Pillars of Eternity 2: Out today

The strategy of playing ones role.
DjchunKfunK

Pillars of Eternity 2: Out today

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue May 08, 2018 2:59 pm

The game is out today and I managed to snag a cheap copy yesterday with some store credit I had. I was pretty disappointed with the first game and never finished it, but considering it was going cheap and didn't actually cost me anything I thought I would take the plunge with the second game, despite my reservations.

Anyone else planning to pick this up?
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Pillars of Eternity 2: Out today

Postby Sly Boots » Tue May 08, 2018 3:00 pm

Not at this time. My experience with the first one exactly mirrors yours by the sound of it, so would be interested in your thoughts on this one.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue May 08, 2018 3:04 pm

I liked the combat in the first one and thought the start was strong, but the world never grabbed me, neither did the story itself and I just lost interest. The first game every much felt like you were playing after all the interesting stuff had happened with the God Weapon, or whatever it was called. I think the setting this time round is a lot more interesting and hopefully they have been able to build on the lore a bit more. I think going in with low expectations will help as well, the first game was one of my most anticipated games in a long while.

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue May 08, 2018 3:16 pm

I thought the same about PoE the first time I tried it, but forced myself to re-assess it a year or two later and got into it.

I never loved it or engaged with the story much, but I got along with the general fighty gameplay. Mechanically it was a nice throwback to the BG games, but didn't have any of the charm/characters/storylines.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue May 08, 2018 3:19 pm

Felt the same way about the world, story and even many of the characters. Then I hit a point where even the fight mechanics started to feel like rote, with every battle essentially playing out the same way, and I stopped playing and never went back to it.

So I guess I'd be looking for a more engaging story, more interesting characters and more varied gameplay, particularly the battle mechanics.
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed May 09, 2018 10:10 am

I backed PoE2 and started it last night - already seems like an improvement across the board. Worth pointing out that I apparently enjoyed the first game a lot more than most here, though. :)
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed May 09, 2018 10:45 am

I made a character and played about five minutes before I had to log off. I can't remember if multi-classes were more powerful in the first game so went with a one class character, but I'm kinda regretting going with a Rogue.

EDIT: Turns out multi-classes are new for this game. #-o

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed May 09, 2018 11:09 am

I've imported my priest of Eothas from the first game, as I'm hoping that will have some interesting ramifications given the subject of the story.

EDIT - One really nice touch is that when someone joins your party, you get a couple of character-appropriate classes to choose from rather than their class being fixed. Makes it much easier to balance party classes while keeping the characters you're interested in.

Photos!

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon May 14, 2018 12:20 pm

16 hours in and it's fair to say POE2 is better than the first game in every way. A lot of this can be attributed to its setting, the Deadfire, which is colourful and detailed and ripe for exploration and, crucially, nothing at all like the vanilla fantasy plains and woods of POE1's Dyrwood. The plot is deeply embedded in the lore already set down but is cleanly distinct from the first game, and I'd say it's a much easier buy-in for those who couldn't get invested before. Fair warning that the opening paragraphs of the game spoil everything about POE1's ending, though.

The quests I've encountered so far have been engaging, intricate affairs which intermingle with each other and tug at threads belonging to various factions, most of which have blurred lines of loyalty, influence and ethics. It's what you'd expect, only done with much more character and intrigue than POE1. What I didn't expect is that this is also more or less a fully-fledged pirate RPG complete with crew management, daring piratical escapades, ship combat and exploration of uncharted territories. For me it works really well, although the ship combat is not immediately intuitive as it's done via a more detailed version of the 'choose your own adventure' style screens.

I'm having a blast with it so far, and while I'm interested by the main story I'm far more interested in simply exploring the amazing, vast world that Obsidian have created. Skipping from port to port as an itinerant pirate captain, getting into rowdy tavern disputes and then heading off to claim a bounty on a rogue buccaneer or hunt down a long-lost treasure in a sunken city is something I never expected from this sort of RPG, but here it is, and shiver me timbers it doesn't half work well.

And yes, there are sea-shanties. Good ones.

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon May 14, 2018 1:10 pm

How are you finding the combat, mate? Is it the same as the first game?

In that, I found every battle was basically the same - set up 3 party members as frontliners to move forward and engage the enemy (keeping them pinned effectively as enemies can't disengage from battle), then pew-pew from a bit further back with the spell-casters, all rattling off the same fairly limited range of spells.

It was fine at first, but found when I hit the 30-40 hours mark that it had worn a bit thin.
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon May 14, 2018 1:36 pm

It's largely the same as the first game, with some tweaks to how spells work. Rather than having a wide selection of spells that you can cast X times a day, you now have a much narrower selection of spells that you can cast once or twice per fight (kind of like how the class abilities like knockdown work). I don't think it makes much of a difference, really. To be frank, combat was never a big pull for me in POE and I was happy tooting through on easy, which is what I'm doing now. One good thing with combat is that you now get a choice at the start whether you want to adjust enemy levels so they're always relative to your characters (i.e. easy, medium or hard regardless of what level your characters are). I've turned that off because I like that there will be bastard-tough enemies I encounter at low levels that I have no hope of beating until later. One springs to mind already. I also like that at higher levels I'll be wading through peon monsters slicing them to shreds, just like a pirate king should do.

So yeah, the combat isn't all that different, but I'm probably not the best person to judge that. :wink:

Photos!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon May 14, 2018 2:23 pm

Best thing about the game is that it is basically a Pirate RPG. It's all about exploring and getting involved in the intrigue between the various factions. The main story kind of carries on in the background and you can pay as little or as much attention to it as you want.

My only real complaint so far is that because I didn't play a huge amount of the first game I don't really have any connection to any of the returning characters so there is hardly any impact when I meet one. Also I sometimes feel a bit lost storywise whenever someone references events from the previous game.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon May 14, 2018 3:19 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:My only real complaint so far is that because I didn't play a huge amount of the first game I don't really have any connection to any of the returning characters

I've completed POE1 three times and I still have no connection to Eder or Aloth. :lol:

The newly introduced companions seem more interesting, particularly the rapscallion orlan pirate, Serafen.

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon May 14, 2018 3:26 pm

It sounds interesting at least. I think I'm still going to wait until it hits the £15-20 mark as there's still a chance I won't finish it as with the first, but will be keeping an eye out at least.

I can't even remember which one was Aloth :-k

I remember Eder, though I didn't particularly warm to any of the characters from the first game.
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon May 14, 2018 3:57 pm

Aloth is the wizard elf with the split personality. Funnily enough, both he and Eder are voiced by the excellent Matt Mercer, of Critical Role fame (which is also why a free Critical Role portrait and voice pack is available for POE2).

Photos!

Next

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing