Medieval: total snore?

The strategy of playing ones role.
TEO

Medieval: total snore?

Postby TEO » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:35 pm

Did anyone else get bored of this game quite quickly?

It's odd - I loved Shogun but after about ten games I put Medieval away and never played it again. It's not that I found Medieval offensive in any way, it was a singularly innocous little creature, but I was just expecting more from it. The politics are a bit dull to be honest and you feel like you're being confined. Also by the time I got near the end of the game I began to let the computer sort out the battles.

Will Rome freshen up the series?
"This post is a mere illusion, albeit a very persistent one"

Snake Eater

Postby Snake Eater » Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:22 pm

I bought this recently and was really enjoying it until H&D2 came along. I'm trying to alternate between the two, but H&D2 keeps calling me all the time :P

Seriously though Medieval is not something that can be rushed. I spend quite a lot of time analysing the map, building the right structures and armies, making my moves, before I hit the end turn button. The battles are just great because each one is completely different from the previous one you fought.

Rome is going to be the shits! 8)
Image]

TEO

Postby TEO » Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:30 pm

Getting the computer to do battles for you is like nicotine...it's addictive and what comes afterwards is no fun. I suppose I should just be less lazy. The politics and the whole castle thing are still a bit silly.

hostilex

Postby hostilex » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:02 am

TEO wrote:Getting the computer to do battles for you is like nicotine...it's addictive and what comes afterwards is no fun. I suppose I should just be less lazy. The politics and the whole castle thing are still a bit silly.

youre right there

once my empire was a certain size, i couldnt be arsed anymore, and just auto-fought every battle untill i pwned the entire map

it got realy annoying

but the moments before it wained away were many, and for that part of the game i found it fantastic
things i love:
c) masturbation
d) those collapsing wooden toys
e) pink cd-rs

threelions

Postby threelions » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:15 am

I really enjoyed the first time through but everytime i play it through after i never complete the game i get to a certain point and lose intrest. The politics dont really affect anything as far as i can tell more decoration than anything that really affects the game. Im still looking forward to Rome though.
I went into the gas station, said, "Fill 'er up, Harry."
The guy said, "Regular?"
I said, "No, put on a gorrila suit and dance like a fairy."

Gunner

Postby Gunner » Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:21 am

TEO wrote:Getting the computer to do battles for you is like nicotine...it's addictive and what comes afterwards is no fun. I suppose I should just be less lazy. The politics and the whole castle thing are still a bit silly.

nothing wrong with that, just do it right from the start on small battles, ie 100 peasants have an uprising.

just fight the big battles
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become."
-Buddha

TEO

Postby TEO » Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:19 am

But I liked the small ones the best!

Gunner

Postby Gunner » Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:53 am

then do it the other way round :lol:
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become."
-Buddha

hostilex

Postby hostilex » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:12 pm

i found that even if you had much better units -
ie 2 squads of horse knights
if you got the computre to fight a battle against an enemy with more units
ie 6 squads of peasants
you would lose

however if you played it yerself, it would be easy to win :?
things i love:
c) masturbation
d) those collapsing wooden toys
e) pink cd-rs

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:10 pm

You will be surprised what you can pull out of the bag by playing the battles your self, even ones that look totally hopeless can be turned around.

Many a time I have been out numbered and looked like loosing a battle, only to turn things around some how. (many a time I have got my ass kicked also).

Vidrageon

Postby Vidrageon » Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:15 pm

gpa-gone-west wrote:You will be surprised what you can pull out of the bag by playing the battles your self, even ones that look totally hopeless can be turned around.

Many a time I have been out numbered and looked like loosing a battle, only to turn things around some how. (many a time I have got my ass kicked also).

By inferior forces as well? :P

Nilly

Postby Nilly » Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:34 pm

that dosnt sound like a completely medieval thing, on shogun you can have a well balencedarmy of 500, against a well balanced army of 200, and lose utterly unless you do it yourself :? .
eVol wrote:Nilly tops my cool peoples list! :D

Mogster

Postby Mogster » Sat Nov 01, 2003 2:36 pm

They really should have used a new engine for the MTW 3D battles. The clunky GFX and obvious 2D sprites spoil the game for me. Its a shame as it has so much going for it.

MOG

Smokey

Postby Smokey » Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:04 pm

I would imagine that they may go back and do Medieval:Total War 2 but with an advanced Rome: Total War engine and more features that they incorporate into Rome.

M:TW didn't do the Medieval period justice for me, despite it being a really good game, it could be vastly improved.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:07 pm

I loved the game at times and hated it on others. I found the biggest turn off is that the risk map is too big. After your Empire expands over 1/2 of Europe it almost becomes unmanageable with you forever trawling through the arrow keys to check up on your regions taxes, buildings, armies and so on one after the other

It was because of this and that some battles could take up to 1/2 - 1 hour I think people got a little tired of it and just rushed it so that it could be completed.

In essense it became dull for some simply because it was too large in strategy and too detailed on the war front.

In respect to the "quick" war generator - its faultless.
Games playing : Doom / Attila Total War / Syndicate

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing