Making Movies!

The strategy of playing ones role.
elgaucho

Making Movies!

Postby elgaucho » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:25 pm

There's a new Gamespy Preview for Peter Molyneux's new pet project, the intriguing and sure to be scandalous The Movies.
While many people didn't take to B&W (I loved the idea and achievement of the game, but found it damn boring),
If old Pete can get the fun balance in here, then this is sure to be a Blockbuster hit on its release!

Check out the Official site:
http://www.themoviesgame.com/

The Movies is set up to span the time for the 1900s to 2010. The 1900s will almost be like a tutorial since it was very simple to make movies back then.
The player can attempt to handle all the challenges of running the studio, making movies, keeping stars happy and turning a profit, or they can go to a
freeform sandbox mode where they don't have to worry about the money.

We really wanted this to be a light-hearted romp through the studio process. Right now, there are three aspects to the game:
designing your studios, nurturing the movie stars, and making the movies themselves.

Read the full preview here:
http://www.gamespy.com/previews/february04/themoviespc/

More screenshots:
http://www.gamespy.com/previews/februar ... hots.shtml
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

Gunner

Postby Gunner » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:27 pm

looks like a [insert crap idea] Tycoon Game to me :?

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:49 pm

I don
End of an Era

elgaucho

Postby elgaucho » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:52 pm

I'm interested in this, if only because of a distinct lack of cerebral games lately. I really need something that requires a little thought before you act, and I'm hoping this might be it.

Seems ambiguous, yes, but Molyneux is ambiguous, and it seems vague, hell yes, the concept is enough to scare most people. But IF it works it could be very good. I'm willing to wait and see! :wink:
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

Flash

Postby Flash » Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:01 pm

Does anybody remember Stunt Island. That was pretty cool in its day (12 years ago) You could script vehicles and objects to set up stunt sequences then fly or drive some of the vehicles yourself then cut it into a film using the various camera angles.

hostilex

Postby hostilex » Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:16 pm

yeah i dont know if he's going to be able to pull it off, and give you the right amount of control when creating the movies themselves (the "slider" idea sounds so simplistic and limited) but im still looking forward to it... id like to see how hes gonna pull it off and ill probably buy it on release if there isnt a demo or any bad reviews... and i have the time...

and it does sorta sounds like Theme Park but with movies
:?
things i love:
c) masturbation
d) those collapsing wooden toys
e) pink cd-rs

banapaulo

Postby banapaulo » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:20 am

Personally I love the sound of this game. I was pretty excited when it was being announced, which was a while back, and considering it's not coming out till late 2005, they must have put some effort into it. It is Peter Molyneux, and I don't think he'll make a simple Tycoon game here. This has great potential.
katarn wrote:Oh yeah! I agree with Banapaulo. 8)

Akky

Postby Akky » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:04 pm

I can't wait my self. :D

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:17 pm

''The Sims: Friday Night At The Movies'' ;)

I know I'll hate this, it will promise the world and deliver nothing that I want :( .....or maybe I'm wrong, time will tell.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Akky

Postby Akky » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:31 pm

You just want to recreate Evil Dead trilogy

Gunner

Postby Gunner » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:45 pm

banapaulo wrote:Personally I love the sound of this game. I was pretty excited when it was being announced, which was a while back, and considering it's not coming out till late 2005, they must have put some effort into it. It is Peter Molyneux, and I don't think he'll make a simple Tycoon game here. This has great potential.

but he spent ages making black and white, look how that pile of shite turned out

elgaucho

Postby elgaucho » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:00 pm

so it didn't turn out to be a popular game for many. So what? Give the game a chance!

What did he set out to do originally with B&W? Did he succeed in THAT? Yes, i think he did, if not to perfection. So if it didn't work it's because people didn't take to the concept ("it was boring"), not because the design of the game was poor. The idea was genius.

And look at his track record. This is a man who's been pushing the boundaries of gaming more than almost any other developer in the industry! I think it would be foolish to outright dismiss the game because you didn't like B&W!

