Star Wars Battlefront 2

Shoot the shit.
Jez

Re: Star Wars Battlefront 2

Postby Jez » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:47 pm

Thats a poor example of what I was trying to say.

The chance aspect is important you are right. In BF1 the chance aspect is there with opening loot boxes to obtain cosmetic items, I'm sure people do spend money on them but its ok, it has no effect on anyone elses game really. Have i been tempted? No not at all. Wont judge others that do though with that game.

Paul

Postby Paul » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:47 am

I'm glad a shit-storm has been kicked up over this nonsense.

I was going to buy the game for the SP campaign, but EA can fuck right off.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:50 am

Everyone who buys one of these slot machine loot boxes or microtransaction in a game they've already paid to buy is making a conscious decision to support the practice and encourage the companies who continue to push the envelope to get consumers to pay through the nose for their product.

It is the bit in bold which is a judgement on someone's actions. People are within their rights to say that they think all this stuff is bad, however I'd rather people didn't make judgements on everyone who buys one claiming they are responsible for all the ways the system is being abused. I buy Dota skins to support the developer for keeping the game up to date and adding additional content, people buy Overwatch skins for similar reasons.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:56 am

Companies don't look at individual customers' motivations, only the fact that people are paying for stuff in-game and profits are burgeoning. This encourages them. It's basically normal behaviour now for people to click on stuff in-game that costs them money, it wasn't a decade ago. Where will this lead us in another 10 years?

You may believe you're doing it for the noblest of reasons, but to the suits who are looking for ways to change consumer behaviour and gouge ever-rising amounts from gamers it matters not a jot.

I've had my say and I'm leaving it here. I'm sorry if I've upset anyone, believe me the last thing that interests me is confrontation and I'm on the verge of a panic attack just writing this, but I don't repent of what I've said as I truly believe this is where the industry is heading.
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:30 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Everyone who buys one of these slot machine loot boxes or microtransaction in a game they've already paid to buy is making a conscious decision to support the practice and encourage the companies who continue to push the envelope to get consumers to pay through the nose for their product.

It is the bit in bold which is a judgement on someone's actions. People are within their rights to say that they think all this stuff is bad, however I'd rather people didn't make judgements on everyone who buys one claiming they are responsible for all the ways the system is being abused. I buy Dota skins to support the developer for keeping the game up to date and adding additional content, people buy Overwatch skins for similar reasons.

But it does encourage it. In simple black and white terms, when you buy their stuff you are encouraging their business practice. There is no moral judgment there.

When you buy an iPad you are directly contributing to Apple's continued use of low paid Chinese labour. Does that mean that we're saying you bought an iPad because you're a terrible person who likes the idea of Chinese factory workers earning a poor wage? Of course it doesn't. You probably bought one because you like iPads.

Stop equating economics with morality; you are literally giving them your money, that is support and encouragement of their business model, it doesn't also mean that you also relish the idea of publishers exploiting people by manipulating them into spending hundreds of pounds on randomised loot crates; unless you're Evol, we already know he's a terrible person.

katarn

Postby katarn » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:39 pm

Sly Boots wrote:I'm sorry if I've upset anyone, believe me the last thing that interests me is confrontation and I'm on the verge of a panic attack just writing this, but I don't repent of what I've said as I truly believe this is where the industry is heading.

It's alright Sly, you've said nothing wrong. Last thing we want is for this place to make people afraid of saying what's on their mind. That's far more worrying to me than if someone chooses to take offense at an opinion.

Anyway, I wonder what kind of sales figures will get released for this in a month or so? I'm really interested if there's an actual impact.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:30 pm

Apparently there is a massive push on refunding so it's hard to say what the numbers will be I suppose.

Like I said above I'm getting a refund but that's mainly because I felt the game was a load of old pump.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:58 pm

I'm not going to contribute anything more to the discussion. I will just finish by saying that the tone of this discussion has very much taken a turn towards one side being seen as the superior. People may not have meant it to come off like that, but when you start stating opinion as fact and using certain language, especially stuff like saying people are part of the problem, then you start to make things more personal and it takes on an air of superiority.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:12 pm

I haven't read it like that at all (although maybe that's because I agree with the anti-microtransaction argument). In fact I'd say the discussion around it has been very civilised with no intended animosity. Honestly DJ - and I say this with absolutely no intended offence or superiority - I think you may be assuming it's personal when it's not. Apologies if anything I've said was taken that way.

I do stand by everything I said, though. :P
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:06 pm

I think everyone should just kiss and get it over with.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:10 pm

Medicine Man wrote:I think everyone should just kiss and get it over with.

That's your answer to everything...
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:12 pm

It's when he's puckering up his arse that I worry though.... :)

My refund came through just now. Very quick and easy fair play EA.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:14 pm

Jez wrote: Very quick and easy fair play EA.

I get the sense they've had a lot of practice ;)
My face is tired.

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:38 am

Jez wrote:It's when he's puckering up his arse that I worry though.... :)

My refund came through just now. Very quick and easy fair play EA.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:13 am

The comments thread makes an interesting read:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/1 ... /#comments

One poster in particular sums up my thoughts pretty succinctly:

ColonelFlanders says:

This is just it. It’s happened before. People get pissed off, then people get outrage fatigue and just start accepting it because they’re tired of being mad about it

They did it with DLC and people ignored it, believing the bullshit hype about mini expansions and post release content. They then started locking things that SHOULD have been in the game behind paywalls and we all went ‘fuck’.

They did it with Microtransactions and people said “Well you don’t HAVE to buy them, they’re optional, not only that but they’re cheap little addons you can have to enjoy your experience more”. Then they released Dead Space 3, and we all went ‘fuck’.

They did it with Lootboxes in TF2, then later Overwatch and the apologists said “IT’S JUST COSMETIC REE”. Then they started adding Pay to Win horseshit into games like this, Shadow of War and so on. And you know what’s coming next. When next year’s releases happen and we see how deeply infested they are with money-grabbing gatchas, we’ll all be going ‘FUCK’.
My face is tired.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action