burned as bright as an exploding star, it’s now nearly blipped out of existence. Strikes and stall-outs allegedly sidelined the promising sequel for many moons, and talk of cancellation wrapped a rapidly tightening noose around its neck. But then, a twist: rumors rushed from the Internet’s every exceedingly awkward orifice door that Dishonored developer Arkane had taken the reins on the beleaguered bounty hunter because, well, Bethesda got kinda pushy about it. However, as part of an interview during QuakeCon, I asked Bethesda’s Pete Hines about the situation, and he told a very, very different tale.

“No,” he told RPS when asked if Prey 2 has moved from Human Head to Arkane’s human hands. “All of that stuff, I have no idea where it came from. The Human Head Prey 2 thing is the Human Head Prey 2 thing. Arkane is over here, and they’re doing their thing, and that’s for them to work on. We’ll be ready to talk about what they’re working on when it gets closer to release.”

That is, um… OK. Quite definitive. Frankly, I was very surprised. So then, what is happening? Well, Hines was adamant about one thing: Prey 2 isn’t down for the count. It wasn’t up to snuff previously, but it will get there – in some form or another.

“It just wasn’t where it needed to be,” he admitted. “It wasn’t meeting expectations that we had and – in some respects – Human Head had. We’re not just gonna proceed with a plan of putting this thing out until that gets addressed in a way that we feel like will be worth all this time and attention.”

“Yes, we could ship it and put it in a box and be done with it, but it won’t meet anybody’s expectations. Not ours, not yours, not the consumer’s. It’d just be like, ‘What happened to this?’ Well, that’s what we would like to know. It’s not fun to make a call to pull back the reins on something like that and say it’s not coming out this year. It’s certainly not an easy decision, especially after you spent years and millions and millions of dollars creating it.”

So Bethesda’s called for a mulligan. But clearly, people were extremely excited about what Prey 2 at least looked like it would become. I asked Hines if the plan was still to pursue something resembling that vision, if not an entirely similar path to realizing it. At that point, unfortunately, he got a bit cagey. A long, brow-furrowing pause, and then:

“It probably doesn’t help me to define that any further. The reason that it got delayed the way it did is because it was not hitting the quality bar that it was supposed to and needed to. That was ultimately the problem. It had nothing to do with what it was trying to do. It just didn’t hit the quality bar. It’s kind of like Wolfenstein, which is getting delayed to next year because it’s showing promise, but it needs more time and polish to hit the quality bar we expect. Prey 2 is not the first time that we’ve moved something because of that. It’s gonna come down to quality.”

Well, that’s something at least. Kind of. Whoever’s working on Prey 2 right now, I wish them the best. Here’s hoping we get something meatier to chew on soon. But until then, I guess all I can say is see you, space cowboy noir detective parkour alien man creature thing.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08 ... ore-162915
My face is tired.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:38 pm

A ton of supposedly leaked screenshots from a few months back...

http://boards.4chan.org/vg/res/43344048#p43390235

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:31 pm

High five on not knowing how 4chan works. :wink:

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:45 pm

You gotta get em while they're hot ma man. If you're not fast you're last.

http://www.lightninggamingnews.com/tons ... of-prey-2/

High five all the same though. Woo! :D

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:12 pm

My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:27 am

Prey 2 officially cancelled. :(

Unfortunately for fans of the original Prey, Bethesda Softworks’ vice president, Pete Hines, has confirmed at PAX Australia that development on Prey 2 has ceased, and that the video game has been officially cancelled.

http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/10/p ... -bethesda/

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:49 am

Disappointing, if not all that surprising.
My face is tired.

Tank

Postby Tank » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:52 am

Sly Boots wrote:Disappointing, if not all that surprising.

My sentiments precisely. That CGI trailer was a really nifty concept and felt about as close to a Fear Agent game I might have ever got. A crying shame.
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:55 pm

Can't say I particularly care. We never saw a single thing of this game outside of a grossly overhyped CGI trailer that would never have been indicative of the final product considering the technology at the time.

Was more disappointed that they abandoned the original concept to be honest.

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:15 pm

Well there was a snippet of gameplay revealed at Gamescon of the game

Not even sure what to think of it as it's so different from the original I keep asking why use the IP #-o
Formerly MrAnnoyed

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:54 pm

Is this a continuation of the Prey from way back? Was it 3Drealms?

I quite liked that, apart from not dying. Kind of made it too easy when you know you end up in this poxy weird zone, until going back to where you were. I remember it being quite a decent game though.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:45 pm

It's a remake that has nothing to do with the previous PREY game I think. It started out as some sort of bounty hunter game in2008 then got ditched and redid again in 2011? and then ditched and now this version. Don't even think it has the cool portal and gravity swapping elements either.

Watching it made me get out the old game to play tomorrow now though. Haven't played that in donkey years. It was still a fun game even if the not dying part made it rather too easy in my mind. Wonder if it will run on windows 10 now that I recall the game being out nearly what, 8-9 years ago?
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:46 pm

Interesting if short. It's made by Arkane and Bethesda publishing so it's got good pedigree at least.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action