Founded Bullfrog Productions Ltd. Creator of the first god sim game, Populous. Designer of other best-selling games: Powermonger, Magic Carpet, Theme Park and Dungeon Keeper.

Peter Molyneux is one of the best-known names in the international world of computer games. In 1987 he formed Bullfrog Productions Ltd. to develop an idea he had for a new type of strategy game. His unique approach, in which the player is a sort of deity ruling over his minions, was (inevitably) copied by other designers and became known generically as a god-sim, Populous was an instant success and has since sold over 4 million copies, placing it amongst the top ten most successful computer games of all time.

Populous was followed up with Powermonger, Magic Carpet, Syndicate, Magic Carpet 2 and Theme Park. Each sold over 400,000 copies and Peter's reputation as one of the leading computer game designers in the world was firmly established.

In 1995, Bullfrog was purchased by Californian leisure software giant Electronic Arts. The deal made Peter a wealthy man whilst maintaining his position as Managing Director of Bullfrog. However, he discovered that working within a large corporation involved spending more of his time in managerial meetings and less on game design and development. So Peter decided to resign his position. His new plan was to put together a team of like-minded enthusiast to develop games, and leave the distribution and marketing business to the corporate experts. The result is Lionhead.

Before leaving Bullfrog, Peter completed his most ambitious design project yet. Dungeon Keeper, released in July 1997, is a masterpiece of design. Packed with original features, the game received highest ever scores from several magazines and won awards even before it was released. It became Electronic Arts's most successful release, selling over 500,000 units in its first month.

An articulate and eloquent speaker, Peter has given talks at the British Film Institute, the American Museum of the Moving Image, the Institute of Contemporary Arts and the Dortmund Museum of History and Culture. At one particular business symposium in Japan, Peter was the lead speaker, billed above another of the PC industry's gurus, a certain Bill Gates of Microsoft.

At 41, Peter is, as one newspaper put it: an eccentric character and is still obsessed with games. In addition to its secret passages, his home has pinball, table football and pool machines. He spent several thousand pounds on a specially-designed boardgaming table with pop-up screens and drawers for the players. He also has a reputation as a party animal who loves arranging events. His lavish bash to celebrate the completion of Dungeon Keeper has taken on legendary status within the industry.
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

banapaulo

Postby banapaulo » Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:09 pm

gunner_uk2000 wrote:
banapaulo wrote:Personally I love the sound of this game. I was pretty excited when it was being announced, which was a while back, and considering it's not coming out till late 2005, they must have put some effort into it. It is Peter Molyneux, and I don't think he'll make a simple Tycoon game here. This has great potential.

but he spent ages making black and white, look how that pile of shite turned out

He neither set out to make a tycoon game or ended up with one. That's what I'm saying. This won't be a simple tycoon game because Peter Molyneux has big ambitions with his games, even if he doesn't reach them. There's much more chance this turning out a flawed classic than a safe tycoon clone.

banapaulo

Postby banapaulo » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:42 am

The Movies will be released this year, according to a preview on Ferrago. Most interesting is this quote:

The Movies is being created for the PC, Xbox, PS2 and Nintendo GameCube - and what's more console versions will not just be ports, the developer is quick to assert, "The Movies will take advantage of each console's strengths... we are not talking about ports; every version is done by a different team."

Sniffs of Enter The Matrix a bit to me, but still sounds promising.

Just as interesting is the official FAQ, online here. Highlights by EuroGamer:

[b]In a whistle stop tour of the best bits of the FAQ, there won't be demo, you can write your own scripts or choose one, you can upload your movies and compete for the Stanley award, movies can be between 30 seconds and three minutes long, you can do your own voiceovers, it's modable, there will be set/props for download, and no, they don't say when it

Vidrageon

Postby Vidrageon » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:36 am

Well we'll see how this one turns out...if it turns out to be good it'll be really good, it it turns out to be bad then he shall be out of a job. Time will tell.

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing