Wreckfest

The strategy of playing ones role.
Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Wreckfest

Postby Snowy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:12 am

I am guessing everyone knows about this one - Bugbear's long-in-the-gestation sequel to the Flatout games.

I absolutely adored Flatout 2, and sank endless hours into it over many years. This one looked a bit iffy for quite a while (early access for years), but they have finally pulled the rabbit from the hat, and I took the plunge via a CD Keys 'discount'.

I am really pleased I did too. It is a cracking racer that plays to everything that every racer should be about - spectacular crashes. The cars, track elements, so much is destructible just as it was in Flatout. What starts out as a pristine racetrack is soon littered with bits of car, tyres and wood from clattered barriers, smouldering wrecked cars etc.

The driving model is great fun too. Tracks are a mixture of mud, gravel and tarmac and the cars screech and slide their way around in a really intuitive way.

This is a game that embraces the absurd. In the SP 'campaign' I have taken part in a lawnmower race, several demolition derbies, and had to complete an oval race in first place when I was in a Reliant Robin, starting from the back of the grid and racing against 16 buses. These are all fun, but it is the races that are the meat - battling your way through the tracks against some decent and highly aggressive opposition is great fun.

The tracks vary from standard racetracks to figure-8 and tracks which have stretches where both directions of track are side by side with no barriers. Spotting an accident approaching and hammering underneath a spinning car as it whirls overhead is pretty exhilarating.

It can be frustrating, with a bad crash putting you out of contention quite easily, but the races are just so much fun that doing them again is not really a concern.

And then you have multiplayer - I have not tried it yet, but expect it will be a riot.

So yeah, little bit expensive at the moment, but if you want a game that is 100% aimed at being fun, you could do a whole lot worse.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

DjchunKfunK

Re: Wreckfest

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:18 am

Out of stock, would have been really tempted at that price, Destruction Derby is one of my favourite racing games of all time.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:31 pm

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:21 am

Really enjoying this. So moreish :)

Here is a guy racing a little compact - I had to trawl to screen out the endless dudebro stains on YouTube, I am so nice to you lot. OK he is a bit of a big girl's blouse, but still :)

Mack liked it too:

RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing