Seven - The days long gone

Shoot the shit.
Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Seven - The days long gone

Postby Snowy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:10 pm

So I have hopped into the canary seat for this one, which I have had my eye on for a while.

It is a stealth/combat/thief/RPG type title set in an isometric open cyberpunk world, where you are a master thief imprisoned on a prison planet. Think a mix of Thief and Assassins Creed crossed with Syndicate. It has been made by a group of devs including some of the CD Projekt team that made Witcher 3, which gives points in it's favour naturally.

I do enjoy a good stealth game, so took the plunge. It was an expensive gamble at £25, especially with reviews ranging from very good (PCG 81%) to very poor (IGN 4/10). Early days, I have played the tutorial and just got to the prison planet proper. Runs very nicely and I like the cel-shaded graphics (it looks nicer to play than some of the videos of the game, weirdly).

Will let you know how I get on.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Rusty

Re: Seven - The days long gone

Postby Rusty » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:02 pm

After a quick google, looks interesting

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Cheers Ian. It's a funny one this I sorta lingered at pressing buy myself but I plumped for wolfenstein instead.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:26 pm

Have been keeping half an eye on it, sounds like it's been released in a bit of a buggy state so think I may well get it but down the line.
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:36 am

OK so I have plugged four hours into this now, thought I would give you some impressions.

First and foremost, I am happy to have taken the plunge with this as I have enjoyed myself a great deal in the prison world of Peh. Secondly I have read that the campaign is quite short, 10.5 hours was mentioned somewhere that I read, but at the 4 hour mark I am only into the second visa area of the map and have barely scratched the surface, so I would say to ignore any mention of the game being short. Finally a lot has been made of the game being a 'buggy mess', but I have seen little evidence of this. The only game-breaker I have come across is if you access other menus while in dialogue it prevents the dialogue from moving on, necessitating a task manager exit, but only done that once and won't again before the bug is patched out. There are some rough edges though, which I will give some details on.

So the game then. After a brief tutorial that doesn't do much to explain the game mechanics, but it fairly easy to play through, you find yourself on a prison zeppelin to the prison planet Peh. Once there, you are 'processed' through a series of rooms, before finding yourself abandoned on the planet proper to do as you see fit. During this bit, I found one of the elements I really like - looting and time. As I moved through the prisoner processing and was getting towards the exit, I saw one prisoner beating up another. I quickly saved the game (which you will do a lot) and got stuck in. The prisoner was beaten up pretty comprehensively in a few well timed blows, and being aware that all the sexy gear I had had for the tutorial was gone, and I was in prison rags now, I wanted to change that so went to loot the body. As I ran over to where he had fallen, so did a couple of others. Looting in the game pauses time as you look at what the person/container has, but then actually taking things takes time dependent on the size and numerical amount of objects that you are taking. This guy had a weapon, some basic armour, and some cash. Great, I thought, and grabbed the cash which was the top item on the list. The little time-bar slid forward, and suddenly the inventory was empty. The others who had run up had stripped the body of everything else while I was grabbing the shekels! The NPCs in this game can be as desperate for gear and loot as you are, something I don't think I have ever seen before. Additionally, looting taking time means that pickpocketing, theft and open looting of bodies (all naughty activities) have a window that you are completing them where the game will carry on around you, giving the opportunity for a safe purloining of goods to become anything but.

Looks-wise the game is very nice, giving you an isometric view that you rotate with the mouse as you steer your way through Peh. There is a nice variation to the environment, from the shanty-town you start in with heavily guarded transit points, strongrooms and warehouses through to the swamps of the next area I visited. There is a post-apocalyptic vibe too with ruined modern buildings to be found. It plays like a bizarre mix of Diablo for combat (with a neat parry and riposte system) coupled with stealth and exploration. I would say like AssCreed only it isn't - you can fall off things rather than having the Abstergo-experienced surefootedness of the Ubi series.

And it is hard. This is a game that does not hold your hand. Getting spotted by multiple opponents can often mean your swift death, especially the technomagi. In the opening area they have a heavy presence, so my attempts to arm myself and get some cash were met with many deaths, and many desperate races to escape. Thankfully I managed to find a technomage tucked out of the way, and was able to pin him into a corner and kill him. I now have a full set of technomagi armour and weapons, which acts as a good (but not perfect) disguise for many of the earlier missions. When you get missions, they give you a rough area and often a short brief, then it is up to you. One mission tasked me with finding some visas in a technomage-held warehouse. Finding the warehouse was easy enough with the map marker, but then it is up to you to find them, you get no signposting whatsoever which is a refreshing change.

So in general yes, a good fun game, but there are some rough edges as mentioned:
- The map is pretty poor - it is difficult to work out where you are and the map does not help you navigate very well. The UI isn't great either, so working out where you are going can be tough with no indication of your current facing.
- The game needs a quicksave key! It is no real hardship to hit escape, click save, and escape again to go back into your game, but with death being seconds away at so many points a quicksave key would be a godsend.
- The tutorial does next to nothing to explain the game. They have included a comprehensive tutorial menu that can be accessed and which DOES explain for you, but it is not signposted at all.
- The map (again) shows your quest targets, but selecting particular quests from your journal can be hit and miss in highlighting the specific area in which the quest is to be found of the various circles marking the different quests you have picked up. Also I picked up a couple of quests for the second area while in the first, but have no markers that I can see for these.
- The game only lets you see the level you are on and the one(s) below you. This can make ascending levels tricky as you often do not know what is waiting for you. To creep into a facility only to clamber up a balcony or walk round a corner only to find yourself face to face with an enemy is frustrating.

Overall, there are some flaws with the game, but they are heavily outweighed by the fact that you have a genre-defying game of stealth, combat, theft, hacking, assassinating, from a very unusual perspective in a huge game world. I am enjoying it mightily.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:44 am

Thanks for the write-up mate, it does sounds intriguing. Probably won't pull the trigger just yet still, but it's definitely on my radar.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:16 pm

Cheers for the info Snowy, had my eye on this and I might pick it up at some point. The loot system sounds intriguing.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:07 pm

Aye, added to my wishlist and hope the little issues gets fixed before I snap it up. Cheers Snowy :)
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:37 am

Was patched yesterday, and a lot of bugs squashed (not many I had been aware of but that's often the way).

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:57 pm

PC Gamer review from a few days back.

http://www.pcgamer.com/seven-days-long-gone-review/

Also, some thoughts by Alec Meer.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/1 ... -good-rpg/
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Return to FPS & Action