P R E Y (Xbox One/PS4/PC) May 2017

Shoot the shit.
Jez

Re: P R E Y (Xbox One/PS4/PC) May 2017

Postby Jez » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:08 pm

Yeah I got a good 40 odd hours out of it also. I bet this isn't selling well which is fuckin odd because anyone that liked system shock 2/bioshock et al will find this game does those titles especially the first one lots of justice.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:27 pm

Raphael Colantonio founder of Arkane Studios has announced his departure from the studio.

I've still not yet played Prey and much like Dishonoured 2 something tells me that I probably never will. There's just too many other new games looming on the horizon plus I'm trying to save for my new build.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:45 pm

Seeing yourself off then mate. It's a good game honestly.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:08 pm

Only subbed to this guy a few days ago but I'm really loving his insightfulness, honesty and general take on things...

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:38 am

For some reason on this forum I can't see videos. Only this forum. Weird. What's the bottom line?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:59 am

Jez wrote:For some reason on this forum I can't see videos. Only this forum. Weird. What's the bottom line?

Pretty good game, old-school gameplay not a bad thing, decently received, poor sales, Bethesda needs to start sending out review copies again.
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:00 am

Bethesda clearly thought that they had another sure fire hit like DooM on their hands which as we all know also didn't have review copies sent out but upon release not only exceeded all expectations but garnered amazing reviews and had great word of mouth behind it. On top of that it was one of the most well optimised PC games of its type bar none on all manner of hardware levels.

Prey on the other hand was coming from the same studio who had not long before released what many perceived to be one of the most broken PC releases in recent years and although a decent outing had simply rubbed PC owners up the wrong way after months of waiting for it to be fixed up properly. It was heavily discounted fast across all platforms. A demo was pushed out in a last ditch attempt to save face. Too little too late. Poor word of mouth had lingered over it since release and even now many are hesitant to buy it myself included. Had Bethesda ensured that the very much anticipated Dishonoured sequel was given the PC treatment it clearly deserved how very different things for Prey could have been. Instead a game that not only ran great at launch and had indeed had positive word of mouth was just left on the shelf.

In short Bethesda are hugely expectant shit houses that no doubt pushed Arkane to release the game when it simply was not ready and it bit them on the arse massively. They should never have attempted to force Human Head Studios into being bought out and maybe then we would have had the true Prey sequel we all wanted that they teased us with so much for many years.

“It’s not like we’re asking Arkane to make a racing game” – Bethesda VP on similarities between Dishonored and Prey.

Ok so if Prey was a pimped up sleek and sexy racing car Dishonoured 2 was still a wreck abandoned at the road side. Doesn't alter the fact that one didn't sell as a direct result of the other.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:05 am

To be fair to Arkane, Prey and Dishonored 2 were from two different studios so I think it isn't fair to assume that they would both run terribly.

Their review policy is silly and maybe after Dishonoerd 2 and Prey both suffered from poor sales they will review it.

I do fear a bit for Arkane as a whole what with both their studios producing poor selling games, especially with Colantino leaving. Hopefully they continue to get Bethesda's support as I think they make really interesting games.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:16 pm

Arkane are producing great games. But for whatever reason they aren't selling and that's fucking criminal really.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:45 pm

I haven't got it yet. I will but not for full price.

I dunno, I feel like it was always gonna be a hard sell. What with the weird aliens and the morphing mechanics..? Also I heard some of the story is a bit shit.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:53 pm

No more crap than the vast majority of games out there really.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:11 pm

Wolfy wrote:I haven't got it yet. I will but not for full price.

I dunno, I feel like it was always gonna be a hard sell. What with the weird aliens and the morphing mechanics..? Also I heard some of the story is a bit shit.

Not sure where you are getting that from. The story is pretty good.

sohei

Postby sohei » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:52 am

Somewhere in the middle the story felt slightly unfocused but it all comes together well at the end. I was very pleased with it overall. There is something about the game that feels a bit vague in places and perhaps this has affected it's success as well, but I'm nitpicking really. Perhaps it lacks that brooding atmosphere that worked so well in the original System Shock games and even in Bioshock. Overall it's really still really impressive and I had plenty of 'wow' moments.
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.00Ghz , 32 Gb Kingston HyperX Fury, Asus Radeon R9 295X2 8GB, Samsung 500gb SSD, Windows 8.1 64 bit.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:32 pm

One of it's biggest strong points I think is that it feels like an actual Space Station. Everything connects together really well and when you go outside it keeps that consistency. So the GUTS for instance runs down the whole station.

sohei

Postby sohei » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:07 pm

Yeah it was clever to design to allow navigation of the length of the ship both internally and externally. So many ships and buildings in games are just a series of connected rooms which doesn't reflect the realities of design and construction methods, and just gives a sense of progressing from one level to the next rather than existing in a real space.
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.00Ghz , 32 Gb Kingston HyperX Fury, Asus Radeon R9 295X2 8GB, Samsung 500gb SSD, Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Previous

Return to FPS & Action