Re: Black Mesa - Out Now!

Postby Jez » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:59 pm

Never...played...

Whut da fuk

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:22 pm

Yeah I know !
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Saints Row 3 / Valiant Hearts (XBO) / Rochard / RTW 2

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:47 pm

It's not that uncommon. I've never touched any of the series beyond getting bored half an hour into HL2.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:44 pm

So I just completed it. I must have ploughed a good 12 hours into it. This game brought out a lot of emotions. On the plus side the modding is spectacular. Given it is a free game I marvel on how excellent the game looks and plays. I would pay good money for this and will do so when it gets incorporated into Steam. The team should be commended on what is an excellent piece of work.

The game mechanics at times does show it is from the old generation of FPS. Base jumping and precision footing drove me crazy at times, especially during the bit with the cross - laser mines. I almost gave up until I modded it by changing the ini file so I could jump higher. Re-loading was a nightmare during fire fights. Freeman was so slow at re-loading it was nerve racking. I have not used quick save as often since COD 1 and MOHAA days. There were also times when I was not sure where to go next and what to do. I am not advocating the dumb signposting of COD but I did have to refer to YouTube on more than one occasion to know figure out what to do next.

However these minus points cannot distract from the fact the game is superb. Defiantly worth a replay some time in the future.

9/10
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Saints Row 3 / Valiant Hearts (XBO) / Rochard / RTW 2

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:17 am

Achtung Englander ladies and gentleman. Surely the saddest tale from this generation of games...

:wink:
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:45 am

er...yeah. I like to complete games so at times I will have to resort to someone else holding my hand and showing what to do next. I am 39 and losing it after all.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:21 am

In fairness there was something a bit... odd... with the movement in this. Like you wouldn't stop straight away if you let go of W, but a split second later. Didn't help with a lot of things :/
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:34 am

Half-Life was always like that.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Edam

Postby Edam » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:15 am

Yeah, I remember noticing that HL2 didn't move in the same way, and I was disappointed :(

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:03 am

It was the endless crouch-jumping that got to me; I really didn't remember the original having so much of it.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:56 am

I agree. That is why I changed the ini file to jump higher on normal jump

Srcr. Maligree

Postby Srcr. Maligree » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:02 pm

I need to get finishing this, but it's hard. Current location: Made it through the trip-mine warehouse (yes, the jumping mechanic is terrible), jammed on the alien bee-shooter arm, now stuck in a tunnel with piles of soldiers being heli-dropped at the exit.
Steam & Origin: Maligree ~~~ PSN: SrcrMaligree

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:53 pm

Aww, man. I miss crouch-jumping.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:07 pm

Srcr. Maligree wrote:I need to get finishing this, but it's hard. Current location: Made it through the trip-mine warehouse (yes, the jumping mechanic is terrible), jammed on the alien bee-shooter arm, now stuck in a tunnel with piles of soldiers being heli-dropped at the exit.

just keep on running between waves (hint - destroy the heli dropper) ....and.....there is no shame in this reduce difficulty to "easy". I did. Once that is over put it back to medium.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:24 am

Black Mesa given retail go-ahead from Valve...

http://forums.blackmesasource.com/showt ... hp?t=17088

HAPPY 15TH BIRTHDAY HALF-LIFE! We here at Black Mesa have some big news!

The Big News:
Last year, Black Mesa was one of the first Steam games to be Greenlit by you, our amazing fans. We've had quite a year since then, with a lot happening internally that we haven't been able to talk about... until now. Black Mesa has been given the opportunity to be sold as a retail product on Steam! This is an incredible honor - one we never expected - but also one we found hard to accept.

We never developed Black Mesa with money in mind. Our team is made up of average, hardworking people, and no one joined the team to make money. For us, Black Mesa is purely a labor of love. We believe this philosophy has significantly contributed to the overall quality and feel of the game.

Our decision to sell Black Mesa rests on two key points. One is we believe we can make the game even better by having full access to the Source engine. This lets us tackle and fix limitations instead of working around them. The second is because frankly, our team could really use the financial help.

The Plan:
Soon you'll see Black Mesa available on Steam for a relatively low price. But we aren't dropping all support for the free version. In fact shortly after the Steam release there will be a completely new free version of the game. We also plan to open source our maps and some game assets to the modding community!

Purchasing the Steam version of Black Mesa is more about supporting the team and our efforts than anything else. However, the Steam version will include features that the free version simply can not have. We will be paying careful attention to feedback, and you'll have a very real say in how the final game turns out.

Long-Term Plans and Xen:
We've been overwhelmed by fan anticipation for Xen, and we're excited so many people are eager to conclude the game. To be totally honest however, Xen is still a ways off. Over the past year, we have spent a HUGE amount of time porting the game to a new engine and fixing hundreds of bugs. The work to port to the new engine was not because of the decision to go retail, this was work that had to be done to get Black Mesa onto Steam and support our future plans.

So, please be patient with us as we work to make Xen a stunning and worthy conclusion to Black Mesa. Until Xen is completed, we have multiple interesting additions planned for the Steam version of Black Mesa, which we will announce later on down the road.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action