American Accents in Medieval style RPGs = NO!

The strategy of playing ones role.
Gibby
 
Posts: 17255
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:06 pm

American Accents in Medieval style RPGs = NO!

Postby Gibby » Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:53 pm

Do any of you agree that if there's an RPG set in the Medieval style world, such as Baldurs Gate etc... no voice actor should use an american accent, like Imoen. The same goes for any films set in this time period, why American accents? It's just wrong. Gaaargh! Sorry but it annoys me.

User avatar
Nilly
 
Posts: 10603
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:58 pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: American Accents in Medieval style RPGs = NO!

Postby Nilly » Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:45 pm

GibbyDude wrote:Do any of you agree that if there's an RPG set in the Medieval style world, such as Baldurs Gate etc... no voice actor should use an american accent, like Imoen. The same goes for any films set in this time period, why American accents? It's just wrong. Gaaargh! Sorry but it annoys me.



I think seeing as the people who generally do voice acting for rpgs in that time scale are american, it might be hard not to.
eVol wrote:Nilly tops my cool peoples list! :D

tester02
 
Posts: 4408
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:24 pm

Postby tester02 » Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:33 pm

Then why dont they...get this...hire some English people to do it?

Gibby
 
Posts: 17255
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:06 pm

Postby Gibby » Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:31 pm

Then of course the term : Voice ACTOR! applies, if they can't do English accents, then WHY THE SMEG ARE THEY HIRED AS ACTORS!?

User avatar
Nilly
 
Posts: 10603
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:58 pm
Location: Nottingham

Postby Nilly » Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:04 am

BoggyB wrote:Then why dont they...get this...hire some English people to do it?


Because unlesds english people were anywhere near them they'd have to pay alot of money to get some to go over there and do it for them :roll: .
eVol wrote:Nilly tops my cool peoples list! :D

tester02
 
Posts: 4408
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:24 pm

Postby tester02 » Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:34 pm

Why dont they record it in this country using some 'sound recording equipment', and then send it over via the wonders of t'internet?


Im just arguing for the sake of it here.

:roll: Doesnt this smiley really annoy you?

burntgorilla
 
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:19 pm

Postby burntgorilla » Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:37 pm

Well, English actors wouldn't be much good if they're from some mythical country. For all you know, their accents might sound just like the American one.
If you notice this notice then you'll notice that this notice is not worth noticing.

User avatar
Nilly
 
Posts: 10603
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:58 pm
Location: Nottingham

Postby Nilly » Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:54 pm

BoggyB wrote:Why dont they record it in this country using some 'sound recording equipment', and then send it over via the wonders of t'internet?


Im just arguing for the sake of it here.

:roll: Doesnt this smiley really annoy you?



They'd still have to pay lots of money :P and yes, i do like :roll: .


:roll:
eVol wrote:Nilly tops my cool peoples list! :D

Gibby
 
Posts: 17255
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:06 pm

Postby Gibby » Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:33 pm

BoggyB wrote: :roll: Doesnt this smiley really annoy you?


Only when some fuckwit uses it to be annoying or a smartarse (Not you Neb, yours was Ok I suppose :wink: )

User avatar
Gunner
 
Posts: 6429
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:22 pm
Location: National Portrait Gallery... Being Hypnotised

Postby Gunner » Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:11 pm

GibbyDude wrote:
BoggyB wrote: :roll: Doesnt this smiley really annoy you?


Only when some fuckwit uses it to be annoying or a smartarse (Not you Neb, yours was Ok I suppose :wink: )



Yes yes, the fill up my page with hunderds of smilys gag is really very funny gunneruk2000, but it gets old REALLY quickly, and 200? that's just obscene... it annoys me, other people and causes problems on slow PCs, DON'T do it again *slaps wrist* - Peeps
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become."
-Buddha

MikeO
 

Postby MikeO » Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:24 pm

.. thats just over the top.

Guest
 

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:51 pm

gunner_uk2000 wrote:
GibbyDude wrote:
BoggyB wrote: :roll: Doesnt this smiley really annoy you?


Only when some fuckwit uses it to be annoying or a smartarse (Not you Neb, yours was Ok I suppose :wink: )


Guest, whoever you may be, it's not very clever to quote the entirity of something like that now is it? especially since you're complaining about it ;) - Peopls


Argh, I'm getting low framerates... what are the system requirements for this graphical specular?

User avatar
hostilex
 
Posts: 6740
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:15 pm

Postby hostilex » Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:33 am

Anonymous wrote:...



ooooh an Anon user.. who could it be?


*pulls out old-style magnifying glass, two-peaked hat and pipe*
things i love:
c) masturbation
d) those collapsing wooden toys
e) pink cd-rs

burntgorilla
 
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:19 pm

Postby burntgorilla » Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:48 pm

*Giggles at Prey*
If you notice this notice then you'll notice that this notice is not worth noticing.

TEO
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:43 pm
Location: Bloomsbury, London

Postby TEO » Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:27 pm

American is just as akin to medieval English as modern English is, in fact it's closer. American English is more like Tudor English (the famous pro-American, anti-voice beautiful Shakespeare argument).
"This post is a mere illusion, albeit a very persistent one"

Next

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests