Pillars of Eternity 2: Out today

The strategy of playing ones role.
Jez

Re: Pillars of Eternity 2: Out today

Postby Jez » Mon May 14, 2018 4:14 pm

Might give this a go when I get back home seems interesting.

katarn

Postby katarn » Mon May 14, 2018 5:20 pm

It does sound quite intriguing what they've done. I am reading about quite a few bugs/broken quests at the moment though, so I'll wait a couple of months before trying it.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Sat May 26, 2018 9:49 am

Finished it after 55 hours, most sub-quests completed. For the most part, this is one of the best RPGs I've ever played, up there with the greats. Where it falters is in the main quest, as it's perfunctory and almost ignored by the rest of the game, but that's not as big an issue as it sounds as POE2 isn't really about a colossal god striding across the sea, leaving destruction in his wake. It's about the Deadfire and its people, all vying for power and control for different reasons. That conflict comprises the majority of the game, and it's superb. The fact that these factions are only vaguely concerned with Eothas and what he's up to may be intentional - possibly setting the tone that mortals aren't truly concerned with what the gods actually want or what actions they actually take, but rather their concern is what they imagine the gods motives are. They use these imagined motives to further their own goals, or in some cases reject the gods entirely because they don't care. At the same time, the gods are doing their own thing, regardless of what the mortals want or believe. It's a dichotomy between gods and mortals that I don't think is entirely accidental, even if that is at the expense of the main quest line.

The game is at its absolute best when you ignore what you're 'supposed' to be doing and sail off into uncharted waters to explore. That is a pure joy, and there are plenty of intrigues and treasures to be found. The complicated relationships between factions and your part in them are also interesting, if confusing at times, and the scope for the many ways in which that can play out is impressive. It faltered at the end as I thought I'd done everything I needed to do to secure my allegiance with one particular faction but apparently I hadn't, and the implied way of achieving that was no longer an option. It was unclear if that was a bug or if I'd done something wrong, but it was an unfortunate complication.

On the whole this is an excellent game, far better than the first in every way.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Previous

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing