Portal 2 - release out everywhere 21/4

Shoot the shit.
katarn

Re: Portal 2 - release out everywhere 21/4

Postby katarn » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:08 pm

Liam wrote:Also Portal 2 is a tenner today: http://store.steampowered.com/app/620/

Get it if you've haven't yet.

Ooh, I'll have me some of that. Thankyou for the heads up.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:14 pm

Still my GOTY so far by a far way. Unless my experience bucks the trend with RAGE that is.

At a tenner well...thats just giving a great game away really.

Eny

Postby Eny » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:27 pm

I was going to wait until it get's to a fiver, but I think it's only fair to pay a tenner for it as it's such a great game, so BOUGHT! :)
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:29 pm

=D>

Well done Eny, a greater purchase this year you will not (possibly) make.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:49 pm

I watched this last night:

Now, it's not too bad. It's quite funny in places especially with the guy who does Cave. He doesn't sound or look like him, but he totally captures his tone and rhythm. I did follow it up with listening to the 11 minute Cave Johnson quotes on youtube. ¬_¬

We're done here. <3
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Judge Rabbi

Postby Judge Rabbi » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:05 am

I just updated the PS3 version of Portal 2 today, and loaded up a previous save where you come across the last three vitrified chambers for fun. I pressed 'use' on the speakers next to the door and heard a 'NOOOO!' just before Cave starts speaking.

Is it just me or does anyone else hear it?

Judge Rabbi

Postby Judge Rabbi » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:43 pm

And thats the co-op done!

I'll be honest, if this was a few quid on the PSN I would have still bought it. Great little set of test chambers, and a amusing ending.

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:21 am

Think I've almost finished the SP now. The best bits of the game are still without doubt the test chambers themselves - all the other bits of you running along corridors with scripted animations going on around you are nicely done I guess, but I am left wishing they'd spent less effort on all that and produced more test chambers instead.

Having a pleasant enough time with it though.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:41 pm

I thought the opposite - i loved running around in the guts of the facility and solving puzzles outside the chambers. Loved both really but i dont think i could put up with chamber...after chamber....after chamber....and so on.

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:20 pm

The problem with the puzzles outside the chambers is that it's nearly always 'look around for the white bit of wall in the far distance' as opposed to actual puzzles that require you to think a bit.

Nice little game though.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:51 pm

Yeah thats true it did kinda turn into "wheres the white spot" but often i felt it was still a challenge as you needed to figure out exactly how to use said white spot to get you somewhere else. Some of the areas rooting about in the guts were far more taxing than the actual chambers.

Also i really liked that you got to see more of what the Aperture facility was built like - some of the far distance work and the sheer scale of the vistas are a tribute to some really great level design. Something that would be difficult to appreciate in a 50x50 box ;)

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:54 pm

Yeah, from a visual point of view the design is indeed very snappy. But gameplay-wise I was often just looking forward to the next chamber, where the meat of the game is.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:56 pm

Oh right :) Well i suppose it takes all sorts to make a world, but i still felt there was plenty of gameplay in the "out of the box" areas.

Roll on the third anyway!

katarn

Postby katarn » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Finished it, took about 8 hours (I'm sure on release some were saying 'OMG only took 4 hours!' which is impossible). I quite liked it, nowhere near being my GOTY, but a tasty gaming snack all the same. Lots of nice touches sprinkled around.

I liked how they expanded on the tools from the first Portal and I could see how they must have been toying with making the puzzles even more complex, which I would have personally preferred, but I guess they had to balance the difficulty for simpler folk who wanted to play it also. Story was pretty good and kept me interested. Graphically, they've managed to squeeze every ounce out of this Source engine.

Few negatives; constant loading screens were a bummer, hopefully they can improve that for the next one (if there is a next one). Wasn't enthused with Merchant's voice work at all, but that was maybe down to familiarity. Plus I just felt sometimes it was a little too samey outside the chambers - there were some bits where I just had the W key pressed down between loading screens running along a walkway (along with the 'find distant white wall' rinse/repeat sections), and felt a little bit like they were just trying to stretch the game time.

It's like I said earlier...it's a pleasant journey, highly polished with some enjoyable sections. But ultimately it didn't grab me in a major way.

Liam

Postby Liam » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:47 pm

[pimping] updated my map [/pimping]

Can't wait for the new level editor valve is working on:

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action