Gothic II Thread

The strategy of playing ones role.
P R E Y

Gothic II Thread

Postby P R E Y » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:24 am

Well I finally got hold of it (thanks to Smokey) and I`m raring to get stuck in although I wont know what the hell I`m doing being a rather prominent RPG n00b (on this scale anyway) so any hints, tips, advice all of you who are more than familiar with the game, I would greatly appreciate. With KOTOR refusing to play ball this was my 2nd and long term sought out option and if it delivers like so many of you have promised then I know I`m in for a treat. Anything you can think of guys to make my task that little bit more focused or just plain easier as a n00b do not hesitate to mention it. Thanks All.

Carl

Postby Carl » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:33 am

What's it like so far? I'm interested in this title.

P R E Y

Postby P R E Y » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:35 am

Only just installed it Tetsuo mate :oops:

Will try and post some first impressions tomorrow bud :wink:

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:21 am

Ive been hoping for a double pack, but alas no luck so far (and I want to complete the first before I venture into the second.)
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

banapaulo

Postby banapaulo » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:56 am

Ditto eVoL. Really want to get this, but want to get the first one first. No doubt I won't have time to complete it. I just love this kind of game. People compare it to Morrowind but personally I don't care which people prefer, I want a taste of both. Can't get enough of a freeform world for me to explore.
katarn wrote:Oh yeah! I agree with Banapaulo. 8)

Carl

Postby Carl » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:23 am

Is it like Morrowind but with more NPC interaction i.e not stood around doing nothing?

banapaulo

Postby banapaulo » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:33 am

Supposedly. I hear they actually go inside at night time, and maybe even sleep...

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:44 am

banapaulo wrote:Supposedly. I hear they actually go inside at night time, and maybe even sleep...
Thats just crazy talk!

banapaulo

Postby banapaulo » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:47 am

Such a thing is unheard of, I know. But, what...what if it's true?

Silliness aside, this would be good, because as much as I love Morrowind, having people stand outside 24/7 is just wrong. They could at least sit down or something. What would be great would be seeing other adventurers about, unscripted, fighting creatures, staying at inns, buying from shops...ah, we can but dream.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:05 am

not-NEWS JUST IN!

FANTASY BASED MOD FOR S.T.A.L.K.E.R IN THE WORKS!

;)

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:20 am

Well, I just finished Gothic 2 on sunday.

There is more interaction/conversation than morrowind with npc's, but not a huge amount more.

When it gets dark, the city traders close up and go to bed, and the taverns fill up. Also some mobs go to sleep.

Not as much flexability in your character creation/leveling up as in morrowind.

Much smaller island to explore than morrowind.

The forests are a nice touch, they get a little creepy at night.

The voice acting is a little silly at times.

Quick saves and mouse control are disabled by default, edit the ini file after you install to enable them.

Bugs

Save often, and have several save files because it crashes to desktop now and again. Some times you will load up your save game and it will crash, dont dispare, start up a new game and then load your save and it will work. Also disable music because sound seems to be the main culprit as far as crashing goes.

All in all a very good game, more in your face than morrowind, not as slow paced either, some nice little touches, not as much flexability with your character as morrowind. Great though.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:28 am

gpa-gone-west wrote:Not as much flexability in your character creation/leveling up as in morrowind.
*grumbles*

Character flexability is what draws me to rpgs.

elgaucho

Postby elgaucho » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:35 am

it also takes about ten minutes to startup the game, which is a pain.

But what i saw of it (up to the first city) was very interesting. Levelling is more on a par with trad rpg's than morrowind, so you'll be getting points via quests. Also watch out for the woods early on, as there are some nasty creatures there! :shock:

Also, see if you can't find an alternate way of sneaking into town without using the main gate! :wink:
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:47 am

elgaucho wrote:it also takes about ten minutes to startup the game, which is a pain.

But what i saw of it (up to the first city) was very interesting. Levelling is more on a par with trad rpg's than morrowind, so you'll be getting points via quests. Also watch out for the woods early on, as there are some nasty creatures there! :shock:

Also, see if you can't find an alternate way of sneaking into town without using the main gate! :wink:

If you disable the intro video's via the ini file, its quite quick at starting up, also the first city is the only city :)

Getting in the city is only a problem first time you try, unless you do something dodgy (which I did quite often) then the guards will fine you.

If you get some spare time on your hands in the game, you can go down the docks, pay 50 gold and get your oats :D all with a nice little fmv as well.

elgaucho

Postby elgaucho » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:04 am

yeah, but there is an alternate way of getting in first time without trouble or clothes. just requires a jog through the woods! :P
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

Next

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing